Under $20K basic 2-ch audio system

John Warren

Go to the Home Theater board and ask the guys about surround processors ....

Hey, who left the door open and let a multi-channel guy into the 2 channel forum! :) Maybe we need a secret handshake or something?

Think of a totl surround processor as a really good DAC with room EQ

My guess is that John's recommendations were constrained by a number of obstacles. I assume that the footprint and WAF were high on the list as well as a turnkey system using new and low-maintenance components (perhaps room placement also).

As with most decisions, there are probably many, many other factors that were stated and that needed to be weighed.

Yes sir, you're spot on.  It's important that his wife sees this as a positive experience and not an exercise in self-indulgence.  

One thing this hobby is all about, IS self indulgence.  Who buys $3K networks for their K's, as says "oh these sound extremely lovely, but I sure hope I wont be viewed as being self indulgent" 

or

We just dropped $20,000 dollars on a two channel "stereo" setup, but we kept it positive and real, heavens no, we have not over enjoyed the whole system either and don't intend to. It just wouldn't be positive.

"Don't spend so much money that you run out of money before you run out of life.

Don't spend so little money that you don't enjoy life while you have it."

The Wisdom of Roland

Edited by Bubo
  • Like 2

I have read through this post but cannot find any mention of what they are currently listening to. That may help when making a reccomendation or shed light as to their "passion" for music/stereo gear.. As fun as it would be to spend someone else's $20,000 on stereo gear I would like, I dont think that is the case here. I agree with Preston Tom that I have helped people with stereo set ups in the past only to find out they never figure out how to use it correctly, or adjust it to fit the decor, etc. My brother in laws wife had him remove the subwoofer because it didn't go with the room! I would keep it very simple with quality components and let them keep the left over $10,000.

• Like 1

I have read through this post but cannot find any mention of what they are currently listening to. That may help when making a reccomendation or shed light as to their "passion" for music/stereo gear.. As fun as it would be to spend someone else's $20,000 on stereo gear I would like, I dont think that is the case here. I agree with Preston Tom that I have helped people with stereo set ups in the past only to find out they never figure out how to use it correctly, or adjust it to fit the decor, etc. My brother in laws wife had him remove the subwoofer because it didn't go with the room! I would keep it very simple with quality components and let them keep the left over $10,000.

Most here have their gear listed in their signature.

Audio components should be placed where they work/sound best and not where they look the best.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Mac Amp MC152  MSRP $4,500

LaScalas MSRP $7,000 in cherry

A couple of the Reference series Klipsch Subs, we were getting them on New Egg for $300 ea.

TOTL Sony BluRay player less than $100

2000 + 4500 max + 7000 max + 600? + 100 = $14,200

This would be a world class system, that you could spend a lot more money and may still fall short.

While nice for the money I have a hard time saying two of those cheaper 12's are "world class" and can keep up with everything else you just mentioned.

I had a less expensive down-firing synergy, then bought these when they went on sale from $1000 down to $300

So I can honestly say they are the best subs I have owned......if you can think of some that you know well that are better put them up here!

What makes a good sub .....................well a good sub????

If you want a nice high end power amp... Sonnie over at HomeTheaterShack is selling the following amps...

Krell Duo 175

Mark Levinson 532H

Pass Labs X250.5

They are only 30 days old and are close to half price... They were purchased for a amp evaluation.

Any of the amps would be great in a $20k system in my opinion.

I have nothing to do with the sale, and I am only posting this due to the TS looking for some great equipment to a 2 channel setup, and at these prices they are a steal.

Edited by ellisr63

It all boils down to this. Do you want air pushers (direct radiators) or air squeezers (horn loaded). If you squeeze the air, it takes about 15db less power and 1/6th the amount of cone excursion to do the job. So if a cone moves 6 times as far in a pusher to do the same output level, which one do you think will create the sound first? IOW, get to the finish line before turning around and going back the opposite direction. Squeezers have more micro detail AND superior TRANSIENT response which IS the LIFE of the music.

All of my speakers from Sub to Tweet in my 2.2 are squeezers with 32 drivers  Designed by Tom Danley, using the same principles put forth by Paul W. Klipsch, Don Keele, and Marshall Leach, using drivers and cabinets all made in the USA except for German or Italian tweeters.   with Controlled Dispersion and Phase Linearity. Sprinkle in some room correction electronics (Audyssey or Mini DSP) and for less money you get something that will STOMP that cissy BMW stuff any day of the week in any room, guaranteed.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

As to the Heritage LaSclas this is Volti's interpretation of the LaScala the Vittoria. Worth a look.

It would be nice if Klipsch took at look at updating the Heritage designs with performance first followed by form and style.

hiresvittora50.889.771.jpg

I spent the majority of a weekend at the Axpona show a couple years ago with Greg and the Vittoria speakers! I loved them they sound very similar to my frankenscala's....but in this instance they would blow the majority of the 20k budget. Edited by NOSValves

Love the mainstays recliner idea...  :)  I'm going to assume thought that Walmart's furniture will last as long as the Big Lot's stuff I bought after college (which wasn't long).

Oppo ~$800

Scott 299 updated ~$600

Cornscala ~$1200

Wetbar ,Variety Single Malt Scotch, Mainstays Home Theater Recliner (s)~$17400  

Turn off ur phone.

I'd probably say go with some room treatments like the GIK soffit bass traps:  http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-soffit-bass-trap/

Maybe 8 total and of these for the first reflection points.  I'm not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money on equipment and not spend $2-3k on treating the room.  I suspect a lot of high-end systems are like that though.

As to the Heritage LaSclas this is Volti's interpretation of the LaScala the Vittoria. Worth a look.

It would be nice if Klipsch took at look at updating the Heritage designs with performance first followed by form and style.

I spent the majority of a weekend at the Axpona show a couple years ago with Greg and the Vittoria speakers! I loved them they sound very similar to my frankenscala's....but in this instance they would blow the majority of the 20k budget.

Of course they do!  Not too much difference is there except his are reaaallly pretty?