that's what i'm talking about...

Daddy Dee

A new NASA-funded study lays out a plan to return humans to the Moon

Footprints by 2021 and a permanent base by the 2030s

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/20/9003419/nasa-moon-plan-permanent-base

I'd be happy to spend some money on something which yields actual value. 

post-9889-0-78380000-1437481721_thumb.jp

Edited by Daddy Dee
  • Like 1

Ironic, funny or sad.... In 2009, NASA itself admitted to losing original footage of the historic Apollo 11 moon landing. NASA had erased the original video recordings of the first moon landing among 200,000 other tapes in order "to save money" (It has since said restored copies of the landing by using recordings from news footage at the time). Hmmmm.

Same can be said  for over 400 kilograms of Lunar Rock (brought back from several mission)... which have now gone "missing".  Russia recently announced the need for an International investigation about the 1969 moon landing & a desire for a return to the moon (now 50 years later) to verify the 1969 mission. 

Why send humans? 

This doesn't appear to be about science.  If it were, there would be a lot more instrumentation and experiments being discussed that cost a lot less to put there.

Take the recent Pluto flyby--which was a little disappointing that they couldn't orbit the planet for a while, interactively downloading images and re-tasking the spacecraft.  It takes 4 1/2 hours transit time at the speed of light, and it will take several months to download all the images from that simply flyby.  I'd rather see a lot more missions to outer planets and planetoids, since we still know very little.  Multiple landings on Europa , Titan or Io would make a lot more sense from a science standpoint, and all together would cost a lot less than putting another man on the moon (...trust me on this...). 

Perhaps it's a lot more about politics.  China? 

Chris

We can make gold from lead on earth - it's just that it's a little radioactive for a while.  ;)  Ditto for other elements and compounds.  It would be cheaper to "mine" that way, however.

Putting a manned station out there isn't my idea of a vacation spot, either.  It's an airless, low-gravity monochrome rock with a lot of dust.  Micrometeorites, low gravity (read: severe bone density loss), and high energy particles/radiation will ruin your day, especially during solar storms--which happen pretty often around these parts.

:unsure2:

Chris

OK, putting on my flame retardant suit.....Why don't we spend more money on research trying to solve the problems on this planet, rather than screwing around on the moon?  I don't begrudge what's already been done and have respect for the work done and the lives lost previously, but really, we have bigger issues to worry about right here.

• Like 1

In the early 60s my dad would take me to his work place, mostly nights/weekends, he would use take advantage of their "Watts" line. building on his future company(s).

Me, alone and with security guards knowing me well, i wondered the halls, open every unlocked door ventured from roof tops to basements, Electronics/Chemical/Astro labs and clean rooms the size walmart, fully assembled Satillites awaiting shipment.

I was one happy kid.

The things i saw, the conversations i overheard would raise the hair on your neck these days, this was 62/63 aprox.

That is is some 50+ years ago, and to this day will remain silent.

I will only state, No one has a clue as to just how advanced we really are, and can i see through the Media games played on the public, i see/know their reason(s).

The company was STL (Space Technolgy Labs) later almost late 60s the company was renamed as to it's current name TRW.

Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge and TAC were famous...especially in the application of systems engineering and system architecting.

I bet you've got some interesting stories...but don't tell them here :cool:

Chris

• Like 1

Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge and TAC were famous...especially in the application of systems engineering and system architecting.

I bet you've got some interesting stories...but don't tell them here :cool:

Chris

Simon Ramo = Nixons science advisor.......Hummmm

Take the recent Pluto flyby--which was a little disappointing that they couldn't orbit the planet for a while, interactively downloading images and re-tasking the spacecraft.  It takes 4 1/2 hours transit time at the speed of light, and it will take several months to download all the images from that simply flyby.  I'd rather see a lot more missions to outer planets and planetoids, since we still know very little.  Multiple landings on Europa , Titan or Io would make a lot more sense from a science standpoint, and all together would cost a lot less than putting another man on the moon (...trust me on this...). 

Have you learned nothing? ;)

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS—EXCEPT EUROPA / ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE

• Like 2

OK, putting on my flame retardant suit.....Why don't we spend more money on research trying to solve the problems on this planet, rather than screwing around on the moon?  I don't begrudge what's already been done and have respect for the work done and the lives lost previously, but really, we have bigger issues to worry about right here.

But, Nascar on the moon, people!!! http://gizmodo.com/google-is-hosting-nascar-on-the-moon-1687863387

digging through video archives ive been watching the 1980 pbs series COSMOS with carl sagan. half way through as of today...

1. sagan is such an impressive writer/scientist/visionary. can't think of anyone we have remotely comparable today.

2. the series now 35 years old is still spellbionding and just spectacular in every respect.

3. i get myself into that 1980 world....and then have the shock of coming awake in the 2015 world where we have done so little of worth since 1980...not enough sagans, too many generals

can't wait to watch the remaining episodes!!!!

• Like 1

Consider this a Public release:

50+ years ago im with dad in STL off campus building (huge) dad shows me a Sat ready for shipping/launch, im looking a huge telescope dad? no that is a camera for watching things on this planet. so i ask how much can it see? it can read the name on a golf ball from space, wow, early 60s.

Few years later we are driving listening to the radio, Powers is shot down over cuba, few days later the news states spy mission taking pictures, so i ask dad, why would anybody fly over someplace taking pictures when you have that thing up in space watching them?

PR son, powers bailed out before being hit, and no one knows what we have in space, we would like to keep it that way.

Side note:

Hughes Aircraft Company was a major American aerospace and defense contractor, went with dad many times, never saw howard, but i did meet Bob mayhew the #2 man.

Yet another side not:

NASA is a joke, they launch, and run the mission(s) thats it, everything has always been contracted out.

Thinking overnight about things iv not thought of for 50+ years.

So im a little harmless kid venturing around a grown up world, and dont think i did not ask questions.

Ask dad one day, so where are the UFOs ?, dad says we dont have those here.

I ask where/how do you guys think up all these neat things ?, we have thousands of thinkers and absourb technolgy where ever it comes from.

Thinking back on those two ansers dad gave me at the time, anyone else see what i see now ?

He did not disclaim UFO did not exist.

Absourb tech wherever it comes from ?     Hummmm.

Food for thought eh ?