Ratty La Scalas - but right price!

prerich

That is WAY too high for cabinets in that condition.  Max I would pay would be $300, if all the drivers worked.

The drivers and horns are worth over that alone....I think $550 is decent when the present going rate is anywhere from $1200 for decent ones - upwards to $4000 for mint. Put some elbow grease to those puppies and someone could have the last set of speakers they would ever buy.  

I kinda call the Heritage line a lifetime line - because sometimes...they will out live you. 

That is WAY too high for cabinets in that condition.  Max I would pay would be $300, if all the drivers worked.

The drivers and horns are worth over that alone....I think $550 is decent when the present going rate is anywhere from $1200 for decent ones - upwards to $4000 for mint. Put some elbow grease to those puppies and someone could have the last set of speakers they would ever buy.  

I kinda call the Heritage line a lifetime line - because sometimes...they will out live you. 

Not quite sure what part of the country you're in, that may be the going rate but around here, that's WAY too high.  You might get 400 for a pair of beaters like that around here and I've only seen perfect LS II's command 4k.  1500 will buy a beautiful pair of Lascalas.

• Like 1

Kinda like being in love with a ugly person.  When all the lights are out, they all look the same.

Nope, not for me.  Wouldn't drive across the street for them.

Edited by Taz

Not quite sure what part of the country you're in, that may be the going rate but around here, that's WAY too high.  You might get 400 for a pair of beaters like that around here and I've only seen perfect LS II's command 4k.  1500 will buy a beautiful pair of Lascalas.

Well, down in NW Florida they are rare to come by. There's a pair of beautiful ones in Mobile AL that have been sitting. He initially wanted $1650, then $1600, now he's at $1500.  La Scalas in J'ville are commanding $1000 a pair in beat up condition.  I think the further out west you go (west of the Mississippi) or for Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Miami) the better the prices. That's why I jumped on that Vertical Cornwall - I knew I'd never see a price like that near me (shipping it almost cost more than the speaker did). 

I checked Ebay Completed Listings.  There was a pair SOLD for $1750 (MO), another pair for $1500 (FL).  Those were the two highest prices, but I just skimmed the recent few sales.

Ebay ASKING prices? 

I saw $4899, $4495, and for the delightful asking price of only $7,952 AND 61 cents, a new single "Klipsch La Scala II Three-Way Horn-Loaded Loudspeaker Subwoofer and 2-Inch Com."

Whatever the heck a "Loudspeaker Subwoofer" is.    :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

As many others here can attest, the hours and materials needed to rehab a pair in that condition far outweighs even the asking price.  La Scala's are not just a box like Cornwall's or Heresy's.  Plus, considering the condition they are in, how likely is it that all of the drivers are working well, don't need new diaphragms and/or gaskets, reconing, updated crossovers, etc, etc.  La Scala's in good to excellent shape are not particularly easy to find, no matter where you live, it just takes a little patience and a focused search.

I checked Ebay Completed Listings.  There was a pair SOLD for $1750 (MO), another pair for $1500 (FL).  Those were the two highest prices, but I just skimmed the recent few sales.

Ebay ASKING prices? 

I saw $4899, $4495, and for the delightful asking price of only $7,952 AND 61 cents, a new single "Klipsch La Scala II Three-Way Horn-Loaded Loudspeaker Subwoofer and 2-Inch Com."

Whatever the heck a "Loudspeaker Subwoofer" is.    :rolleyes:

That is a very bizarre listing....a built in subwoofer!!  And a Klipschorn like performance!!  OK, whatever....

As many others here can attest, the hours and materials needed to rehab a pair in that condition far outweighs even the asking price.  La Scala's are not just a box like Cornwall's or Heresy's.  Plus, considering the condition they are in, how likely is it that all of the drivers are working well, don't need new diaphragms and/or gaskets, reconing, updated crossovers, etc, etc.  La Scala's in good to excellent shape are not particularly easy to find, no matter where you live, it just takes a little patience and a focused search.

It' seems like I see good La Scalas at decent prices everywhere....but here, but now I'm a happy camper!!!! My Cornwall Vert will be here tomorrow!!!!! 

Edited by prerich
  • Like 2

I've found that availability of Heritage speakers no matter which ones seems to be pretty cyclical....so again, I've had to learn that patience is a virtue with this....

Yay on your Cornwall Vert!!  Would like to see a few photo's....

• Like 1