Holy mother of God, I just hooked up the Scott!

Mike Lindsey

Well, the Scott 299 came today about 2:30 in the afternoon. It was sitting on the doorstep when I got back from getting my ears flushed. That's right, I knew it was coming and wanted to be at my best. For those of you with lots of wax buildup, I highly recommend this. I get it done every year.

Anyway, Craig did a great job packing it back up (double boxed, just the way he received it) and it took darn near 20 minutes to unpack it and get the tubes back in. He labeled each of the tubes, as well as their location on the chasis, which made it easy to put it all back together. I plugged it in and let it warm up for 30 minutes, and then put in Dreamboat Annie by Heart, one of my albums I use for reference. Before I go any further, the only source I was using was my Dual CS-5000 turntable with Shure V15V-MR with a new stylus. The speakers are 1986 La Scala's with the AL networks (ALK's are on the way).

With nothing playing, I turned up the volume to see if it hums, and it was noticeable right around 5. I thought that's not good, but decided to drop the needle anyway to see how loud that was. I turned up the volume, from 1, to 2, then 3, now 4 - it's starting to get pretty loud now... now 5, just a little more... to 5 and a half (it was really loud now) and I sat on the couch and checked the SPL meter. It was registering 102 - 106db with peaks of 110. Holy smokes! It was clear as a bell too with no distortion!

After turning it back to about 4.5 (around 90 - 95db), I sat and listened to this album that I am very familiar with. All I can say is WOW! This is better than I was expecting that's for sure. It sounded a little bright to me but it was probably due to the fact that I just got all the wax removed from my ears. Smile.gif

To start with, the mids and highs are breathtaking. Very smooth and crisp (especially the highs). Lots of air around the voices and instruments. The bass is deep, full and tight. I know the La Scala's get a bad rap here, but mine extend all the way down to 40hz at -4db. The soundstage is much wider than my SS system, extending well outside the speakers. It images much better as well, although that has never been important to me.

I know these are very vague statements, and subjective, but without a doubt, it is head and shoulders better than my SS setup. I'm just not very good at explaining what I'm hearing.

I am now listening to a half-speed mastered version of Supertramp's Crime of the Century. I have never heard a better piano than the one on the title track. Unbelievable!

Suffice it to say, I am very happy with this amp. I cant thank Craig (NOS440) enough for all he did for me. It is night and day from when I sent it out to him. I really owe you Craig.

I will listen to it for a couple of weeks and then start thinking about upgrading the 12AX7's. That's about the time I will get the Rega Planet as well. I will report back then with my thoughts on both.

BTW, I never knew vinyl could sound so good. I'm hoping Q-Man can come by in the near future and give you some feedback as well. Well, it's time to put on Al Dimeola's Elegant Gypsy. It don't get much better than that! Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I'm glad your happy !!! I'm concerned with your hum though maybe its the difference in are speakers I had absolutely zero hum at 100% volume here on my heresy's with your amp but did have a fuzzy sound above 7 or so. Is this a hum your hearing or is more of a fuzzing static type sound ?? If its the later then that is normal for a sensitive vintage phono section (or newer solid state for that matter). I guess with speaker that are 8db more efficeint you would hear it on yours before I would.

If this is indeed a hum when you get done listening unhook your turn table inputs and see if the hum is still there. Also see if the hum is there using Tape or tuner inputs.

Well at least this confirms what I've been saying all along these Scott kick butt when everything is electrically right on !!

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Can't explain what you are hearing?????

I think the thread title said it all...certainly got my attention.

Just shipped my ST-70 to Frank Van Alstine today for rebuild. Don't expect as much as you got for it, but looking forward to it nonetheless. I've been lugging that thing around for 30 years.

Dave

The word Mobile uses for the soundstaging of tube gear is "bloom". It's a good descriptor.

I believe this effect is much more noticable with horns. When I had the DQ-10's hooked up to the Superamp, it was rather disappointing. I know Jon Dahlquist ran his with tubes, but I bet it was more than 35 wattscwm13.gif

I could probably tolerate Scala's with a tube ampcwm11.gif

Enjoy!

Mike,

Congratulations. I think you expressed just what you're hearing and feeling. You even moved ole' deang to say something nice about horns.

quote:

I could probably tolerate Scala's with a tube amp

I'm just kidding Dean, but maybe there is a pair of horns in your future. You already have the tubes.

Klipsch out.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just got back home and plan on giving it a nice workout this morning. I only had a couple of hours to demo it yesterday but will work it for 6 to 8 today.

Regarding the hum, I would say it's more like a fuzzing static type sound. It starts at 5 on the first 3 settings, and is dead silent on tape and tuner. I have the TT plugged into Phono 1 and the selector setting all the way to the left (Eur 78). It sounds very similar in setting 2 (RIAA NARTB Ortho) but nowhere near as good in the 3rd setting (NARTB Tape).

I will go ahead and disconnect the TT from the Phono 1 input and see if it's still there.

Edit: I just did this and the static noise is still there on all 3 settings, right around 5 on the volume.

Later, I will try running my AES PH-1 (with all NOS tubes) into the Tape input and see which I prefer. If I prefer the Scott, the AES will be on Audiogon tomorrow. Smile.gif

I would really like to hear what this can sound like with a Mullard 5AR4 rectifier, and Mullards or Telefunken's in the preamp stages (12AX7's). That will be a little ways down the road but I think it's a done deal.

The last thing is the speaker wire. I am currently using plain old Monster 12ga and I think it can be improved upon. I need something that is flexible (bends) and has small spade lugs on both ends. Not sure what I'll get but suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-14-2002 at 07:51 AM

Mike,

Okay if its indeed just a static sound don't worry about it ! all is well and your extra 8db speakers just pick it up earlier. This sound should be similar to being between stations on a FM tuner.

You should be using the center 2nd phono setting RIAA NARTB Ortho . If I read what you type right your saying that 3rd setting (NARTB Tape) sounds the best ?? this should not be !! This should sound muffled compared to the other settings or are you saying it has less of the static sound which would be correct. The 1st setting Eur 78 isn't much different than the 2nd but will be slightly brighter in the highs.

The GE 12AX7's sounded bright to me hear so when you pick up some mullards or Telefunkens you should have it tame down some. Even with Telefunkens on my Heresy's I sometimes turn the treble down 1 db for some recordings but my room is overly bright acoustically speaking.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 08-14-2002 at 08:35 AM

I sure hate to see the "wire" can-of-worms open up again, but I have been VERY pleased with Nordost Blue Heaven speaker wire. It is very flexible and has added an element I would describe as "clarity" to my system since I intsalled it a few months back. I may have indeed "brightened" up the sound, but for the better. I think it has added some needed clarity to the warmth of vinyl/tubes/horns that is beneficial.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:

Originally posted by NOS440:

You should be using the center 2nd phono setting RIAA NARTB Ortho . If I read what you type right your saying that 3rd setting (NARTB Tape) sounds the best ?? this should not be !! This should sound muffled compared to the other settings or are you saying it has less of the static sound which would be correct. The 1st setting Eur 78 isn't much different than the 2nd but we be slightly brighter in the highs.

Craig

I had it in the first setting (Eur 78) and you are right, it is slightly brighter than the 2nd (RIAA NARTB Ortho) setting. The 3rd setting (NARTB Tape) is definitely muffled. As for the static sound, all 3 of these settings pick up the noise right around 5 on the volume control... which is right around 100db, plenty loud enough for me. Smile.gif

Mike

Edit: Just to make sure I'm reading you right, I have the TT coneected to the Phono 1 Setting on the back of the chassis, and NOT Phono 2. The switches Channel A Pickup and Channel B Pickup are set to 1 (and not 2) on the front faceplate.

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-14-2002 at 02:12 PM

Allan,

Thanks for the rec of the Nordost Blue Heaven. I will look into it and see if it's affordable. Smile.gif

I'm also considering the DIYcable Twisted Cross but don't want to have to make it. I would prefer to find it already assembled, but you don't see it too often for sale...

Mike

Well... after spending the last hour comparing the AES PH-1 (plugged into the Tape input) with the internal phono stage in the Scott, I only have one question. Who wants to buy a mint condition AES PH-1? Smile.gif

I find the static noise (hum) to come on at the same volume (around 5) using the PH-1 in the Tape input as it is using the Scott's phono. The difference is the Scott is about 8 - 10db louder at the same volume. I'm not sure, but maybe the PH-1 doesn't have as much gain as the Scott.

Other than the loudness, they are very close but I think I prefer the Scott sound. I seem to hear more separation with it and can focus on one instrument more easily.

This is pretty disappointing, since I just purchased some NOS tubes for the PH-1 (Mullard 12AU7 CV4003 box plate and a pair of matched Sylvania Platinum 6SL7GT's from 1952). These cost more than the Scott amp did.

I will list it on Audiogon when I get some pictures and will price it at $350, which is what I paid for it. This will come with a Jan Philips 5814A and a pair of Jan Philips 6SL7GT's. I will throw in the NOS tubes (with less than 10 hours on them) for another $120. It is a factory manufactured unit which comes with Audio 1 Oil Coupling Caps and upgraded resistors...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-14-2002 at 01:35 PM

Congrats Mike!

Thanks for the great description. I think it was moving enough for me to move me one step closer to wanting one myself now. I have been looking on ebay more frequently. What is a reasonable price to pay for one? I understand that much depends upon condition.

What surprizes me about the new tube stuff is that most are separates, meaning amp-preamp. Much of the vintage stuff comes as integrated amp/preamp. If one considers the "shortest path" theory, it makes most sense to have the integrated system (I believe the Scott is integrated).

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434

This message has been edited by AndyKub on 08-14-2002 at 02:09 PM