For the tube guys...

I was sent a couple of funny threads from other sites.  One is about "magic" crystals improving the sound of tube amps, and the other (discussed by some European audiophiles) about whether "audiophile grade" resistors and caps are worth the money:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=tweaks&m=198727

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/276978-douk-5670-6aq5-6e2-push-pull-merge-class-ab-tube-amp-hifi-amplifier-diy-kit.html

If any of the other tube guys on here want to pursue some discussion about these subjects, I'm in!!!

Maynard

• Like 1

Maynard, I'm not a tube guy but I would enjoy reading over your shoulder as you smart guys discuss the Mystery of the Magic Crystals (wasn't Harrison Ford in that movie?) and the ALL CAPS topic.

I'd like you to tackle those one at a time, starting with Magic Crystals.  I'll admit I don't understand it, I'm skeptical of it, but I'm open minded enough to consider they may help the sound, but I'll need to be shown at least a little science on the subject before I can accept that the idea has some merit.  I can actually think of a way they may help, but it's probably a rationalization on my part.

Please remember I don't use tube gear, so if Magic Crystals is just a blatantly stupid idea, let me know that so I don't waste any of my time thinking about it and we can move on.  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

OK, not sure why this is for tube guys any more than for everyone but I bow to your preference.

Magic pebbles, resistors and caps that cost more than my car, GREAT stuff. Lets not forget I have some very special oil that I sell, made from the oil that lubs the scales on snakes. It is very rare and hard to get so I am selling it for a mere $500 a drop. That one drop though will last a life time on the bearings of your TT so it is a good value! :ph34r:  :D

• Like 1

Guest thesloth

I want to buy copious amounts of pot from these audiophools. ROFL 

Personal opinion, it's a joke. People especially audiophools are easily manipulated.

As far as quality caps and resistors. They are important but not that expensive. Just got to know the right type of capacitor and where to use it. I don't mean type in regard to who made it, I mean by composition. Datasheets will tell the rest of the story.

If you want real science with proven results in tube audio gear it's the magnetics. Transformers are the heart of a tube build.

• Like 1

Ok, look you guys, I've never given this any thought at all before, so I am approaching this naively and openly.  I am interested in hearing ALL sides before I make a judgement.  I openly admit my ignorance on the subject, so speaking to folks on both sides, convince me!  B)

+++

I'll start.

Magic Rocks:  I know amps and especially tube amps put out a lot of heat.  Anyone who has has run their car radio when they turned off the key at night know the next morning when it is cold the radio is blasting as if turned up too loud.  That's because the radio loses power as it gains heat, and a cooler car radio has more power, usually briefly.

Therefore, if a rock of some kind had the properties of a heat sink, I can see where a well placed rock on the hot spot of an amp could possibly help the amp to not lose power as it warmed up, as opposed to an amp with no heat sink. 

My argument is logical, but as we all know, logic has nothing to do with reality.  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

Guest thesloth

Tubes need to be hot to work.

They really just want people playing with rocks around expensive glass objects (tubes) in hopes you will drop one and break the tube. The joke is on anyone who tries this, especially if they drop a rock on a WE300B and break it.

Cal, the reason I addressed this to the tube guys is that it isn't easy to get a chip of rock to stay put on top of a transistor!

Sloth addressed the issue as I see it- just exotica similar to cryogenically treated tubes.  I've never found any science to support the assertions any more than I have for the magic cable trestles.  It's really very sad!

However, I showed the thread from the other site to my wife.  And, her thinking is that it's the transformer magnetic fields which mess things up (see, hanging around with me for decades has rubbed off!).  So, she devised an experiment to test this.  By using ferrous cans on top of the transformers it should be possible to eliminate any negative effects of magnetic fields.  And since I strive for a "rich and creamy" sound from my amps, the cans should contain something "rich and creamy!"  Great logic, eh?  So, I've attached a picture of our results for everyone's review.  An additional side benefit is that the contents of the cans can be eaten after a couple of hours of exposure to the heat from the tubes and power xfmrs.  I encourage others to conduct their own experiments to find the best way to "spice up the sound" of amps which seem lacking.

Maynard

post-40520-0-18700000-1436906414_thumb.j

Edited by tube fanatic
  • Like 1

Guest thesloth

Great work Maynard's Wife!!!

All you have to do is put your own exotic label on the cans and sell them for $295 a pop in the  "budget tweaks" department.

"For The Tube Guys"  ,, Yes I heard some one call my name... Got ta love the snake oil :rolleyes:   but I do think many of us agree different caps can change the sound, they just dont have to be triple price to produce what we want to hear. Some of out favorite forum builders recommend the very inexpensive caps.

Sorry for the highlighted text-I cant get it off , I am such a clutz with the puters,,lol.

• Like 1

Tarheal, UH, SURE it will!

About paypal though, I am afraid that the only payments I can make arrangements for is an in person pick up, cash, down a dark alley at night in a rain storm with thunder and wearing full head to toe rain suits with only eye slits :o

Edited by Cal Blacksmith
  • Like 2

Maynard, I'm not a tube guy but I would enjoy reading over your shoulder as you smart guys discuss the Mystery of the Magic Crystals (wasn't Harrison Ford in that movie?) and the ALL CAPS topic.

I'd like you to tackle those one at a time, starting with Magic Crystals.  I'll admit I don't understand it, I'm skeptical of it, but I'm open minded enough to consider they may help the sound, but I'll need to be shown at least a little science on the subject before I can accept that the idea has some merit.  I can actually think of a way they may help, but it's probably a rationalization on my part.

Please remember I don't use tube gear, so if Magic Crystals is just a blatantly stupid idea, let me know that so I don't waste any of my time thinking about it and we can move on.  B)

Doc

The magic crystals are commonly known as Meth

Mark