1976 La Scala Speakers (Birch)

Terri

It will be intertesting to see how much patience is shown to Jim Harbaugh. More than was shown to Brady Hoke, not to mention Rich Rodriguez, if the Wolverine nation has any hope of halting the downward spiral.

Edited by DizRotus

Hopefully Terri and her mom get things figured out. I am sure there are plenty of people willing to take good care of those La Scalas. I am assuming they probably have a lot they are dealing with so I say be patient. If they decide to keep them or give them to someone they think are deserving then good for them. If they decide they want to sell them, good for whomever gets them.

• Like 1

Hopefully Terri and her mom get things figured out. I am sure there are plenty of people willing to take good care of those La Scalas. I am assuming they probably have a lot they are dealing with so I say be patient. If they decide to keep them or give them to someone they think are deserving then good for them. If they decide they want to sell them, good for whomever gets them.

did you see the speakers and their actual condition , can you relay me their telephone number - thank you - if they are so pristine -can you confirm this to me- I am 600 miles away - 1200 round trip - 20 hours ride -

Terri, thank you for joining us and terribly sorry for the loss of your father. 

Many of us have travelled great distances and met some truly remarkable people in our search for our own personal audio nirvanas, as you father must have had in his music room. We also have music rooms. To find a set that has been loved as yours have, untouched, never moved or abused, is somewhat unique, as are the full height grilles (something I've never seen on a LS, and I've seen quite a few). 

I will PM you my thoughts regarding value. Please, though, if anyone in the family remotely has any use for them in the future, hang on to them. They don't age hardly at all. True we upgrade around here from time to time, but I enjoy my Klipschorns and LaScalas (that were each like yours, from a one-owner home), nearly bone stock. 

I will share this with you. If one of us is allowed to purchase them, tell them something of your father's musical tastes. I bought my Klipschorns from a symphony cellist and still get a thrill when I play some LP's of his favorite music through them. We revel in a bit of history around these parts. 

Michael 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

Location will have a good deal to do with price; but, the FULL Grille & the fact that they remain unfinished is desirable.

So, I'd say in the neighborhood of $1100.

Hi Sancho, Thanks for the feedback.  We are just outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Wondering why being unfinished makes them desirable?  Terri

Actually most of this model was sold unfinished as Birch, Raw. Many of those have been finished in a variety of finishes (and a wide variety of quality of craftsmanship also). Some of the older ones that have not been cared for so well have a greyish appearance to the birch, which can make it a difficult finishing job. Ones like yours that appear to have been immaculately cared for, should bring top dollar. Please though, a few more clear photos of the tops of both units and of the sides as well if you have time. And you could have played the music QUITE LOUD, because these are some of the most efficient loudspeakers on the planet. What music did your dad listen to? 

Hi, it's me again with my dad's 1976 La Scala speakers and NO they haven't been sold.  I was sick the last few days and finally made it back to my mom's to get additional pics as requested by some on the forum.  Unfortunately, when I tried uploading tonight, they were too large to attach.  I will go back Thursday and use a different camera for those who are still interested in viewing.

I'm sure my dad is looking down enjoying the discussions on the forum about his Klipsch speakers.  I'm sure he's saying to my mom  . . . 'See Charlene, I told you these were the best speakers.  I never did understand why you wanted small ones?'   He'd listen to classical and opera and his favorite artist was Sarah Brightman. 

I'll be in touch Thursday and  thank everyone who has posted kind thoughts about my father.  Not only did he have great taste in speakers . . . he was a great man.  Which is why it's my job as his daughter to find a loving home for these speakers.  He would not want them stored away and not heard. 

Terri   

• Like 2

Thanks for checking back with us Terri. Hope you feel better, and I also hope you can find the loving home they deserve. I believe all of the people involved on this site are true audio enthusiasts and I think we all hope the speakers are enjoyed in their next home. Sorry to hear nobody in the family has room for them.

Sorry for your loss.

I've had a pair since 1980.

Full grills are unusual, may have been a special order.

The units appear mint.

1. Keep them and use them yourself for the rest of your life. They sound great in any size room.

2. If you have to sell for some reason, don't take the first offer.

3. Unique, mint, full grills, good geographic location.

4. You may be able to get $2000, not less than $1600, they are ready to veneer or stain, that has value.

5. If you do keep them, get smoked glass tops

6. If you get them stained, there are some threads on this worth reading. If it's your first time find a friend who is an expert and get them to help you. Lunch is on you.

Keep them unless you are forced to sell.

Sorry for your loss. A pair of these with full grills and glass tops sold on the forum for about $1000-1100 last year.

I doubt that they were in the great condition that these show to be , the 1980 scalas woud have had the AL network and the K55M - and K77M  while the AA is k55v and K77 Alnico -this is the one I prefer the most -

I'm interested if the price is right. This is not for resale. I'm tempted to experince them to see how they sound with the rest of the Klipsches. It'll be a pick-up being a fellow Michiganian, but most probably one-by-one to carefully get them to the new home !! Terri, Please PM if they're still available. Thanks!

Terry, just wanted say that I'm so sorry to hear for your loss. I've just loss my dad around month ago. He was dad and mom for a while, and now with dad passing away I feel being orphan. World wasn't this lonely, but... That said, I don't have many words to comfort you, as saying "my condolonces" is NOT going to fill that void. My prayers with your family in this difficult time.