Amp is going to protection mode on big bass

Mallette

My Yamaha is connected to my sub via RCA.  However, when there is big bass she will shut down with a "check sp wire" error.  It isn't that.  I've checked closely.  I am having a hard time trying to figure out when a subwoofer out line level would cause this.  Frankly, I don't think that is it...but it's all I have for evidence that it coincides with major bass on movies. 

Any thoughts?

Dave

But if we are talking speaker wire then we aren't talking subwoofer. We are talking something hooked up via speaker wire? Something is either touching speaker end or they are really easy to touch on the back of the avr if they aren't fresh cuts twisted really tight.

You're turning the volume up too high, my Yamaha says the same thing when it clips, "check speaker wire" . Does it shut off also, then you can turn it back on? I connected an amp for 2 channel listening and the clipping hasn't happened again, and it's twice as loud!

I'd think this is the amp driving the mains.

If the receiver is set for mains being "large" they are getting bass and the current could put the amps into an overload. As mentioned above it seems to me that the low impedance of the bass speaker in the mains is something the amp does not like.

My suggestion is to set the mains to small so they are not getting pounded by bass and therefore current to the mains will be reduced.

WMcD

A guy was having the same problem as you and here is what he said:

"I fix my problem.

I got a Vacuum and flipped the switch the switch to reverse and blew the inside and the speakers ports out and now it's not shutting off and i can crank it up to -5db now"

That's a quote. Post 109 in this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2253247&page=5

In this thread, impedance and connection seemed to be the issue: http://www.fixya.com/support/t137613-check_speaker_wire_error_yamaha

In short, it seems others who have given advice above agree. The problem isn't the sub. 

I had one do that as well. I checked everything in back of the receiver, double checked everything I could, then as a last resort, decided to follow the wires and inspect every inch of them. I found it, the dog (I'm assuming, but either way he's getting the blame) chewed a small hole in the wire. It wasnt like cut in half either, it was very small and hard to find. 

If you have some extra wire and is easily accessible, that would be a start. Just take each speaker wire out of the equation 1 by 1. 

EDIT. The bad speaker wire turned out to be surround speaker, had nothing to do with sub but it had the same symptoms; would play at low volume but when cranked, thats when trouble happened.

Edited by mxr dad

Not knowing the other components in the system and their setup

1. Disconnect the RCA connection at Yamaha and see if you can repeat the issue with rest of your speakers i.e. 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, 7.0,...

2. Assuming that it still goes in "current limitation / safety mode / protection mode".

- Check the speaker settings on Yamaha - change all of them to "SMALL".

- If there's a crossover setting then set it to 120Hz or 150Hz for all speakers so that no speakers try to play below the crossover point.

- When speakers set as "BIG" or low crossover point, they'll try to produce lower frequency, where quite often they dip up to 2ohms or less when there's need to produce strong bass (e.g. in  your case movie passage with strong bass). To produce that heavy/strong bass, speaker coils needs lots of current to drive that big size cone in-out i.e. needing very high current to drive them. Fortunately, YAMAHA's output stage checks for this and shuts down the output stage of the amplifier to protect.

3. Speaker Wire and Connections:

- Make sure no "loose strand" of a multi-strand wire is trouching either the metal body of YAMAHA, other speaker terminal, or any other wire. Check this at the both end of the connections; one at YAMAHA end and other at Speaker end for both (+) and (-) wires. Heavy bass yielding in vibration might be causing to touch the metal part of the unit, leading to activation of the "Protection Mode".

- Check visually for kinks, cuts, etc. If there is one, use electrical insulating tape to fix it. Best is to replace the wire, as it's cheap.

- If possible use lower gauge (thicker cross-section wire) to minimize the voltage drop across the wire.

- Make sure connections are tight at YAMAHA and at Speaker end.

Hope this helps to find your issue !!

Edited by pite

Thanks for the responses.  I'll take a look this afternoon before the Interstellar movie tonight.  I am hoping it's the speakers being set to "large."  I really can't recall, but I DO know that that supposedly 100wpc Yammie doesn't drive the highly efficient Fraziers as high as it should so it MIGHT be that. 

Dave