Rewiring drivers for Belles

bkwa1959

I'm no expert but I think the "back chamber" or "doghouse", the chamber that the back side of the woofer is in, should NOT have any damping material in it. It should be airtight though. This is a bass horn not a sealed direct radiator.

• Like 1

I am wanting to replace lamp cord type wires on Belles,is it ok to go back with push on clips to driver terminals or should I use solder.Has anyone added insulation to the bass cabinets.thanks for any information.

Solder is better - and no insulation at all in the belle bass bins -just make sure the glue is not dried uu - if it is , re-apply for a tight seal -

• Like 2

La scala II back chamber comes insulated with foam out of factory

the Scala 2 Is not made using the same wood than a Scala 1 - the  scala 2 uses MDF 1 inch in the side walls and that can resonate back to the chamber where foam is used to dampen the vibrations -

-the scala 1 is plywood 3/4 inch and that wood is not as hard - which should be the same for the Belle - adding foam would reduce the chamber size reducing the bass output  -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 1

Thanks to the members who gave advice with my questions,I have removed grills,side panels and middle and floor risers to be able to steel wool and use Howard's Restore- Finish to all cabinets,replaced trim that had pieces missing with walnut trim that and everything looks great,waiting on new crossovers from ALK.My speakers had the AB crossovers and was recommended that they be replaced,so I ordered a pair of ALK universal crossovers.I will try and post pictures when finish,crossovers are at least 4 weeks from delivery.Thanks again for everyone's help.

• Like 1