Altec Onkens Big Boy Speakers

texas42

Well, never thought I would sell these but since I have two other pair of large speakers (KHorns and Polk LSiM 707s) and no one seems to want the Polks, I will offer up my one of a kind hand built Altec Speakers customized to an Onken design cabinet.  Speakers were built for me by WPM Speaker Design in San Antonio.  Here is some additional info:

Horns:  Altec 511B's, 500hz type.  New powder coating.

Crossovers:  Altec N501-8B, very rare, made only one year and for only one pair of loudspeakers; VOTT  A-7 500's.  

Woofers:  Dayton Audio PA380-8 Pro Bass Horn drivers, spec'd very closely to the original Altec 416-8C, which were used exclusively in the Altec A-7 VOTT's. 

Wiring:  12-gauge flat braided OFC.

Cabinet:  Onken 360L, designed in Japan but perfected by the French engineer Jean Hiragas.  The Onken 360L is a vented design, but is similar to a folded horn in efficiency.  The cabinet is renown for its low frequency speed and definition.  The cabinet was constructed using 1-inch China Birch plywood, and has been screwed, glued, internally braced, and finished in walnut veneer with 5-coats of hand rubbed satin polyurethane.

I really hate to see these go (and will keep them if I sell my Polks first).  These are gorgeous speakers and in mint condition. Less than a year old in fact.  Note in the pictures they are actually sitting on floor dollies so I can move them better as these are extremely solid and heavy.  They have large feet and will couple to the floor nicely.  How do they sound?  In a word---Stunning!!  Very fast (as only big horns are), dynamic and tremendous bass.  They actually sound a lot like my modded Khorns in my living room but with better, deeper bass.  Due to their size and weight, I will not ship these.  They are available for audition and purchase in San Antonio (actually I'm north of San Antonio about 20 miles).  You would need to bring a large vehicle and help to move these as they are quite massive and heavy.

I'm also selling a pair of Quicksilver Audio Mini Mite Tube Monoblocks that really work well with the speakers. If you buy both speakers and amps, I will deduct $200.

Price of the speakers are $2750 (and they absolutely shred most $10,000 speakers I've owned and/or listened to).  The price of parts and to have these built is far more than my asking price. 

Quicksilver amps are $750. 

Email if you have any questions and I can send additional pics.

• Like 2

Quality Build, The Big Boy club, you are there.

Hope someone knows what they are looking at.

Pizzing off the neighbors is one thing, pizzing them off with Quality is another.

Sorry you have the need to sell. good luck with sale, will bump when i see this.

Mark

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

I had the good fortune to hear these and they are supurb. I can'take believe you're selling these.

Many of you know I'm a horn guy and what great horns these are. I have always wanted to hear large onken cabs and these did not disappoint. Lots of nice tight bass that transitions smoothly to the horn. Like the man said, these are fast. They have excellent imaging and a huge soundstage. I would buy them but already have a couple pair of huge floor standing horn speakers. If you are in driving distance, you owe it go yourself to audition these.

Yeah, I know I will regret it but I can barely move in my audio room with all the speakers I have already.  The Polks I am selling are incredible as well and also mint so I will be happy either way with what is left and think I will late fate decide.  We'll see which sells first.

*Bump* and price drop.  For Klipsch Forum members, I will drop this to a flat $2500.  These are mint and ready to provide someone a lifetime of listening pleasure.  Must pick up though (bring a large vehicle and a strong friend). :-)

Well, was able to sell my other big speakers (Polk LSiM 707s) so I can proudly say these are no longer for sale!  :-). Didn't have room for both and these are really everything I want in a speaker.  I think I will enjoy these a long time.  They sound a lot like my modded K-Horns.  As good as it gets!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, hate to be fickle, but recent events have me putting these back up for sale.  Email if interested.  These are extremely well built and heavy but I am positive if you listen to them you will want to take them home.  Tremendously revealing and dynamic.

• Like 1

Well, hate to be fickle, but recent events have me putting these back up for sale.  Email if interested.  These are extremely well built and heavy but I am positive if you listen to them you will want to take them home.  Tremendously revealing and dynamic.

Where exactly are you located? These are beautiful.

- Woody