Am I Crazy? (keep it on topic)

I started to notice some degraded sound coming out of the Raspberry Pi.. i think it's because I was using USB for my dac, which is on the same circuit as network traffic, vs. the isolated i2s output.

So I'm looking at the Cambridge Audio CXN: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxn

it supports DLNA, Spotify, Apple Airplay, USB, etc and can also function as a preamp. iPad control (very slick app)

But then there's also the Denon 4520ci: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avr4520ci

it also supports DLNA, Spotify, Apple Airplay, USB, etc and can function as a preamp. iPad control (not as slick app).

The Denon, however, also adds features that could be useful for room EQ, additional connectivity, and built in solid state amps if I ever want to crank something louder than my tube amp can handle.

I'm leaning towards the Denon. Your thoughts, as it pertains to using each device as a music streamer/preamp?

It's probably just my bad luck or an isolated case but my Azur amp from Cambridge Audio needed two warranty repairs in less than a year of minimal use.  I replaced it with a Japanese made Marantz integrated amp (awesome).  The Cambridge stuff is Chinese made.  It's in storage in it's original box in my basement.

• Like 1

It's probably just my bad luck or an isolated case but my Azur amp from Cambridge Audio needed two warranty repairs in less than a year of minimal use. The Cambridge stuff is Chinese made.

True it could be isolated but I too have had a couple of issues with a CA amp.  On the other hand, I have owned three CA 840C CD player/DACs, two Dacmagics, one 751BD player with never an issue as well as the 540A v2 that I sold to Rivernuggets.

All my NAD gear is Chinese made with never a problem.

Bill

Edited by willland

Guest Steven1963

Am I Crazy? (keep it on topic)

...there's a lot of material here, but since I have to keep it on topic, I got nuthin.

I started to notice some degraded sound coming out of the Raspberry Pi.

Well first of all it's strawberry, not raspberry season. Raspberry season is usually late in September when tired major league arms start blowing saves and lead to unrest in the stands amongst the hometown crowd.

What the hell is an uploading improver, or whatever they call it, anyway.  I thought all these streaming sites weren't putting out mp3's but the real deal. If so how you upsample/improve on a digital release from the original source.  Seems really goofy to me.

Go spin a platter. Before not to long you will find your head bouncing along with the music, which is the only movement you usually have left after they strap you into the straight jacket.

Ask me how I know?

(Silly youngsters, ounce of knowledge, ton of stupid, mutter, mutter...)

• Like 2

What the hell is an uploading improver, or whatever they call it, anyway.  I thought all these streaming sites weren't putting out mp3's but the real deal. If so how you upsample/improve on a digital release from the original source.  Seems really goofy to me.

I'm streaming lossless audio from my network attached storage. no MP3's in my system.

turntables are too finicky and require too much storage footprint for my space. 

I'm streaming lossless audio from my network attached storage. no MP3's in my system.

If it's already lossless, ie bit-for-bit, what is the point of upsampling? I thought upsampling was to reduce jjjjjjjjjitter or bug in cd, not internet, playback.  In other words to address mechanical stability playbackproblems.

Of course I could be wrong and probably am.

If it's already lossless, ie bit-for-bit, what is the point of upsampling? I thought upsampling was to reduce jjjjjjjjjitter or bug in cd, not internet, playback.  In other words to address mechanical stability playbackproblems.

Of course I could be wrong and probably am.

it wasn't clicking that you were talking about the 384million bit up-sampling blah blah..

I agree with you there and it's one reason I've always avoided the cambridge audio stuff, but the rest of the features are compelling enough to just live with it.

it wasn't clicking that you were talking about the 384million bit up-sampling blah blah..   I agree with you there and it's one reason I've always avoided the cambridge audio stuff, but the rest of the features are compelling enough to just live with it.

Funny you say that, when I listen to CD's(16/44.1K) with my CA 840C, I don't prefer the upsampling to 24/384K but with Pandora(16/48K), I think it sounds better upsampled to 24/384K. 

Bill