Bummed Out Easter

The History Kid

Ok but I'm still askin , SSA disability or something else??

If it's SS, the lawyers only handle so much. Study on that.

If SSA, I very much recommend you are proactive and explore this forum... By far the most informative on SSD

http://www.ssdfacts.com/forum/

My Wife, also Teacher lost her job due to badd knees.

We have been fooling with SSA for almost 3 yrs now, with a good attorney.

Currently recently denied by ALJ for ridiculous subjective reasons.

So again, are you doing SSA or something else??    Lars

I don't think age is protected class except for employment so I don't know that you would get very far with that.  Missouri adds "Ancestry" to the list of protected classes but that might not help.  I worked full time while going to college spread out over 7 years so I was a non-traditional student by the time I finished and was one of the "old guys" when I got to grad school.  I actually found some of the best camaraderie with international students with whom I studied and became friends.  They were the most serious about studying.

Be persistent and don't give up!  Setbacks don't mean the end for you!

I'm working on my plan B's on the college part which is the only thing we haven't gotten addressed because it's the new issue.

Lars, this is an insurance company managing leave-with-pay benefits with disability through the local school district. It is not associated with Federal Disability, or Social Security.

Ok, we have somewhat like that here in TX, exclusively for school employees in TX.

We got that disability, $456/month relatively easily.

But now going for the additional SS which would be ballpark $700 on top of that per month has been a continuing nightmare.  Lars

Hey Finallygotmyhersies -- you work for the VA?

Yes I do, currently at the Phoenix VA hospital. I am also a 8yr veteran of the A.F. GI Bill is outstanding these days, tuition 100% paid for full-time students and you receive a tax free stipend monthly which is based on your zip code. Here it would be $1500~1600. Its certainly not for everyone but I like to remind people of the benefits of military service.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the bad news gift that keeps on giving. I feel your pain. I have had a black cloud following me since 2012.

2012 - Had to get extremely painful series of rabies shots after bat interaction.

2013 - Came down with mystery illness and dropped 40 lbs in two months, fever, sweats, no apetite, etc...was misdiagnosed as lymphoma. Never figured it out but doctors dismissed it after the wieght started coming back on and I started feeling better. They guessed it was a strain of the flu.

2014 - Stepson commited suicide at age 25 and shocked all of us. Been with him since he was 2 yrs old.

2015 - One of my best friends just died last month from flesh eating bacteria and my wife's best friend just got diagnosed last week with breast cancer.

Please, do as I am Ibiza, keep heavy on the prayers. Hopefully things will work out. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and pulling for you!

Tim

• Like 1

Wow Teaman, that is some rough years. Sorry you have to go thru all of that. One thing I have noticed, at least for me, that old saying when it rains it pours seems to be a pattern for me and of course have very little control over most of it. I'll go thru a couple of bad years and then seems like it gets back on auto-pilot and things seem to level out and get back to normal. (At least my definition of normal :D ). Maybe yours will be on Auto-Pilot soon.

Hey Finallygotmyhersies -- you work for the VA?

Yes I do, currently at the Phoenix VA hospital. I am also a 8yr veteran of the A.F. GI Bill is outstanding these days, tuition 100% paid for full-time students and you receive a tax free stipend monthly which is based on your zip code. Here it would be $1500~1600. Its certainly not for everyone but I like to remind people of the benefits of military service.

cool--hoping you were the one that was computing my back pay  :D   Have been receiving my pension for about a year; but, my entitlement date was 15 months before i received first payment. parent service verified back pay owed and notified VA this past June.  Still waiting for the cash.  Hoping you were the guy that could push the magic button.

Attitude is everything.  When i lived in Michigan there was this middle-aged guy that had some sort of developmental disability…he could still get around and do minor things for himself; but, you could tell that he had some issue.  He went to the church I attended.  He was unkempt, dressed in baggy pants and t-shirts. One day, the pastor and deacons pitched in and bought him new clothes…nice slacks, button up shirts and belt.  When they gave them to him he was so excited, saying how great great this was because he knew somebody that needed some new clothes.

The guy never once considered that the stuff was for him and only thought about someone else he knew that was in need.

Not 100% applicable here; but, just making my point that attitude is key. Keep looking for the silver lining guys.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 3

This is me trying to not jump the gun...but there's a very real possibility this could be what I've been praying for: a way to move my debts from the private loaner to the federal loaner. The overshoot from the amount of money I could get would swallow the private balance pretty easily. So I'm hopeful there.

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about your situation. I can't add to the advice to remain positive, other than there is no shame in seeing a counselor. Most universities have a student counseling center on campus,for free. There is a reason for that.

Where are you attending in St. Louis? Where would you attend in Iowa?