Lounge Post

Tarheel

... do I really need to run every change we do by a committee first?

He didn't say you needed permission but if memory serves, changes to the forum were announced that they were happening. Not that I give a rat's patooie, actually I have my favorites set to go the particular sub-forum I choose to visit first.
  • Like 2

In the 12 listed below, I think 3 are from Garage Sale/alerts. Normally there would also be 3-5 Lounge posts listed there. I'm considering excluding garage sale posts from that list as well. We'll see.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-24 at 7.54.46 AM.png

I understand your concern and respect your opinion. I also agree it's sad that the timing was a little poor on my part (re: Cornman's tragic loss). However, as mentioned before, the Lounge is still right where it was, this is an experiment that may or may not stick, and it's just a small change. Honestly, every time I make a change to the forum in some way, I get backlash from some folks. You can't please everyone. That's to be expected.

as for this

and no heads up about your experiment?

... do I really need to run every change we do by a committee first? 

Oh and one more thing - there is still the "Recent Topics" sidebar on the homepage that lists the latest topics created from all subforums. I may extend the number it shows.

No Chad you don't have to run anything by a committee.....it's just good form.  A lot of folks here view this as a second home and as a family unit you discuss changes.  Are you familiar with the term homeostasis?

Your snap shot of post was just that.....a snap shot.  I counted 5 garage sale post in "my" snap shot.

Do as you wish.....apparently it's your forum :huh:

• Administrators
Your snap shot of post was just that.....a snap shot.  I counted 5 garage sale post in "my" snap shot.

Well, I've just exempted garage sale/alerts posts from the recent posts list, so you shouldn't notice that any longer.

And it's not *my* forum, it's Klipsch's forum. I've just been entrusted to run it.

Well, I've just exempted garage sale/alerts posts from the recent posts list, so you shouldn't notice that any longer.

And it's not *my* forum, it's Klipsch's forum. I've just been entrusted to run it.

Thank You Chad, I "Feel" exempted...... :emotion-21:

I have to say that I find this rather interesting and somewhat distressing that "Klipsch" allowed a couple of recent discussions which degraded into veiled personal attacks, somewhat racist and very politically charged verbiage to drag on and on, and didn't seem to think that it was detracting from the reputation and public appearance of the forum, yet now is making this not so slick move to lessen the visibility of the "offending" sub forums....So, apparently "Klipsch" feels that this is an improvement, and was not your decision to make this change?  Bad form is right.... considering the amount of activity and readership (and marketing value BTW), that this forum receives and provides, it would be at the least courteous to make an announcement that there will be a slight change in format, that "non-audio" sub-forum topics will no longer appear automatically in the Recent Posts section....blah, blah, blah.

And moving Garage Sale/Alerts from recent posts?  REALLY bad move.

• Like 2

See posts 1 and 7

I read posts 1 and 7, twice.  In fact, I read all the posts, carefully.  In your Post #3 you ask for Chad's thinking on why the change.  Chad stated the reason for the change clearly and succinctly in Post #2, I understood it and it makes common sense to me.

That sub-forum hasn't changed, it just doesn't make the front page.  Forumites, including me, who want some other-than-speaker talk can post there, exactly as before. 

Can you explain why this is upsetting to some?    No personal connections are being lost, nobody is taking down the sub-section or saying this is not important to posters here, its really just a minor change.  I feel like I'm not understanding why some people are upset.

Since I don't have much opportunity to log on during the day and post, I probably use the “view new content” link up in the right corner more often to catch up or look at the "Recent Topics" section that is off to the side first to see if there are new topics of that day. 

Other times I go straight to the sub-forums that I have set to push the first post of a new topic to my email.  I see only one person subscribed to the general lounge forum for new topics while there are 22 people subscribed to the garage sale section.

I did as you and read the indicated posts, read a few additional posts and read several threads in the lounge section and found a lot of content that is interesting, some not so interesting, and a whole lot of back and forth by a few that seemed to only be trying to prove they were right or that seemed to try to discredit rather than adding thoughtfully to the topics, in addition to a few of the forum attorneys on questioning what should and shouldn’t be on the forum trying to figure out that line in the sand (are they trying to figure it out only to subsequently push it?). 

I suspect that since the banner being questioned in this thread is titled "Recent Audio Posts," some of that banter (many bordering on bickering, amongst other things) may not be helping from a “Klipsch branding” perspective for a new person interested in Klipsch and being directed to the audio forums or even to the casual Klipsch-head that can only frequent the threads periodically.   

I believe that I probably understand aspects of Chad’s point as actually, it was only through using the “view new content” link is the only way I happened upon a few nice reviews that Joe had done for his headphones and amps as the topic would have been pushed from the "recent audio posts" section rather quickly.

Maybe traffic in the lounge is sufficient to have its own side bar like “Recent Topic” since the formatting on my screen shows room in that column.....

Disclaimer: As used in this post, "attorneys," “banter,” “bickering,” "Klipsch-head," and other terms were not used or meant to be taken in any disparaging way by any forum member or by anyone reading these threads and lurking. As always, please note that the information presented by this author is meant for fun, sometimes thought-provoking, and is not intended as insult or otherwise!!!

Edited by Fjd

• Administrators

I have to say that I find this rather interesting and somewhat distressing that "Klipsch" allowed a couple of recent discussions which degraded into veiled personal attacks, somewhat racist and very politically charged verbiage to drag on and on, and didn't seem to think that it was detracting from the reputation and public appearance of the forum, yet now is making this not so slick move to lessen the visibility of the "offending" sub forums....So, apparently "Klipsch" feels that this is an improvement, and was not your decision to make this change?  Bad form is right.... considering the amount of activity and readership (and marketing value BTW), that this forum receives and provides, it would be at the least courteous to make an announcement that there will be a slight change in format, that "non-audio" sub-forum topics will no longer appear automatically in the Recent Posts section....blah, blah, blah.

And moving Garage Sale/Alerts from recent posts?  REALLY bad move.

You are looking WAY too deep into all this.

We didn't allow anything like what you said. Yes, it happened and we took corrective measures (i.e., the more spelled-out "we'll lock 'em" rule). As I mentioned before I don't have time to watch every thread like a hawk, and even though we have mods, I don't expect them to spend all their time watching all the threads either. We've long been "self-moderated" and we keep some sense of that to this day.

And Klipsch doesn't tell me how to run the forums, like I said I've been entrusted with the "authority" to do so myself. So, it's not MY forum, but I am the admin. I'm not always right and I don't pretend to be. But I've run forums for the last 20 years, so I do know a lot about how to do it. Please give me some credit.

It's just an experiment, folks. Let's see how it plays out.

• Administrators

Chad, I am glad I caught this thread. Most of the time I don't look at the recent posts to see what's new. I use the [View New Content] hyperlink or the [My Content] pulldown hyperlink.

Have either of these been effected by this change?

No, and that's an excellent point and tip for those longing for an alternative to how the Recent Posts block is currently working. Thanks!

In fact, I'd say the "View New Content" link has always been a FAR better way to see the most recent content, because you have the ability to filter that list however you want to, see previews, etc.

See, it's NOT the end of the world!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Again, have you tried the "View New Content" link? Heck, maybe change your bookmark to the forums to be that page. I can't (easily) change what that link does for you, so you are safe from my abuse of power tyranny (or whatever conspiracy you are thinking of) there.

• Administrators

you are safe from my abuse of power (or whatever conspiracy you are thinking of)

Really appreciate that incredibly rude comment and accusation.  Thank you.

C'mon man... not trying to be rude. And if anyone was accusatory, it was you with the assumption that this experiment isn't really an experiment and will automatically stay the way it is.

Just trying to lighten the mood. Look - others have given great tips as to how you can achieve the results you are used to. The forums and how the content is laid out is always subject to change. 

Ask yourself honestly - is this change REALLY that big of a deal? Really?