Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Cars and speakers will both get mods as long as men are around.  Mods on AV's will be more along the lines of computer hacks.

Of course you all know if you change the radio to a new one (OEM) the car won't start until you take it to the dealer to reprogram the computer. The radio code is part of the computer boot up. The same with a new Corvette if you let the battery go dead, it must be towed to the dealer to be reprogrammed. How do I know? My friend down the street with the Ohio Corvette , not the Florida Corvette.

JJK

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Mallette said:

Reasonable assumption...but I rather believe that any potentially catastrophic failures that the owner might catch will be caught first by the machine.  And eventually the "owner" will be the government or private industry as keeping a car sitting around doing nothing is rather silly.

Dave

Where has that ever happened in the real world, catastrophic failures caught and prevented by machine.  You can catch most of it but never all of it.  

The rates will drop slow, over time, as more and more AV's get on the road and there becomes an actuarial basis to reduce rates.  

Once they have a car for sale, how long will the phase in period be?  10, 15 20 years?  What was it for HDTV?  10 years right?

If it's 20 years your rates will slowly go down, unless govt. eliminates the mandate to have car insurance or provides an incentitive to insurance consumers or sellers

• Moderators
On 11/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, Mallette said:

Seriously?  Certainly wouldn't trust one that couldn't handle that simple observation that even I can do.  My cheap Elantra tells me when a tire is low.  I might also add that the majority of human drivers either aren't aware or don't care about those things.

Yes, insurance will still be paid...but by the manufacturer and you'll pay only once through the sticker price...and that increase will be WAY below what you pay now.  Again, not my prediction but from a variety of sources.

Dave

Not a low tyre, a worn tyre AND it pulls overs and tell you it will no longer operate until replaced.

1 minute ago, dwilawyer said:

Where has that ever happened in the real world, catastrophic failures caught and prevented by machine.  You can catch most of it but never all of it.  

Your seriously believe that?  Pretty sure I am older than you but certainly appreciate and understand the routine prevention of catastrophe of the many essential machines of our time by computer.  No point in even listing them as they are legion from microwave ovens to nuclear plants.

Dave

9 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Said the same.  However, the difficulty is likely to be on the order of hacking into the nuclear launch codes and hardly worth it.  

Dave

Disagree.  Cars will be mass produced with parts and software provided by the lowest bidder.  Bean counters will be cutting corners.  Heck, a space shuttle blew up at launch.  What failed?  A cheap o ring.  

OK, if your are correct it doesn't matter.  The OEM will bear the consequences if they don't cover the basics.  We will be fine.

Space shuttle incident was inevitable given the nature of government funded efforts.  Far less likely in privately funded efforts as they have to care if not about us then about themselves.  

Dave

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Space shuttle incident was inevitable given the nature of government funded efforts.  Far less likely in privately funded efforts as they have to care if not about us then about themselves.

And the Mercan people are trained to buy on price alone, and that's the flip side of the reason why things are built cheaper, similar to the other funding efforts. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Disagree.  Cars will be mass produced with parts and software provided by the lowest bidder.  Bean counters will be cutting corners.  Heck, a space shuttle blew up at launch.  What failed?  A cheap o ring.  

And the person who knew more about that o-ring then anyone at MT refused to give an OK for go.  Six months prior he said there would be a catastrophic event if they launched in cold weather.

It was MT management that overrode the two engineers who said they should not launch.  A private company made that call.  NASA's problem was it became complacent and would have double checked that call in prior years.

Richard Feynman's work on the Commision and his Appendix in the report were quite illuminating as to how an organazation can develop a culture that allows the exact opposite result of a specifically intended goal.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

And the Mercan people are trained to buy on price alone, and that's the flip side of the reason why things are built cheaper, similar to the other funding efforts. 

What?  

You just describes the fundamental principles of a free market economy.

Read Adam Smith, who is Scottish, and get back to me (he says we are born with it and we don't need to learn anything).

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

he says we are born with it and we don't need to learn anything

Sounds similar to "everything that can be invented has been invented."

5 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You just describes the fundamental principles of a free market economy.

Most of the American people can't do the math to know if they're getting a deal or not, they buy on impulse. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mallette said:

Unless I misunderstand, sounds like a machine doing its job to me.

Dave

It doesn't exist, that the point.  So now if you want to be able to forgo insurance for the vehicle owner you have to eliminate the remaining source of human error (negligence) which is maintenance. The only two things I can think of that could cause an accident if not maintained properly are brakes and tyres.  

There are already low brake pad sensors, so the cost of that is minimal, but to have a low tyre tread sensor is going to add a significant cost to the car.  

I think it will all be moot as the transisition time will be on the order of 20 years and there will be plenty of time to determine what remains as potential areas of.owner negligence and eliminate them.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Sounds similar to "everything that can be invented has been invented."

Most of the American people can't do the math to know if they're getting a deal or not, they buy on impulse. 

Your going in circles.

All things being equal, a pound of sugar for example, the average consumer, whether in the US, Canada, UK, China, Russia, will buy the cheapest sugar on the shelf.  However, there are consumers who are swayed by branding or advertising who will pay slightly more for C&H or Domino.

Are you saying that Americans are more susceptible to the influence of advertising?

What's your favorite beer?  Liquor of choice?

Other than food, everything is an impulse buy isn't it?