WTB Subwoofer - serious about buying

the-encoder

I've recently bought a Denon 3808CI and Klipsch RF-5. I have a Cerwin Vega RE-6C and a bunch of other random speakers for 7.1 system... But I expect to just end up Bi-Amping the RF-5's. My subwoofer situation is a mess... I had 1 10" speaker and the plate amp I believe is 200-250 but can't find any information, I put 2 10" subs in an old ported box but tbh it just isn't enough. I know 2 10" = more than most air displaced by a lot of HT subs but I'm looking for a decent solution... I've thought about HSU VT3-MK5 I think it is.... I really like the SVS PC12 but I'mgetting ragged trying to read about good subs as so many don't offer a place to listen to them but do offer a trial... I don't want to be on the line for shipping back if I decide its not enough. Main aspect is good home theater sub but tbh I will expect it to have high output with music with good sounding bass. If no one has anything for sell suggestions would be awesome. I honesly want to spend 500 bucks but after looking through stuff I dread that i will probably have to spend 800 bucks to get what I'm after.

With high expectations and a $500 budget, you are a good candidate for a DIY sub.  There are good sub kits that come with flat packs and are easy to assemble in a weekend.  I'm thinking you can get into an 18" sub with a 500 watt amp for that price.

Go check in with the fine folks at Avs.com DIY Speakers and Subs forum for more specific recommendations.  Many people who post here post there as well. 

Start a thread stating your budget, room environment and listening preference (music or HT) and wait for them to help you find the best way to spend your money.  B)

The-encoder,

Welcome to the forum.

Many decent choices out there with a $500.00 to $800.00 budget, new or used.

Where is your general location?  You may live near one or many of our forum members and they may just offer you a demo or two.

Bill

... I put 2 10" subs in an old ported box but tbh it just isn't enough. I know 2 10" = more than most air displaced by a lot of HT subs but I'm looking for a decent solution...

There is a lot more to building a sub than throwing drivers in an enclosure and calling it a day. 

Saying it isn't enough is probably not accurate. The correct term is probably "it just isn't right".

If you will share the information on the drivers you are using, I could help with a proper enclosure design.

• Like 1

You could do a Dayton kit for around your price range. I use the Dayton drivers and a Dayton amp and am not disappointed. My enclosure is DIY so I'm not sure how the Dayton enclosures are but would guess they don't suck. I'm sure someone here has owned a Dayton subwoofer kit and may give some insight.

Go to the SVS website they offer a free 45 day in your home trial, if for what ever reason you don't like them simply return them. You don't even have to tell them why, they pay the shipping both ways. It's a no brainer!!!! Ask me how I know!!!

How do you know?

:D

Because I didn't send mine back.

Edited by artto
  • Like 1

Go to the SVS website they offer a free 45 day in your home trial, if for what ever reason you don't like them simply return them. You don't even have to tell them why, they pay the shipping both ways. It's a no brainer!!!! Ask me how I know!!!

How do you know?

:D

Because I didn't send mine back.

Exactly!!! and after about 6 months I took advantage of their upgrade program!!! Only had to pay the difference in price of the subs and partial shipping!!! :)

• Like 1