How well can you hear...

Schu

without the arbitrary test they offer I can tell you I hear a difference between compressed and Lossless, its not so much the loss of information it is the dryness of the presentation

took the test and I got 4 out of the 6  correct

IME compressed sounds drier and edgier

I thought this was more of a freq range when I clicked on it and for me that appears to be down to 15hz and as high as 15.5 Khz according to test tones I Have

Edited by joessportster

Poorly and I know it. I don't need another "test" to tell me just how poorly I hear.

The fact that I DO hear so poorly is the reason I scaled back my primary music delivery system from a big $$ tube kit driving heavily modified La Scalas to a very pedestrian Pioneer receiver driving a pair of Heresys. If I can't hear the difference there's no reason to pay for the difference.

I truly envy those who can hear well. There was a time when I did. That time is long passed.

They should have included a close mic violin or cello solo, for the texture, and at least one highly dynamic selection.  Most of the examples did not use a type of music I'm used to hearing (I listen to classical, vintage jazz, and Blu-ray movies).

Most of the samples sounded pretty bad over my computer with its stock sound card, through my main system.

Edited by garyrc

I picked the 320 mp3 version.  Most of my mp3's are 256 or better and sometimes comparing it to my HD Tracks Hi Def file, I can't really tell a difference.  So, buying mp3's that are high quality is not a problem for me.  I believe that Hi Def and mp3's will do about 50/50 in blind test and most of people can't tell the difference with enough consistency, including audiophiles.  I like mp3's because they don't eat of a lot of disk for a difference I can't hear consistently.

Well i know as one gains in age, hearing for many reasons starts to fade a tad.

Being of an engineering mind for quite some time, i feel for myself, this is one problem that i will not have.

For me, I solved this by simply thinking as one grows older, the speaker(s) should get bigger. and of course the Amp(s) must follow.

I mean lets face it, when you get older you cannot lift Chit, i get assistance when lifting 150Lbs+,might as well have some bad azz speakers, mine currently weighing in at 500+ each stack. mid june makes this one year current system, time to Upgrade, thanx for reminding me :emotion-21:

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

l like to think I've got a pretty good ear, and I played it on the computer, with Klipsch CF-4 and a 15" sub, at moderate to light loudness.  I got 2 out of 6.

I may turn off the sub and try it again.

Edited by wvu80