A Good Bicycle?

Tarheel

To share my experience/advice: I ride Trek FX.

It is ok for both worlds - leisure riding and can take more avid runs with ease.

It was just to slow for asphalt roads so I replaced stock tires with Continental Gatorskins (700*28) - now it runs like a dream. You wont be breaking any speed records with FX, but it is comfortable, not too heavy, although aluminum - it has enough flex in the frame to take some longer rides and not to break your spine.

It is cheap, good quality easy to maintain.

I also put SPD pedals for longer runs. Try to see if frame geometry fit your body prorportions (of course you know that :) ).

Happy riding

• Like 2

I picked up a Giant Yukon off of craigslist for $150 and took it straight to a bike shop for a cleaning and tuning. I just replaced the knobby original tires with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DX1DWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

boy am I ever happy with this bike. New tires made a enormous difference for city riding.

• Like 1

It's sunny here so it's off to the bike shop when they open to ride a few.  Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.  I read a little on a bike forum and those boys can get testy!  Way to0 serious.

Just now recalled that mobile homeless (an old forum member) is local and a serious cycler.  May try and contact him.

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 2

bike forum and those boys can get testy! Way to0 serious

LOL - yup!!!  I am a very avid mountain biker.  However, some of the riders I encounter, well their ego's are near the point of rupture.  No time in my life for such arrogance!

Ride on Bro and good luck in your search.  I think a well fit hybrid is your ticket but the bike shop will help with your quest.

:)

• Like 1

I picked up a Giant Yukon off of craigslist for $150 and took it straight to a bike shop for a cleaning and tuning. I just replaced the knobby original tires with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DX1DWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

boy am I ever happy with this bike. New tires made a enormous difference for city riding.

I use a similar tire from Continental on my mountain bike, and you're right - the tires make a huge difference when riding on pavement.

• Like 1

Ride on Bro and good luck in your search.  I think a well fit hybrid is your ticket but the bike shop will help with your quest.

:)

Agree with that :emotion-21:

Hybrid with easiest slick tires you can buy could be winning combination for you. I do not know your cycle background, but since you drove old 10-speed, you are probably aware of the importance of bicycle tire weight and their rolling resistance. So, easy and confortable bike frame plus low-weight racing tires equals enjoyable ride :smile: (do not quote me on that bike forums, you might end up banned :wink::)  ).

Edited by parlophone1
  • Like 1

Have had my Giant for 15 years.  It still works like the day I bought it.

Not the lightest frame, not the highest rated gears, not the ultimate brakes, but very good all around. 

A $400 giant will do about everything you want.

If you want to train for Tour De France, throw away the Giant and open up the checkbook cuz the prices have no ceiling.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I can see Chuck now...................................

adult-on-training-wheels.jpg

The photographer in me wants to point out the lens distortion.  Look at the bent flagpole and the closer but smaller training wheel. Not to mention the HUGE front wheel on the bike.

Sorry, just a habit.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Hybrid with easiest slick tires you can buy could be winning combination for you. I do not know your cycle background, but since you drove old 10-speed, you are probably aware of the importance of bicycle tire weight and their rolling resistance. So, easy and confortable bike frame plus low-weight racing tires equals enjoyable ride :smile: (do not quote me on that bike forums, you might end up banned :wink::)  ).

Hybrids are nice, just dorky. :) For a casual rider, even a mountain bike with slicks is pretty nice. I hate actual road bikes. I tried to get into them but I don't care for the social scene, or dogs about making me wreck, or dudes who throw soft drinks at your head which happened to a guy near my house, or the super hard tires mounted to super stiff frames where you can feel every vibration much less the bumps.

In my opinion the only time you need an actual road bike is if you plan to stay above 20 mph for extended periods of time for a thrill. Casual riders that do it for fun and exercise just don't need one. As for the tires, yeah they're fast, but if you're riding by yourself, personally I'd take a little extra weight to be able to run them at a lower pressure as well as being more immune to puncture flats, but that's just me. Replacing road bike tubes on the side of the road by yourself just kind of sucks. If you're not in a paceline, you just don't lose all that much with puncture resistant tires.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

AWESOME Tarheel!!!  - sweet ride :D

I am glad you found a bike that will work for you, and a smashing deal at that

and a sore butt!

That will get better in time.  I wear a padded short when I ride.  Highly suggested and a worthwhile investment.

Happy for you and look forward to maybe hearing some of your 2-wheeled adventures.

...just a cool shot I snapped during a quick break on my ride this evening after work   "Got Dirt"

20150316_181425_zpsvu4g5cz3.jpg?14265520

Ride on Bro...

• Like 3

Bought a Trek 7.3 that someone had ordered and changed their mind.  So I got a $649 bike for $475 plus tax.  Nice ride and a sore butt!

Stock saddles on FX bikes sucks for most of the pople. I changed mine in about 2 weeks :) .

Soft saddle usualy does not mean it is more confortable. Now I ride on a cheap MTB saddle that one bike shop was discarding for peanuts, from new bicycles that came into that local bike shop. Believe me, I tried a few (more than 30 saddles :rolleyes: , including leather Brooks and so on...). This is highly individual. You wont be noticing that on short rides, but more than 10 miles ride should tell you everything you need to know about the saddle.

Also, stock tires are good, BUT if you plan to ride on asphalt I wholehartedly advise for replacing them with slicks (except and only except if you plan on riding much on a wet roads - than they will be slippery). There are other options for wet.

On the contrary to common understanding that racing tires are hard as a rock and unconfortable, if you buy nice (read expensive ) road slicks like Continentals (not necesarily that brand), you will find out very quickly why they cost so much ;).

Do not go skinier than 28 wide (currently I believe that FX goes on 35c width, so 28 are skinier :) ). The rim does not provide for 25 and it could get hard. It is the technology of the tire, copmpound that it is made of, and much more than that that makes racing slicks so good. I believe that the recommended preasure for my tires is 90 PSI (cca 6-8 bars). It is much more than mountain bike tires, that is true. But the tire is designed to be riden on such presure. I tried riding them on lesser preasure (5 bars, even 3,5 bars), and ride was more unconfortable than on 6 bars, not to mention that you risk to puncture the tire. Majority of punctures on road tires are caused by low presure. 700*28 tire gives you more than enough comfort. I can honestly say that riding them is more comfortable than stock 700*35C tires. Just have to aviod pot holes and you will be fine.

Now you only have to ride (a couple of rides not more thatn 10 miles at once) will give you all the information on what is happening. Maybe you will have to adjust saddle position, handlebars etc. to find out what fits best for you. More mileage on the bike will make you less prone to but sores (yes, padded panties help :D ).

This is mine FX 7.2:

Trek_FX72_2_zps9f00cdfa.jpg

I find more agresive position more confortable for ME on alonger rides, so a reverted the stem upside down, put some bar ends, and wrap them all in a thick handlebar tape. That way i have more positions for the hands, and that handlebar tape is better than grips to me.

Edited by parlophone1
  • Like 1

Stock saddles on FX bikes sucks for most of the pople. I changed mine in about 2 weeks . Soft saddle usualy does not mean it is more confortable. Now I ride on a cheap MTB saddle that one bike shop was discarding for peanuts, from new bicycles that came into that local bike shop. Believe me, I tried a few (more than 30 saddles , including leather Brooks and so on...). This is highly individual. You wont be noticing that on short rides, but more than 10 miles ride should tell you everything you need to know about the saddle. Also, stock tires are good, BUT if you plan to ride on asphalt I wholehartedly advise for replacing them with slicks (except and only except if you plan on riding much on a wet roads - than they will be slippery). There are other options for wet. On the contrary to common understanding that racing tires are hard as a rock and unconfortable, if you buy nice (read expensive ) road slicks like Continentals (not necesarily that brand), you will find out very quickly why they cost so much . Do not go skinier than 28 wide (currently I believe that FX goes on 35c width, so 28 are skinier ). The rim does not provide for 25 and it could get hard. It is the technology of the tire, copmpound that it is made of, and much more than that that makes racing slicks so good. I believe that the recommended preasure for my tires is 90 PSI (cca 6-8 bars). It is much more than mountain bike tires, that is true. But the tire is designed to be riden on such presure. I tried riding them on lesser preasure (5 bars, even 3,5 bars), and ride was more unconfortable than on 6 bars, not to mention that you risk to puncture the tire. Majority of punctures on road tires are caused by low presure. 700*28 tire gives you more than enough comfort. I can honestly say that riding them is more comfortable than stock 700*35C tires. Just have to aviod pot holes and you will be fine. Now you only have to ride (a couple of rides not more thatn 10 miles at once) will give you all the information on what is happening. Maybe you will have to adjust saddle position, handlebars etc. to find out what fits best for you. More mileage on the bike will make you less prone to but sores (yes, padded panties help ).

Excellent post. Points of contact (tires to road, hiney to seat, hands to bars and feet to pedals) are the bike, as far as the rider is concerned. Seats and tires are easily changed, and will totally transform your riding experience.

• Like 1

Nice bike tarheel. One area that you might want to upgrade ( beside the seat) is

a derailleur. The ones on your bike are not very high up the food chain.

Going up a model or two can make a huge improvement.

Where I ride it's pretty flat. Most of the time I am in the big chain ring up front.

I end up doing most of my shifting on the rear wheel. If you want to upgrade

check out a 105 or slx shadow. Ask the shop if they are compatible with your

shifter. They run $ 60-70.

• Like 1

Bought a Trek 7.3 that someone had ordered and changed their mind.  So I got a $649 bike for $475 plus tax.  Nice ride and a sore butt!

Sorry i’m late to this party Chuck…I could have consulted my son-in-law. He was a professional cyclist (with the likes of Lance Armstrong and those guys).  You probably did fine with the Trek, I seem to recall my son-in-law being on the Trek Mountain Bike team once upon a time. 

Be careful out there and have fun.

• Like 1

How about a recumbant bike. Might be a little easier on the tushy.

I understand the logic, but they just look goofy to me.  Furthermore, their lower profile exacerbates the not being seen by cars problem.  At least they're less likely to get stolen.

On that note, I rarely lock my 23# vintage racer, as I don't leave it out of my sight often.  It seems silly to carry a lock that almost weighs as much as the bike.

Click on the attached pdf to see yours truly on an even goofier form of cycle.

unicycle juggler.pdf

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1