My AVR does not have HDMI- Is Blu Ray worth it?

twk123

Hey guys I have yet to make the jump from DVD to blu ray as I usually use my system for music. I have some extra cash and was thinking of grabbing a blu ray player. However, I have a Denon 3801 which has optical connections but no HDMI. I know the picture quality is much better with blu ray but if I have an older receiver will it be worth it from an audio perspective as I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats? I currently have my system in a 5.1 configuration.

I think it would be worth it.

I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats?

You could use the multichannel inputs(EXT. IN) provided you purchase a BD player that has multichannel outputs.  The player will do the decoding of the lossless formats and send it to the 5.1 inputs of your Denon.

Most cheaper BD's out there do not have multichannel outputs so you might have to invest a couple of hundred or more for one with the outputs.

Are you open to buying used?

Bill

• Like 2

Read this

Buy a BRP that has a good DAC and DVD upscaling and let it decode; send to AVR via analog inputs as suggested above. Budget?

Edite: Can we assume that your TV has HDMI?

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

My Magnavox 5.1 has no HDMI either.  But the television does.  I run HDMI direct to the teevee, optical from the teevee to the AV and COAX from the BRD to the AV.  The COAX works fine for the audio signal for disc play.  The optical from the teevee transmits 5.1 signal from cable, etc..........

I think it would be worth it.

I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats?

You could use the multichannel inputs(EXT. IN) provided you purchase a BD player that has multichannel outputs.  The player will do the decoding of the lossless formats and send it to the 5.1 inputs of your Denon.

Most cheaper BD's out there do not have multichannel outputs so you might have to invest a couple of hundred or more for one with the outputs.

Are you open to buying used?

Bill

Thanks Bill. Budget is about 100. I thrive on used actually...

Read this

Buy a BRP that has a good DAC and DVD upscaling and let it decode; send to AVR via analog inputs as suggested above. Budget?

Edite: Can we assume that your TV has HDMI?

Budget is $100. Yes TV has HDMI and is 1080P. Current plan of attack is to scan local listings and cross reference against this list from the AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1050507-bluray-player-audio-support-comparison-chart.html#post_14323698

So does this mean it will run lossless out of the 5.1 analog outs:

On the audio side, outputs include HDMI, optical and coaxial digital, and two- and 5.1-channel analog audio outputs. You can't bridge the two- and 5.1-channel analog outs to create a 7.1-channel system. The BDP-95FD allows you to pass the native bitstream version of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD soundtracks over HDMI; it also has an internal Dolby TrueHD decoder (but not DTS-HD).

http://hometheaterreview.com/pioneer-elite-bdp-95fd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

Interesting, Tthis other site claims it does not do internal processing into the analog outs:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/pioneer-bdp-95fd-review/

Conclusion
Although we love this player, considering the price, we have a hard time imagining anyone other than a devout Elite fan choosing it over the competition. There are many things to really admire about this player, like its rock solid performance and resolution control; but the player's inability to output TrueHD via the discrete analog outputs is a major knock -- for those with older receivers -- especially considering that the Samsung BD-P1400 that costs over half as much claims to do just that. The other big limitation is the lack of BonusView, but since not everyone finds PIP useful, it'll be a non-issue to some, but for other the Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best bet. That being said, if you demand the ultimate in performance (above all else), have a newer AV/R with HDMI, and don't care about Picture-In-Picture; then this is the Blu-ray Disc player for you

So does this mean it will run lossless out of the 5.1 analog outs:

According to the chart on page 44 of the owner's manual, it will decode the lossless codecs and send it 5.1ch PCM from the 5.1 analog outputs.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-95FD

Bill 

Totally worth it for several reasons

such as.........

Greatly increased audio and video fidelity. Greater capacity for supplemental features. Network capabilities for player maintenance, net connected apps, expanded special features such as interactive town hall type group viewings (WB did this a couple of times) and player based communications for setting up small group viewings. The net capabilities of these devices have not been completely explored as of yet but the ability to remain web connected for different features has great potential that is being wasted. First and foremost of all of this is the potential for video and audio presentation. While the video can be a compressed and compromised mess at times the audio should be a bit for bit 100% accurate reproduction of the original theatrical master track. Even if it's in DTHD or DTS-HDMA it should be the same mix, so in that case you are essentially reproducing the theatrical presentation at home.

Yes........ Much better than Beta..... Rewind is faster too...... So you won't get charged more on rental. 

All kidding aside...... I ran BLURAY with optical /coaxial and even used multichannel off my Oppo 83 for years....... You will never go back