Dynaco amps in Hope?

jimjimbo

What pre were they using with the VRDs?

the Nosvalves NBS.

Michael,

There was more than 1 Pre in the mix that I know of???

Roger

Correct, but we started out with the NBS and VRD's. Then we switched to the Scott and Dynaco's. Then the NBS. And I think all of saturday was with the Scott.

Ok, bear with me here as I don't want the "forum speak" to be mis-understood as you well know that typing ain't like talking! Several folks asked me to bring the VRD/NBS and I was happy to do that but..........

I arrived at Rodney's sooner than others and brought the gear in and got some tunes going. Shortly after that others brought their gear in and of course wanted to display their wares. Being the new guy and is my personality I just wanted to go with the flow and let whatever be whatever.

I am, let's say, very protective of my stereo gear and with the traffic on the stage and multiple wirings thru iffy switches I opted to remove my gear from the mix. The VRD / NBS stayed on site throughout the weekend and if anyone had asked they were on call. It was not up to me to make the call but I was not going to request that they be put into the mix nor was I going to subject my gear to potential damage. I was called an azz because I mentioned that things were being placed on top of mine and other members' equipment. I entered this foray assuming that everyone there would treat all equipment like I do; some do,some do not. If it's yours, do what you want but.....I just don't set ANYTHING on my stuff, period.

I believe that we needed more speaker pairs but alas I was not transporting my Belles in the back of the truck thru rain.

• Like 1

Were you in a position to be able to listen to any of the differences between pres, amps? I have heard that the VRDs with that NOS preamp is a pretty hot setup. I have the VRDs but not the preamp.

Michael and his Buddy were furniture next to the Cornwalls and most of the tube gear all weekend!! I don't know how he did it, I suspect he is tone deaf, but he will have to fill you in, not me.... :)

Roger

There was a time that my NBS was matched with Roger's amp for a minute or two but something was horribly wrong. With the multiple wiring/switching going on I elected to take the NBS out of the mix.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

Were you in a position to be able to listen to any of the differences between pres, amps? I have heard that the VRDs with that NOS preamp is a pretty hot setup. I have the VRDs but not the preamp.

Michael and his Buddy were furniture next to the Cornwalls and most of the tube gear all weekend!! I don't know how he did it, I suspect he is tone deaf, but he will have to fill you in, not me.... :)

Roger

I do have to deal with some social anxiety in a room full of strangers (odd, given we all "know" each other right?), so i did tend to park it on the fringe and spend my time just soaking everything in. as such, i cannot adequately comment on the sound. i did spend time engaging people, but i think they all came to me for that to happen.

next year. baby steps. ;)

Ok, bear with me here as I don't want the "forum speak" to be mis-understood as you well know that typing ain't like talking! Several folks asked me to bring the VRD/NBS and I was happy to do that but..........

I arrived at Rodney's sooner than others and brought the gear in and got some tunes going. Shortly after that others brought their gear in and of course wanted to display their wares. Being the new guy and is my personality I just wanted to go with the flow and let whatever be whatever.

I am, let's say, very protective of my stereo gear and with the traffic on the stage and multiple wirings thru iffy switches I opted to remove my gear from the mix. The VRD / NBS stayed on site throughout the weekend and if anyone had asked they were on call. It was not up to me to make the call but I was not going to request that they be put into the mix nor was I going to subject my gear to potential damage. I was called an azz because I mentioned that things were being placed on top of mine and other members' equipment. I entered this foray assuming that everyone there would treat all equipment like I do; some do,some do not. If it's yours, do what you want but.....I just don't set ANYTHING on my stuff, period.

I believe that we needed more speaker pairs but alas I was not transporting my Belles in the back of the truck thru rain.

To be fair to the type of gear we are talking about, we needed some fully Horn Loaded gear for critical listening as well, that is why I would like to A/B on the Jubs if Roy is available AND willing next year??

Roger

• Like 1

There was a time that my NBS was matched with Roger's amp for a minute or two but something was horribly wrong. With the multiple wiring/switching going on I elected to take the NBS out of the mix.

I had No idea who owned the VRDs and should of asked, I just took it for granted that anyone who would tote such nice gear to Hope would be playing it sooner or later and that I would get in on it at that time

I also did not know who's or what Pre Amp they hooked up, but there was obviously some sort of problem as it sounded terrible!

Lets try to plan out better for next year, and use something other than what was being played???

Roger

I had No idea who owned the VRDs and should of asked, I just took it for granted that anyone who would tote such nice gear to Hope would be playing it sooner or later and that I would get in on it at that time

I also did not know who's or what Pre Amp they hooked up, but there was obviously some sort of problem as it sounded terrible!

Lets try to plan out better for next year, and use something other than what was being played???

Roger

As much time as we spent BSing and the car ride to Mom's you woulda thunk

• Like 2

• Moderators

I had No idea who owned the VRDs and should of asked, I just took it for granted that anyone who would tote such nice gear to Hope would be playing it sooner or later and that I would get in on it at that timeI also did not know who's or what Pre Amp they hooked up, but there was obviously some sort of problem as it sounded terrible!Lets try to plan out better for next year, and use something other than what was being played???Roger

Use Roy's reference disks. There are 4 disks, vocals, dynamics, deep bass, etc. There are several tracks that everyone can agree on, and you go from there. Just don't let Roy do the A/B, cause he will make you do it with white noise, if he is in a good mood he will let you switch to pink.

The problem is I think the only jube cabinets they have in Hope are the lab standards, and I don't think they want those outside the lab, but Roy could address that if he is around during next years event. I would really like those to be set up for everyone to listen to, in a good room, with decent corners, with 402's, VRDs on the tops and SS on the bottom.

Travis

• Like 2

I had No idea who owned the VRDs and should of asked, I just took it for granted that anyone who would tote such nice gear to Hope would be playing it sooner or later and that I would get in on it at that timeI also did not know who's or what Pre Amp they hooked up, but there was obviously some sort of problem as it sounded terrible!Lets try to plan out better for next year, and use something other than what was being played???Roger

Use Roy's reference disks. There are 4 disks, vocals, dynamics, deep bass, etc. There are several tracks that everyone can agree on, and you go from there. Just don't let Roy do the A/B, cause he will make you do it with white noise, if he is in a good mood he will let you switch to pink.

The problem is I think the only jube cabinets they have in Hope are the lab standards, and I don't think they want those outside the lab, but Roy could address that if he is around during next years event. I would really like those to be set up for everyone to listen to, in a good room, with decent corners, with 402's, VRDs on the tops and SS on the bottom.

Travis

I would be grateful if Roy would be willing to do it in the Lab???

Even better would be if they hauled the Jubs over to be A,B,C,D'd with the RF-7IIs, the Paladiums, and the Klipschorns!

I had already heard EVERYTHING except the Paladiums including all of the non production big stuff from the Cinema line, but I already had Kevins opinion to go on, so I was NOT surprised! I think ALOT of people got there eyes opened up on that one!

Now, we need the Klipsch faithful that unlike us, haven't A/Bd Jubs against Corner Horns to experience what they have been missing out on and maybe a few will step up to the plate and by jubs or even better yet, MWMs with 402 / K-69 tops!

Roger

• Like 1

Now, we need the Klipsch faithful that unlike us, haven't A/Bd Jubs against Corner Horns to experience what they have been missing out on

Roger, I've heard both in the same room, with the same amps, same acoustics, same music, etc, etc.  and to tell you the truth, I much preferred the Khorns.  To me, they presented a much more engaging listening experience, filled the room with warmth and character, whereas the Jubs, although remarkably clear, just sounded somewhat....clinical and sterile.  JMHO of course, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.... 

• Moderators

Travis

dwilawyer,

I truly wished we would have brought our reference disks.  One song in particular that I did want to hear through Kev's set up was Bonnie Rait's, "Give em Something to Talk About".  I love that song, but it is probably one of the best songs on the disks for comparison purposes, especially when it comes to voicing.

While not a lot, I did manage some critical listening.  The Crystal Clear organ recording is considered to be one of, if not, the finest technical analog direct cut disc of all time.  It was engineered by the legendary Bert Whyte, who managed both the disc cutter and the first commercial digital recording of all time at the same time.  Though a DBX lover, I made sure it was off line as that disc is NOT compressed in any way.  Bert increased and decreased cutting depth and width on the fly rather than riding gain. 

My own rules for what music I love are as follows:

1. Well composed

2. Well performed

3. Well recorded.

While I love much modern electric based and synthetic music I don't listen to it "critically" as there is nothing to compare to except another system since it never existed in actual acoustic space.  My acid test for "fidelity" has always been Stradivarius vs. Amati  and Steinway vs. Boesendorfer.  If I can clearly identify these instruments it's a truly high fidelity rig.

Seriously...when it comes to music I have about as wide a range as anybody I've ever met.  I'd be willing to be there isn't a single core forum member who could not find something to like in my collection no matter how far off the beaten track.  If I have an issue, it's listening to the same genre, ANY genre, for too long...which is arbitrary, admittedly. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Now, we need the Klipsch faithful that unlike us, haven't A/Bd Jubs against Corner Horns to experience what they have been missing out on

Roger, I've heard both in the same room, with the same amps, same acoustics, same music, etc, etc.  and to tell you the truth, I much preferred the Khorns.  To me, they presented a much more engaging listening experience, filled the room with warmth and character, whereas the Jubs, although remarkably clear, just sounded somewhat....clinical and sterile.  JMHO of course, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Jim,

I have as well and that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it but I disagree with that assessment.

Roger

The Crystal Clear organ recording is considered to be one of, if not, the finest technical analog direct cut disc of all time.

• I take it you are talking about 1 specific disk from Crystal Clear, right?  Was it organ alone, or organ and orchestra?  One of my favorite recordings is Crystal Clear's organ/orch one named something like "Sonic Fireworks," containing "Fanfare for the Common Man," "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (the first few minutes) and several others?   I keep thinking that since it was that good back then, why aren't today's standards higher?
  • In the '60s, Dynaco made very good tube amps that sounded better than they measured (at least in terms of harmonic distortion).  The people running the traveling McIntosh Clinic would test any amp you brought into the host store, and would point at the rise in harmonic distortion at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum on my Dynaco Mark IVs (two mono 40 watt amps), and say something like, "You can hear that!."  But they sounded warm and clean, and about as good as McIntosh amps through the JBLs I had at the time.  BTW, the graphs they ran for the McIntosh tube amps had less than 0.1 %, 20 to 20K (very good for those days).  Mac had a slogan: "When will solid state amplifiers sound as good as tube amplifiers?  When McIntosh makes them!"
Edited by garyrc

As was already mentioned, the NOSValves pre and VRDs were set up first on Friday and were used for quite a while, and that set up sounded very good IMO.  Not sure exactly what time it was, but the change was made to the Scott 130 preamp and the three Dynaco amps Friday evening so that the center channel Cornwall could be brought into the mix.

I think the venue and the nature of the event (lots of people enjoying the music) made it difficult to switch around gear and do A/B comparisons. Saturday morning would have been the best time to do this kind of activity (suggestion for next years agenda?).  I personally would have welcomed sampling of various setups (this pre with that amp, etc).  BTW, I brought and set up a speaker selector just so we could switch out gear easily.

I thought Roger's Nakamichi amps sounded very good running on Audiodad's Scott 130.  They did not seem to match up as well with the NOSValves preamp.

Now to answer Jim's original questions regarding the Dynacos.  On Friday night and on Saturday afternoon, the right and left amps were Audiodad's Dynaco MKIII amps (the center channel Dynaco was a NOSValves rebuild).  The right and left amps used Saturday night were my Dynaco MKIII amps (those were the amps with the cages still on).  The input board design uses two 6DJ8 tubes on both sets of amps. Audiodad's have KT88 output tubes; my amps have 6550 output tubes. PM me if you want more specifics on the mods that were done.

I had not planned to use my amps in Hope.  Audiodad had been borrowing them for several months while his were being modded.  He returned them to me at the Gathering.  For one reason or another, they ended up being used also.

Thanks for that info.  I would agree that next year that we do a little more planning around systems, etc.  I really appreciate all of the effort everyone took to bring their gear to the event.

Carl and I have already discussed the need for at least defining more of an agenda (whether or not people follow it) so that we're not left sitting around wondering which location people are filtering out towards or when XYZ thing we discussed will be taking place.

• Like 1