Under $20K basic 2-ch audio system

John Warren

My guess is that John's recommendations were constrained by a number of obstacles. I assume that the footprint and WAF were high on the list as well as a turnkey system using new and low-maintenance components (perhaps room placement also). With a budget of 20K, then Palladiums are off the list. The room placement (if that was a factor) would eliminate the K-Horns. As for Cornwalls, many folks feel these are just too large for a living room (not that I agree, but many are bothered by their size) As far as tubes, then many folks perceive tube equipment as either temperamental or high maintenance (whether this is actually true or not, the belief is real for many folks).

As with most decisions, there are probably many, many other factors that were stated and that needed to be weighed.

Edited by PrestonTom

My guess is that John's recommendations were constrained by a number of obstacles. I assume that the footprint and WAF were high on the list as well as a turnkey system using new and low-maintenance components (perhaps room placement also). With a budget of 20K, then Palladiums are off the list. The room placement (if that was a factor) would eliminate the K-Horns. As for Cornwalls, many folks feel these are just too large for a living room (not that I agree, but many are bothered by their size) As far as tubes, then many folks perceive tube equipment as either temperamental or high maintenance (whether this is actually true or not, the belief is real for many folks).

As with most decisions, there are probably many, many other factors that were stated and that needed to be weighed.

The P37 Palladium are the same price as the OP's choice….8k msrp.

The P37 Palladium are the same price as the OP's choice….8k msrp.

Correct. It was a force of habit and I was thinking of the P39 as the Palladium.

Speakers:  B&W Diamond 804  $7500/pr.

Total $16,700.

How did I do?

You did great, if this was the B&W discussion forum!  :wacko:

I'm not a big fan of the B&W 804's, they are a little thin on top.  How about a pair of Palladium P-37's for the L/R?  That is $8,000 for the pair and it gives the good doctor really nice options if he wants to upgrade to a full home theater setup in the future.

http://www.klipsch.com/p-37f-floorstanding-speaker/details

P-37F_-_Natural_-_Angle_6355460501061840

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

& if the WAF kills big k-horns.  how about palladiums? 

That's what I thought….trade in the B&K for P37s.

If I had read past Post #1, I wouldn't have had to make my own post, I just could have "liked" your posts!  :D

• Like 1

VRD Monos - $3,500

NBS Preamp - $2,200

VPI Scout II TT w/ Ortofon 2m Black - $3,600

Klipschorn (2009's) - $9,000

Wyred 4 Sound 2 DAC - $2,500

Jolida hot rodded CD player $1,500

Various interconnects - $2,000

total - $24,300. Special, today only, $20,000!

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

No doubt that is a fine list list Earl, but where is he going to find someone dumb enough who would sell those rare 2009 K-horns for only $9,000?  Most people who own those know what they're worth.

You've got to start thinking things through...  :emotion-19:

Edited by wvu80

If I had read past Post #1, I wouldn't have had to make my own post, I just could have "liked" your posts!  :D

You did such a good job I "liked" 3 of your posts!  :D

• Like 1

You did such a good job I "liked" 3 of your posts!  :D

It looks like our posts got cross-threaded, again!  (Dave Mallete was made to suffer ingloriously for his hilarious cross threaded post a couple of days ago when he posted that he was locking a controversial thread that was no more than basketball talk)

No doubt that is a fine list list Earl, but where is he going to find someone dumb enough who would sell those rare 2009 K-horns for only $9,000?  Most people who own those know what they're worth.

You've got to start thinking things through...  :emotion-19:

Dave,

You know me...generous to a fault. :)

• Like 1

Everybody says you're a fine fellow Earl, everybody.  :)

So...does this mean you're taking me up on my offer to safeguard your K-horns at my house, pending their sale for $9,000? 

Absolutely, as long as you move out, pay the mortgage, utilities, etc., and I move in.

When is the transfer date??

Note that the end users are both he and his wife.  She's very excited about getting a new system and is interested in ease use, appearance in the living room.  I also think women, in general, have better hearing then men especially in the upper octaves so freedom from distortion in the high frequency ranges is important. 

Apparently, she buys most of the new music.  He listens to the same 30 CDs he bought in dental school.

We're not dealing with audio-types at all, tubes are out.

Ease of use was emphasized a couple of times as was "quality" of hardware. 

The MA6600 is, for all intents and purposes, a top-tier receiver with the AM/FM HD module plug-in.  It's bullet, idiot and goof proof.  From my own personal experience with it, it's faultless and something I'd show to an alien being of superior intellect as an example of how mankind solved the audio amplifier "problem".    

I suggested the B&Ws because they're basically neutral (flat).  When I first spent time with them , I was blasé about them.  As my ears "broke in" and I spent more time with them I liked them and would recommend them.

The hardware I suggested allows for purchase of a reasonable sub-woofer which I suggested he might want after living with the system given the 804 are a wee bit "thin" in the lowest end.  

Edited by John Warren

My guess is that John's recommendations were constrained by a number of obstacles. I assume that the footprint and WAF were high on the list as well as a turnkey system using new and low-maintenance components (perhaps room placement also).

Yes sir, you're spot on.  It's important that his wife sees this as a positive experience and not an exercise in self-indulgence.  

John, your friend is lucky to have a friend like you doing some advising.  He is so clear about his and his wife's goals, combined with your obvious expertise, I'm sure he is going to end up with a dynamite system.

Since he's spending this much money, I might suggest you go ahead and firm up the hardware purchase decisions and get that installed.  Then arrange to have several sets of speakers auditioned in his house.  That is when he and his wife will be able to make the best decision on what looks good and what sounds good.

The Wife Approval Factor is not overrated.

+++

I am not trying to sell any gear, and I really don't care which brand he ends up with, but you might want to know that Klipsch offers a 30-day trial on new purchases.  http://www.klipsch.com/cart

I like all of your comments. If someone asked me the same I would say, "Lets spend a day or two, and go to some local shops and listen to gear together and talk about gear". If he is serious about spending that kind of money he really needs to listen. That's my feeling because I really like interacting and talking with people.

Bob

Bob-I did recommend that he become familiar with what's out there and make an effort to audition gear.   I invited him to see the MA6600 I've got here too.  I'm using them with a pair of Large Advents (in Walnut veneer) that my wife picked up in a yard-sale that I refurbished (I'm currently in a state of audiophile rebellion).

At least he can see the amp.

• Like 1

Khorns, Cornwalls or RF7-IIs depending on wife factor 

VRD's

NBS Preamplifier if at some point he might use Vinyl

Decent CD player as a transport

Decent quality DAC with extra line level inputs and remote control

Countless reasonably good tuners...

Would easily be less then 20K and sound like 50K or better of course my opinion might be a bit slanted!

He might be biased, but I'm not :D.

Klipschorns, assuming proper corners are available. If not, Belle Klipsch or LaScala plus horn loaded sub (Tuba?) ($4K for nice used, can even allow for top section and network modifications at $8K total)

VRDs ($3K)

NBS preamp ($3K with the options I would choose)

Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 ($1.7K loaded)

McIntosh MR71 ($1.5K minty)

Thorens TD124 (3K with SME or Michell tonearm plus cartridge).

Yours for the low price of $20,200 :lol:

I like all of your comments. If someone asked me the same I would say, "Lets spend a day or two, and go to some local shops and listen to gear together and talk about gear". If he is serious about spending that kind of money he really needs to listen. That's my feeling because I really like interacting and talking with people.

Bob

Bob-I did recommend that he become familiar with what's out there and make an effort to audition gear.   I invited him to see the MA6600 I've got here too.  I'm using them with a pair of Large Advents (in Walnut veneer) that my wife picked up in a yard-sale that I refurbished (I'm currently in a state of audiophile rebellion).

At least he can see the amp.

John,

That's great that you have taken the time to help him make an informed decision. Although I probably don't know as much as some here, I none the less enjoy talking and learning. I think when we share it makes things more enjoyable.

Bob