Ebay warning

ZEUS121996

I think the Ebay seller's fees are pretty steep compared to PP fees. I think 3% isn't too bad to send money. I see your point Metro, the more expensive items can get out of line. Maybe a descending percentage for the more expensive items, or add the cost to the item if the buyers uses PP.

I think the Ebay seller's fees are pretty steep compared to PP fees. I think 3% isn't too bad to send money. I see your point Metro, the more expensive items can get out of line. Maybe a descending percentage for the more expensive items, or add the cost to the item if the buyers uses PP.

That's the thing though, its against the rules to do this.  You can do it on the down-low but you can't set it up like that or advertise that you do this.  Its kind of aggravating but I see their point.  Doing this would highly discourage the use of PayPal.  You would be surprised at the amount of people I run across who has no idea that fees even exist for not just PayPal but also typical credit card usage.  Blows their mind that the seller has to shell out money when they whip their plastic out, they really don't get it.  

The buyer is always "right" on eBay.

Dunno if it's policy, but others sellers have told me if you get into a dispute, you may as just give up and pay it. You won't win...

So you have buyers who take advantage of the policy. And 6 months to decide whether you want the item or not is BS. Try that at any regular department store or such. "I've had this item six months, but now I want to return it for a full refund. They will tell you to get lost.

I avoid selling (or simple can't afford to) on eBay because:

Higher fees.

The buyer is always right.

And the one the puts me out from using eBay...I'm a low volume seller...not a power seller. I sell stuff in the winter months to make a few extra bucks to pay needed bills.

But being a low volume seller, and after a item sells, eBay and PayPal will hold onto your payment for 14 days. Or until the buyer claims he received the item, or confirmation of shipment from package tracking to eBay.

Most generally, it takes less than 14 days, but it still can take up to 6-7 days to get the payment from a sale, with another couple days to transfer cash from PayPal to one's bank account.

So in order to get paid, the seller has to come up with the shipping costs, and gets reimbursed when the payment goes through. With small items, with minimal shipping cost isn't a big deal.

But a large item that has a substantial amount of shipping cost, leaves me screwed.

Exiled to Craigslist,

Mike

being a low volume seller, and after a item sells, eBay and PayPal will hold onto your payment for 14 days. Or until the buyer claims he received the item, or confirmation of shipment from package tracking to eBay.

Most generally, it takes less than 14 days, but it still can take up to 6-7 days to get the payment from a sale, with another couple days to transfer cash from PayPal to one's bank account.

So in order to get paid, the seller has to come up with the shipping costs, and gets reimbursed when the payment goes through. With small items, with minimal shipping cost isn't a big deal.

But a large item that has a substantial amount of shipping cost, leaves me screwed.

I rarely take paypal payments and have never heard of this.  Money is in my account instantly, and when I withdraw it is sitting in my bank within a few days.  Maybe I've been signed up long enough, or maybe it has something to do with unconfirmed accounts.  

The buyer is always "right" on eBay.

Dunno if it's policy, but others sellers have told me if you get into a dispute, you may as just give up and pay it. You won't win...

So you have buyers who take advantage of the policy. And 6 months to decide whether you want the item or not is BS. Try that at any regular department store or such. "I've had this item six months, but now I want to return it for a full refund. They will tell you to get lost.

I avoid selling (or simple can't afford to) on eBay because:

Higher fees.

The buyer is always right.

And the one the puts me out from using eBay...I'm a low volume seller...not a power seller. I sell stuff in the winter months to make a few extra bucks to pay needed bills.

But being a low volume seller, and after a item sells, eBay and PayPal will hold onto your payment for 14 days. Or until the buyer claims he received the item, or confirmation of shipment from package tracking to eBay.

Exiled to Craigslist,

Mike

I have never heard of these either.

I sell smallish things (less than 100 dollars) on eBay periodically, and when someone sends a payment its there right away. I can usually get it into my checking account within 2 days after that.

I agree that if someone opens a case against you that you are basically screwed. I've even heard horror stories of buyers sending back empty boxes to "prove" that something was shipped back.

National Craigslist searchs are slowly becoming more and more popular. I've always offered shipping on my Craigslist postings because of this.

pioneta

Ah, yes, the DREADED Pioneta, who buys Heresy's at garage sales then tries to sell grilles for $80/pair. that guy is bad news, I don't care what his rating is.

One of the worst sellers on EBay...He is somewhere in Wisconsin.  Avoid this guy at all costs. 

Edited by cheric

It used to work that way for me. I'd sell a item, get a instant payment from PayPal, and then transfer the payment to my bank account within 2-3 days.

I only sell stuff maybe once twice a year, so that may have something to do with being a unconfirmed account, or not selling enough items to be quite "trusted" yet.

I dunno...

I've been with eBay since 1999 and have less than 10 transactions as a seller. The few that I have are for items that can't be "parts swapped". There are too many buyers taking advantage of honest sellers. When I need to sell something that's risky to ship or can be canibalized I go to the dreaded craigslist.

My 2 cents... eBay/PayPal is a cutthroat organization that has way too much control over peoples money. Their rules change like the wind and it's always in their favor. 

Scott