A Good Bicycle?

Tarheel

Bicycles are dangerous enough on the street. Being on a recumbent you sit lower and the people in car's and SUV's loose sight of you over the hood and 1/4 panel. In a line of cars the only one to get a good look at you is the first car, the next cars you kind of pop up out of nowhere. Some recumbent riders use a 1/4 inch pole with a flag on it. This does not help. The flag points straight back because of the wind. It needs to be 3x bigger and sit at an angle so it faces flat to oncoming cars.

• Like 1

You'll get the butt callouses built up soon enough.  Get bike shorts w/ pads (don't cheap out), and if that's not enough you could swap the saddle out.  WTB and Serfas make some comfy saddles, at least according to my butt, just make sure to get one of the narrow ones (better for dudes, better for long rides).

And hybrids dorky?  No way.  Maybe to the fat loser babies who never get off the couch.  That bike you got looks like a blast to ride, nice choice, and nice deal.

• Like 1

WTB and Serfas make some comfy saddles, at least according to my butt, just make sure to get one of the narrow ones (better for dudes, better for long rides).

That depends on the width of your sit bones. Apparently I have wide birthing hips or something so they're a little far apart. Personally I like the WTB downhill saddles because of this. Wide sit bones and narrow seats basically means your junk gets its circulation cut off. I like this guy:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/saddle/wtb/power-v-dh-race/prd_413223_140crx.aspx

The rails are 1mm thicker than usual too so it is really rigid, it doesn't flex. When I ride it is freeriding in nasty rocky stuff so I notice it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Ridden the new bike 3 times.  Less sore this morning but far from normal.  Lot of varying information on "butt soreness".  Some say ride till you get use to it....others say give it a rest. 

Getting ready to take another short ride.  We will see.

• Like 1

MLO, to thy own ischial spacing be true.  Ergonomic saddle fit can make or break the enjoyment.

Tarheel, it is a bit of an acquired pain.  You'll get conditioned to it, but at the same time don't avoid trying others if it keeps you riding and enjoying the bike.

The classic Flight shape fits me best, but on my roadie I have a Serfas dd pro, which is similar but much more comfy (a non-cutaway but still a ball saver by design).  

• Like 1

Thanks Ski Bum.....rode again this afternoon and less sore.  I'll get use to it.

2point1......thanks for those links.  Some of those saddles are at great prices!   What's the scoop with your forum name? 

Tomorrow a warm up and I'll ride a bit further. 

post-17365-0-70740000-1426713515_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ridden the new bike 3 times. Less sore this morning but far from normal. Lot of varying information on "butt soreness". Some say ride till you get use to it....others say give it a rest.

Do yourself a favor and get a Serfas seat with thick foam and springs under the seat, like the old messenger seats. Mine has a "nut channel" for greater comfort. My legs give out long before my butt gets sore when I ride my mountain bike with this seat on it.

• Like 1

I hope the OP doesn't mind if I join the conversation, but it seems like there are some very knowledgeable bicycle people in this thread..

My endless search of Klipsch speakers led me into a dingy pawn shop yeaster day and I ran across this for $700:

post-47735-0-36860000-1426776390_thumb.j

post-47735-0-48620000-1426776414_thumb.j

post-47735-0-07340000-1426776438_thumb.j

post-47735-0-66260000-1426776450_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am sure I could get it for $500 out the door. What do you guys think? It seemed to fit me perfect but I have been out of the mountain biking game for years. I used to be a huge Specialized fan.

What do you guys think for $500?

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 2

Bicycles are dangerous enough on the street. Being on a recumbent you sit lower and the people in car's and SUV's loose sight of you over the hood and 1/4 panel. In a line of cars the only one to get a good look at you is the first car, the next cars you kind of pop up out of nowhere. Some recumbent riders use a 1/4 inch pole with a flag on it. This does not help. The flag points straight back because of the wind. It needs to be 3x bigger and sit at an angle so it faces flat to oncoming cars.

The biggest problem with any bike on the road is people trying to pass you. I gave it up because of this. They think they can squeeze by, then you get the shaft when they are wrong. Only way to counter this is to seemingly be a jerk and ride down the middle of the street instead of closer to the edge.

• Like 1

Ever thought of a unicycle for those short jaunts to the corner store?

Helps your sense of balance and builds your legs up since you can't coast

Yes

Double yes

Two wheels are for wimps. :emotion-14:

I don't remember the size...  could be anything from a seven footer up to a ten footer (7,8,9,10)

Starting on a little one however, is recommended as prudent.

post-12967-0-43420000-1426804312_thumb.j

• Like 2