Time for an Upgrade

Seakbox

Hi Everyone,

New here, in fact first post.

I have been a klipsch Heresy owner for over 37 years had them paired with an SAE system, but the SAE finally died. I recently purchased a McIntosh MA5200 and absolutely love it.The intergraded amp drives my Heresys just fine. but I was thinking that it would be nice to upgrade to maybe to a pair of La Scala. My problem is that my music room isn't very big. Would this be overkill. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  Most of us wish our wives were pushing our audio upgrades.  Sometimes I have to makeup some silly story on why things won't sound right unless I buy this new audio things.  She usually says OK but, I don't think she believes me, lol. :unsure:

• Like 3

I just came across a pair of Chorus speakers on the web the guy wants $649 for them and the pictures look like they are in very good shape the tags are intact thik they are from 1989, I think that make them II's, what did they go for new?

post-61313-0-53260000-1433703454_thumb.j

post-61313-0-47700000-1433703479.jpg

Edited by Seakbox

I just came across a pair of Chorus speakers on the web the guy wants $649 for them and the pictures look like they are in very good shape the tags are intact thik they are from 1989, I think that make them II's, what did they go for new?

For that kind of scratch you could get a pair of beater Scalas.

I was looking at them last week....if that was the set in D.C. the listing is gone... But hey there is a set of K horns that just got posted in Baltimore 6 days ago...they look nice I think there $1500

Good luck.....and yea welcome to the forum

MKP :-)

• Like 1

I think if they are in great shape, nice grill and need no work, the price might not be that bad.  Refinishing a speaker cost in time and supplies.  The Chorus I's sound great.  The Chorus may be a little more friendly as far as speaker placement.

• Like 1

I was looking at them last week....if that was the set in D.C. the listing is gone... But hey there is a set of K horns that just got posted in Baltimore 6 days ago...they look nice I think there $1500

Good luck.....and yea welcome to the forum

Well looking at the ad again it says $1500 on the listing....but when you read the ad it says $2000 firm???? ahhhh make up your mind....

Those are definitely Chorus I's, looks like Walnut finish. They would be a nice step up from the Heresy. If they're in very nice condition I'd have no problem paying $650 for them as I believe they're worth every penny. That's a whole lot of speaker in a much smaller footprint than the La Scala.

I recommend holding out for a nice pair of LaScalas - there is no substitute for horn loaded bass and the larger midrange horn. However, you will have to address the crossovers, which will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

The Chorus II has a Tractrix midrange horn and a passive radiator, which extends the bass response. If you can't find LaScalas, try to find some Chorus IIs.

RF-7's, RF-83's, and RF-7II's sound nice too.

Edited by Crankysoldermeister

You will both be amazed at how well the Lascalla's will fill your home with full rich sound once you get them dialed in. Ours are in our finished basement with floor registers in every room for heat transfer. When the system is playing we both comment most everytime how amazing the sound is. Good Luck