Black Duratex Cornwalls?

jimjimbo

I have a pair of quite rough Cornwall cabinets, that I am considering doing a black Duratex treatment on....I have all of the drivers, crossovers, etc. for them, but have been sort of holding out for a possible veneer job on them at some point.  To be honest, I want to part with them, as I already have ....several....other pairs of CW's...so I'm thinking maybe this is the quickest way to get them finished and put them up for sale...but, I don't know, are black CW's desirable at all (I mean, maybe not for you guys), but on the basic marketplace?  Since I'm doing the La Scala's, I can put a coat on those too.

• Like 1

I have a pair of quite rough Cornwall cabinets, that I am considering doing a black Duratex treatment on....I have all of the drivers, crossovers, etc. for them, but have been sort of holding out for a possible veneer job on them at some point.  To be honest, I want to part with them, as I already have ....several....other pairs of CW's...so I'm thinking maybe this is the quickest way to get them finished and put them up for sale...but, I don't know, are black CW's desirable at all (I mean, maybe not for you guys), but on the basic marketplace?  Since I'm doing the La Scala's, I can put a coat on those too.

Jim, IMHO "The Coating From Hell" may not be the best idea in mind at this time.

No better time to learn the fine art of veneering, lets face it if you mess them up you can always squirt them.

Now on a second thought, why do anything? Mancave/Garage speakers?

Just throwing my two cents out there......

Edited by minermark

If you really just want to put a cover on them you can try plasti-dip. Its not very durable but its easy to use and you can peel it off if you dont like it. I would definitely try to veneer them though, ive been looking into it lately and you can do some pretty cool stuff. 

the average CW gets banged up on the sides and top  panels -scalas the bottoms as well -to get gorgeous cabs ,  I either replace these panels with 3/4 inch or 1 inch - also simply  adding  a 1/4" or 3/8" veneered or non-veneered panel is a viable solution if the panels can be glued over with brads -

No sir.  This is actually the very first pair I ever bought, from a little old lady out in the middle of freakin' nowhere Indiana.....(true)  These cabs were pretty nasty, and I had to strip all of the veneer off of them.  All of the "Colter Cornwalls" are still happily in residence....

No sir.  This is actually the very first pair I ever bought, from a little old lady out in the middle of freakin' nowhere Indiana.....(true)  These cabs were pretty nasty, and I had to strip all of the veneer off of them.  All of the "Colter Cornwalls" are still happily in residence....

Happy Easter Jim ---- pictures of the cabs would be cool - and I thought old ladies took care of their stuff -