Why so many NJ teachers are retiring......

tube fanatic

I think I'm ready, now, to write my new novel, Lord of the Fleas. The tone copies A Confederacy of Dunces, and its stream of consciousness mimics The Sound and the Fury. ;)

SSH

I've really got to read some more Faulkner. As I Lay Dying was just not the best place to start.

I loved it.  I built it on the bevel!

I think I can see through the "man is evil" school. It really means, "you are evil, I am good."

Well I only speak for myself, not for anyone else you’ve encountered in life; but, what I mean is “I am evil - You are evil, and we’re equally so."

Now that doesn’t mean that we go about life doing only evil things; but, our natural inclination is to serve ourselves. As I said earlier, i consider selfishness of form of evil.  We evil people are capable of doing good things; but, even then we’re often using selfish motives (praise from others, popularity, guilty consciences, etc.)  Our deeds would be “good” for the beneficiary; however, I say our selfish motive tarnished them.  How can I then pat myself on the back?

Well, just wait a second...

Adam Smith?  Wasn't he the "Greed is good" guy?

The point he was making is your intentions might not be honorable and could even be downright evil.  But in the free market (not just commerce, but the market of friendships, courtship, and so on...), those intentions produce results that are good for society.  When the end result is good, how can it be evil?

It seems that really, people in your camp might be suffering a guilty complex.    ;)

Jeff you went for the capitalism argument when I laid off.  Remember when Smith was writing though.  Slavery was part of his economic reality, either in the form of actual slavery, indentured servitude, or downright work force oppression.  How good were the results for them?  How evil were the perpetrators eating high on the hog?  How ultimately was the good to society (meaning everyone not just the fortunate)?  At the time Jonathan Swift and William Hogarth did a brilliant job of exposing the flip side.

Edited by oldtimer

So we’re killing baby hitler?  War is evil and i agree; but, it has also ended other evils.  

To answer your question, we’d have to get into how we differentiate between good and evil and then the forum the police up.

Guilt complex -- sure.  Wanting to be altruistic; but, knowing that I’m not. I won’t tell you that i did it for selfish gain or conceit -- i don’t want to ruin the party. So even though i’m disappointed in myself -- you should still like me.   :)

Honesty, i’m just a guy stumbling through life.

Jeff you went for the capitalism argument when I laid off.  Remember when Smith was writing though.  Slavery was part of his economic reality, either in the form of actual slavery, indentured servitude, or downright work force oppression.  How good were the results for them?  How evil were the perpetrators eating high on the hog?  How ultimately was the good to society (meaning everyone not just the fortunate)?  At the time Jonathan Swift and William Hogarth did a brilliant job of exposing the flip side.

I am not sure if his ideas aren't "living and breathing" ideas, much like our Constitution.  Today, would we consider the absence of slavery an un-free market?  I think he might have been talking about the results obtained from free and unfettered trade, subject to whatever society considers as necessary or desired regulations.  Of course, it is within those where all the arguments are made.

Guilt complex -- sure.  Wanting to be altruistic; but, knowing that I’m not. I won’t tell you that i did it for selfish gain or conceit -- i don’t want to ruin the party. So even though i’m disappointed in myself -- you should still like me.  

Why not?  I doubt there is anybody decent out there who is not in the same boat.

Guilt complex -- sure.  Wanting to be altruistic; but, knowing that I’m not. I won’t tell you that i did it for selfish gain or conceit -- i don’t want to ruin the party. So even though i’m disappointed in myself -- you should still like me.  

Why not?  I doubt there is anybody decent out there who is not in the same boat.

oh i agree; but, some people think they’re in a better boat.

I am not sure if his ideas aren't "living and breathing" ideas, much like our Constitution.  Today, would we consider the absence of slavery an un-free market?  I think he might have been talking about the results obtained from free and unfettered trade, subject to whatever society considers as necessary or desired regulations.  Of course, it is within those where all the arguments are made.

Yes like any philosopher his ideas are worthy of examination.  I don't think he was talking about having regulations at all.  That was kind of his basis was it not?

oh i agree; but, some people think they’re in a better boat.

And for all I know, by the grace of God, they just might be.  I envy them if they are.

Many people are, and that's why they choose what they do.  Look at the thread for car buying tips.  Everybody had a car to pitch.  "Mine."  "No, mine."  "No, mine." It's just the way we are wired.  If we can get people to copy us, it's a re-affirmation that we are on the right paths.  That's all we do is sell ourselves in one way or another.

• Like 1

I don't think he was talking about having regulations at all.  That was kind of his basis was it not?

I think he recognized that all societies will have regulations, and I think that his general approach was not intended to serve as an argument for anarchy.  I could be wrong, though.  I have just never heard anyone claim he was making the case for anarchy (not that you are, either).

But do you punish yourself? I don't.

Of course I do.  I would consider the deep regrets (relationships, health, professional) that still haunt me--ones that “I” keep alive a form of punishment. I will concede that I don’t do it with the intent of punishing myself; but, i guess subconsciously I am.  

Edited by BigStewMan

ok - so does anyone know why so many NJ teachers are retiring - I 'll tell you why - they want to get out while they still can -and enjoy the benefits that come with a good pension plan before it get's cut -

• Moderators

Recently, a highly regarded 4th grade teacher with around 40 years experience told her class that the tooth fairy isn't real and that it is actually the parents/grandparents who leave the money under the pillow. Well, a girl went home and told this to her mother who was outraged because she has always told her kids that the tooth fairy is real. The mother then went on social media sites and bashed the teacher for destroying her child's belief system, contacted the school administration to demand an apology, and went to the newspapers with her story. I'm confident that a law suit will follow (NJ has so many frivolous law suits that it's a joke, except for those who have to pay since juries here award damages as if they are candy). What is wrong with these people? Of course, these same parents are usually the ones who, on a gorgeous sunny 75 degree day, drive their kids the 100 feet to the bus stop so their precious little ones don't have to be exposed to the elements or interact with other kids. Sorry for the rant. I'll leave now............

Maynard

Now remember that my mother is a retired 1st grade teacher with her doctorate in education and a masters in guidance counseling and my father is a retired school superintendent of the second highest operating budget double AA School system in the state at the time and past president of the County board of education.

Roger

Roger,

In my book, people like your parents are the real heros of this country. I wonder what their view would be on issues like charter schools, vouchers, mamdatory minimum skills assessment tests, etc. I wonder is they have differing views on some of these issues, on being an administrator, one being a teacher?

Travis

• Moderators

i'm struggling to see how you draw a line from exposing the tooth fairy to covering up sexual abuse. I do have a line, and it's not at the tooth fairy.

We're going to be home schooling, so i guess it's a non-issue for me.

This study by the Peabody Institue and the associated book it generated should be of interest and encouragement to you on home schooling.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2012/11/homeschooling/

• Moderators

ok - so does anyone know why so many NJ teachers are retiring - I 'll tell you why - they want to get out while they still can -and enjoy the benefits that come with a good pension plan before it get's cut -

I think you are right. But it may be too late. Their pension plan is seriously under funded.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/03/01/should-the-state-offload-teacher-retirement-benefits-onto-local-school-districts/