1976 La Scala Speakers (Birch)

Terri

We have a pair of La Scala speakers that have been my father's since 1976.  He passed away last year and we do not have any idea of their re-sale value.  The speakers look as if they just came off the factory floor.  Dad always loved these speakers, but unfortunately, no one in the family has the room.  They need to go to a special loving home.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks - Terri

post-60829-0-72720000-1423834354_thumb.j

post-60829-0-93080000-1423834373_thumb.j

post-60829-0-71760000-1423834399_thumb.j

post-60829-0-99480000-1423834411_thumb.j

• Like 3

Location will have a good deal to do with price; but, the FULL Grille & the fact that they remain unfinished is desirable.

So, I'd say in the neighborhood of $1100.

Hi Sancho, Thanks for the feedback.  We are just outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Wondering why being unfinished makes them desirable?  Terri

• Like 1

Location will have a good deal to do with price; but, the FULL Grille & the fact that they remain unfinished is desirable.

So, I'd say in the neighborhood of $1100.

Hi Sancho, Thanks for the feedback.  We are just outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Wondering why being unfinished makes them desirable?  Terri

Because you can stain it whatever you want to match your other speakers or your furniture or whatever.

The condition is what impresses me most.

• Like 2

You should definitely consider passing them on as an heirloom or keep them in your family. Those are very valuable! 

I would second this notion. These aren't speakers that are going to being outdated with technology. Their sound is simply timeless and this style of speaker is actually coming back into fashion if you care about that sort of thing. Only a few companies out there like Klipsch still make them like this and you happen to have something that even we don't make anymore.

You (or your family) may buy speakers from another company down the road that cost $1000 (which may be all you can get for these) and I GUARANTEE these speakers will outperform them 10x over.

Of course, I should never tell you what to do with your assets because we have all needed money from time to time. I just wanted to offer up some food for thought.

• Like 1

Those might be worth more than 1100, I doubt to many pairs of these speakers, are in the condition that these speakers appear to be. They look brand new and are 39 years old. I would take no less than 2000... these are rare... Sorry about your loss, keep them in your family if you can..

need better pictures than the ones posted

i'm guessing the grills don't come off and are stapled directly to the front of the cabinet with screen molding added. the speakers look awfully white if the pictures are recent. they should have turned a beautiful yellow patina by now unless someone sanded them down recently

imo, being unfinished is the best look for LaScalas in birch raw.

once you stain them, the price goes down for me

IF they didn't have grills the price would go up for me

Edited by Budman

The Ann Arbor/Detroit/Eastern Michigan market is not bad.  Shouldn't have too much trouble moving them at a realistic price if that's what you decide to do.  I would kindly suggest that you post additional clear photos here that are of all sides and tops.  Both serial numbers would be good to have.  After seeing the new photos, then I think a more informed estimate could be offered.

Very nice!

It's funny how we will encourage people to NOT sell their equipment here.  I know that these are big and might be difficult to find a place in your or another family member's home.  They can also be heavy to move around.  Give some serious thought about keeping and USING these if there is any way you can!  Money can not replace these.

If my father left something like this for me I would be ecstatic to be able to remember him that way every time I listen to music in the house!

So sorry for your loss!

• Like 5

You should definitely consider passing them on as an heirloom or keep them in your family. Those are very valuable! 

I would second this notion. These aren't speakers that are going to being outdated with technology. Their sound is simply timeless and this style of speaker is actually coming back into fashion if you care about that sort of thing. Only a few companies out there like Klipsch still make them like this and you happen to have something that even we don't make anymore.

You (or your family) may buy speakers from another company down the road that cost $1000 (which may be all you can get for these) and I GUARANTEE these speakers will outperform them 10x over.

Of course, I should never tell you what to do with your assets because we have all needed money from time to time. I just wanted to offer up some food for thought.

Thank! But it really is not about the money, although it is nice. We are moving my mother to a smaller home and none of us has the room to utilize them. They were in a 1000 sq ft music room and were perfect and enjoyed them for many years and want someone else to do the same.

• Like 1

Thank! But it really is not about the money, although it is nice. We are moving my mother to a smaller home and none of us has the room to utilize them. They were in a 1000 sq ft music room and were perfect and enjoyed them for many years and want someone else to do the same.

To someone that appreciates the condition and style of finish they are worth $1200 and up IMO.  I really wish you were closer to me and I'm sure many here wish the same.  Those are pretty unique among the masses of LaScala's out there and the condition for their age is a big, big bargaining chip on your side.  If you cant keep these, please don't let some shark beat you up on the price.

• Like 2

We have a pair of La Scala speakers that have been my father's since 1976.  He passed away last year and we do not have any idea of their re-sale value.  The speakers look as if they just came off the factory floor.  Dad always loved these speakers, but unfortunately, no one in the family has the room.  They need to go to a special loving home.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks - Terri

Looking at the pictures , these are mint - scala speakers that we all look for -

these speakers were made out of real plywood with a birch veneer - versus the new ones made with MDF - which is like a particle board but much denser - the components in the speaker are great K55V - K77 round tweeter - AA crossovers - K33 e woofer - and last the mint cabinets - and the option of the full grilles that cost a fortune with badges - the full grilles are worth 200$ each alone -badges are selling for about a 100$ -all of these features are simply the best -

so yes - I am in NY but would I had been in your area - I would have paid 2000$ for these mint speakers and unfinished is the ultimum you would want to buy -  no questions asked - you have a mint pair - 2000$ is a fair price - a new pair cost upwards of 6000$ -

by the way - what kind of amplifier was he using with these speakers and is that for sale as well -

1,200 and the 3 or 5 tanks of gas it might take to get there would be a great deal for any buyer!

I don't think I could part with them for that though!  

BTW - These work fine in smaller rooms too.  Sounds like they were in a good room but putting them in a small room is feasible.

Edited by muel

1,200 and the 3 or 5 tanks of gas it might take to get there would be a great deal for any buyer!

I don't think I could part with them for that though!  

BTW - These work fine in smaller rooms too.  Sounds like they were in a good room but putting them in a small room is feasible.

whomever will buy these will ber very lucky - sure is far for me -sad very sad

need better pictures than the ones posted

i'm guessing the grills don't come off and are stapled directly to the front of the cabinet with screen molding added. the speakers look awfully white if the pictures are recent. they should have turned a beautiful yellow patina by now unless someone sanded them down recently

imo, being unfinished is the best look for LaScalas in birch raw. once you stain them, the price goes down for me

They have never been touched. In fact they have never been out of the room since 1976 or 77. Pics do look light, but that was probably the camera.

Looking at the pictures , these are mint - scala speakers that we all look for -

these speakers were made out of real plywood with a birch veneer - versus the new ones made with MDF - which is like a particle board but much denser - the components in the speaker are great K55V - K77 round tweeter - AA crossovers - K33 e woofer - and last the mint cabinets - and the option of the full grilles that cost a fortune with badges - the full grilles are worth 200$ each alone -badges are selling for about a 100$ -all of these features are simply the best -

so yes - I am in NY but would I had been in your area - I would have paid 2000$ for these mint speakers and unfinished is the ultimum you would want to buy -  no questions asked - you have a mint pair - 2000$ is a fair price - a new pair cost upwards of 6000$ -

by the way - what kind of amplifier was he using with these speakers and is that for sale as well -

He had a Kenwood, I believe. He never let us play the music loud because he was afraid we would blow the speakers. They still sit where they did almost 40 years ago.

• Like 1