Any one what to go lion hunting?

Travis In Austin

Regarding fishing, it can be acceptable or bad.  Some people catch fish for food.  Fine.  Others catch for sport and release them.  At least they release them alive, but I see nothing but perversion in terrorizing fish that way.  They get caught by the mouth on a hook.  They are in terror.  They are fighting for their lives, while the goof on the other end of the pole is laughing and all giddy...  "Oh, what fun it is for me!"  For once, they might consider what it's like to be on the other end of their pole, wondering if you are going to survive, and if you do, how badly you will be injured in the process. It ain't fun for the fish, folks.  Why any of you would want to do that to them is beyond my understanding.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

in human killing we have many degrees, right? it is always something to do with intent. manslaughter is not same as premeditatting murder, which is the worst because of the intent.

when man plans and pays to kill this lion for nothing but ego joy, and sick amusement, he is comiting premediated murder of the lion.

Guest Steven1963

I guess I just can't let go of this thread, especially when someone sees fit to make a distinction between a Lion 8 thousand miles away and a group of men 8 thousand miles away.

"We don't know their names because ISIS killed them." Wrong. You don't know their names because you didn't read about them anywhere. But the Lion is everywhere. Why?

I'm talking about the bigger picture here, us as a nation. I'm not looking the Klipsch community. Although if you'd like to compare us here to the nation I suppose you could: do a search for 'ISIS' in the search field here on the site. How many direct topics come back? The same number as had you done a search for 'lion.'

And don't kid yourself. The only reason we have troops over there is because OIL. Not because ISIS. We aren't that noble. THAT in and of itself justifies your only good statement: that they aren't even in the same ballpark, in that the killing of the lion was done as a 'sport' whether you agree with the sport or not. The killing of those men are the result of our Middle East policy which is completely F'd up.

Nobody here in America batted an eye? Really? Pretty sure we are launching airstrikes on these morons on a daily basis. Not to mention we still have many troops on the ground in both Afghanistan and Iraq. These two "issues" if you will, are not even in the same ballpark.

I get what he is saying, where is the outcry from the Hollywood types and the rest of the "advocates"?

Of course they are not the same thing, I get that. I am appalled at what this dentist did but I don't think his life(and livelihood)should be ruined beyond repair.

Bill

yeh. just don't see the sport in killing a lion. 

Or any other animal "for sport" as far as that goes.  It's a psychological defect, for sure.

Jeff--Thank you for your comments in this thread because they reflect my own and anyone bringing Planned Parenthood in this discussion is showing why these discussions should be kept off the main forum...Fwiw, I retired from the forum last month, but when I saw the idiocy of some of those posting on a similar thread yesterday, it made me once again I wouldn't look forward to them reaching the 5,000 post count because it's obvious "the media" has skewed any discussion targeting specific matters...

Insofar as Planned Parenthood is concerned--In my day it kept ALOT of pregnancies from happening because it catered to those that needed advice and Birth control and focusing only on 'abortion' misses the good that organization does.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

I guess I just can't let go of this thread, especially when someone sees fit to make a distinction between a Lion 8 thousand miles away and a group of men 8 thousand miles away.

"We don't know their names because ISIS killed them." Wrong. You don't know their names because you didn't read about them anywhere. But the Lion is everywhere. Why?

I'm talking about the bigger picture here, us as a nation. I'm not looking the Klipsch community. Although if you'd like to compare us here to the nation I suppose you could: do a search for 'ISIS' in the search field here on the site. How many direct topics come back? The same number as had you done a search for 'lion.'

And don't kid yourself. The only reason we have troops over there is because OIL. Not because ISIS. We aren't that noble. THAT in and of itself justifies your only good statement: that they aren't even in the same ballpark, in that the killing of the lion was done as a 'sport' whether you agree with the sport or not. The killing of those men are the result of our Middle East policy which is completely F'd up.

You have no idea about what is going on in the Middle East...Insofar as ISIS is concerned, their main enemy is in the region they are fighting and they want to take over those countries and make it one--The only reason they want the USA involved is to build support for their cause and one just needs to look at our experience in Iraq to realize why both our enemy and our Sunni Allie governments want Americans over there and it's NOT for our best interest....

If you really want to start an interesting Middle East discussion it would be prudent to bring Iran in the mix and think out of your ideological box.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

The PP subject was dead. Until you just brought it back. THANKS! If I'm the idiot you are referring to then yeah, I'll wear that label proudly.

Planned Parenthood looks to be doing some things that need to be investigated. Period. If you have a different opinion, fine. Express it. Preferably by starting another thread. I will gladly join in. This one is about a lion, which I added how ridiculous it is to have such sorrow for it while ignoring other ills that are far more important.

It is F'd up because of politics.  However, I don't use the term "politics" here negatively at all.  In this case, the politics are legitimate.  

ISIS is a scattered and networked group of people in a "movement" toward some cause.  

It's not much different than a bad cockroach infestation.  If you use acceptable weapons against the roaches. they are usually weak enough so that you won't get them all. If you want to go in with the heavy stuff to get all those roaches, you need some really powerful poison.  That kind of poison causes what we have come to call "collateral damage."  That stuff isn't legal.

In the case of trying to eradicate a bad people infestation, the same principles apply.  An effective result will require extraordinary measures and will result in some pretty bad collateral damage.  You might recall that people in the US were getting fed up with all the collateral damage we were causing over there... the killing and maiming of innocents, and all.  And if you are clearly following along this line of reasoning, you will realize that we were sick and tired of the collateral damage we were causing from a merely half-hearted effort.  Imagine how much worse it would be if there was a full-on effort.

The political support is simply not there from our populace,  We dropped the A-bombs and saw the collateral damage that is caused by using what is undeniably a very effective method.  It simply isn't going to happen again.  So, now, we are stuck with any method that is less than effective.

... and life goes on, and people on the "compassionate" side of the political aisle can cry for the loss of innocents at the hands of ISIS, while condemning the use of an effective means to bring an end to their persecutors.  

Which way do they want it?  You can't tell.  They are confused.  They are inconsistent.  They simply demand the impossible and blame our commanders and politicians for failing to deliver it.  I think expectations among this group are really out of line.  They need to accept the situation for what it is and make a logical choice.  If they choose the big guns, then, accept the carnage and collateral damage.  If they don't want collateral damage, then accept the fact that ISIS will be over there doing what they do for a long time to come, and it might get worse.

That's it.  There aren't any other choices which I can see.  So far, it appears we are choosing to live with cockroaches.

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

Nobody here in America batted an eye? Really? Pretty sure we are launching airstrikes on these morons on a daily basis. Not to mention we still have many troops on the ground in both Afghanistan and Iraq. These two "issues" if you will, are not even in the same ballpark.

I get what he is saying, where is the outcry from the Hollywood types and the rest of the "advocates"?

Of course they are not the same thing, I get that. I am appalled at what this dentist did but I don't think his life(and livelihood)should be ruined beyond repair.

Bill

You may 'get' what he is saying but it is what 'the media' propagandist want you to identify with...There are no shortages of Human beings and killing these majestic lions for sport is not a very 'manly' thing to do, but some will identify with it.

• Moderators

Well there is hunting domestically here in the US, none of the animals are endangered, all except varmints or pests are hunted for meat. It is taxed, they raise funds for conservation and lands. In Texas, most western states, Wyoming, Montana, the mid-west, Ohio, Michagan, and others like Wisconsin, a significant percentage of the population hunt. It has been passed down from generation to generation since before the founding.

Then there is fishing is that different? I don't know.

Then there is people who eat beef, chicken and/or pork. Is that different, maybe a little. Veal?

Farm raised duck, goose, elk, venison?

Leather shoes? I have boots made out of Ostrich, American Aligator, Elephant, Sting Ray, Ant Eater, etc.,etc. Ant eater became endangered way after I got my pair.

Mink coat, fox stole, beaver, coyote hood ruff, baby seal.

Should it depend on how beautiful the animal, how cut, how majestic?

There is mointain lion hunting legal in many, many states. Texas and Nevada advertise for them, but the bast majority of the public do not know how they are hunted.

It isn't a complex issue, it is more about when, where, and how you were raised. If you have a wolf or mountain lion eating your sheep, you are going to kill it.

Who was the professional athelete who had to kill a lion with a spear at age 14 as part of his culture? I dont remember a huge outcry about that, maybe because that was more of a fair fight.

In places where you really have to live off the land things are seen differently.

It is a matter of degree, some see a huge difference between eating a veal shank and harvesting a deer. Others maybe not so much.

No. If you kill to get excited like you scored a touchdown in a football game, it's bad... period. We are not taking up the debate between vegetarians and omnivores.

What if you get the thrill from catching a fish, a Marlin, or a giant blue fin?

Is there a difference between the thrill a kid gets when when he/she catches their first fish and the thrill they get when they shoot their first, dove, duck or deer?

Is "the hunt" internally wired in us? We obviously evolved from being hunters, and potentially being hunted. Our peripheral vision is better at seeing and reacting to movement then our central vision is just one example.

Do all hunters have a mental defect, or just ones who hunt for trophys and not the meat?

It seems to me that if the average person is not hung up on eating meat, it is pretty tough for them to say it is wrong to deer hunt. There are laws in every state that makes it illegal to waste meat.

All I know is, they sure didn't leave me any buffalo.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

You have no idea about what is going on in the Middle East...Insofar as ISIS is concerned, their main enemy is in the region they are fighting and they want to take over those countries and make it one--The only reason they want the USA involved is to build support for their cause and one just needs to look at our experience in Iraq to realize why both our enemy and our Sunni Allie governments want Americans over there and it's NOT for our best interest....

If you really want to start an interesting Middle East discussion it would be prudent to bring Iran in the mix and think out of your ideological box.

I think I know why you left the forums. It's because you can't refrain from getting personally/emotionally involved in the tough issues that were being brought out.

First it appears you called me an idiot (thinly veiled) and now you maintain I'm clueless. Why? Because my observations are different than yours?

If we are in the M.E. because we have been asked to go there and NOT for oil, then please explain why we haven't sent any troops to Africa? We've been requested on multiple occasions to help them. Yet, we don't. I'd love to hear your opinion on why we are treating Africa differently than we are treating the M.E.

Is "the hunt" internally wired in us? We obviously evolved from being hunters, and potentially being hunted. Our peripheral vision is better at seeing and reacting to movement then our central vision is just one example.

Do all hunters have a mental defect, or just ones who hunt for trophys and not the meat?

Hunting was instilled in those that grew up with it and those that don't probably wouldn't go out of their way to kill an animal as long as there are grocery stores...

• Moderators

The PP subject was dead. Until you just brought it back. THANKS! If I'm the idiot you are referring to then yeah, I'll wear that label proudly.

Planned Parenthood looks to be doing some things that need to be investigated. Period. If you have a different opinion, fine. Express it. Preferably by starting another thread. I will gladly join in. This one is about a lion, which I added how ridiculous it is to have such sorrow for it while ignoring other ills that are far more important.

NOT IN MY THREAD, it doesnt have anything to do with this thread, start you own, but get it the hell out of MY thread, I don't want this thread locked because you can't control yourself.

It is about how hunting a lion can morph into something you never expected, and hunting in general.

• Like 3

It seems to me that if the average person is not hung up on eating meat, it is pretty tough for them to say it is wrong to deer hunt. There are laws in every state that makes it illegal to waste meat.

Good point.  Here is my response:

That meat is unquestionably inferior in taste and texture.  The only thing I can make of it is there must be 3 possibilities:

1.  The guy is wired in a goofy way and really likes the meat, 

2.  The guy eats the meat to cover his unstable mental tracks (i.e., his lust to kill) , or

3.  The guy gets the same kind of "thrill" from cannibalizing his victim.

I think the ones in the first category deserve a pass.  The others.... Nope.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

NOT IN MY THREAD, it doesnt have anything to do with this thread, start you own, but get it the hell out of MY thread, I don't want this thread locked because you can't control yourself.

It is about how hunting a lion can morph into something you never expected, and hunting in general.

I think this is a very fair request, and it should be honored.

I think I know why you left the forums. It's because you can't refrain from getting personally/emotionally involved in the tough issues that were being brought out.

First it appears you called me an idiot (thinly veiled) and now you maintain I'm clueless. Why? Because my observations are different than yours?

If we are in the M.E. because we have been asked to go there and NOT for oil, then please explain why we haven't sent any troops to Africa? We've been requested on multiple occasions to help them. Yet, we don't. I'd love to hear your opinion on why we are treating Africa differently than we are treating the M.E.

I am not going to discuss the middle east with you because it is out of the realm of this threads topic--The reason I singled your post out is because I thought you were the first one who brought up 'planned parenthood and gave a response that I thought was appropriate. That said, of course you are aloud to have your own opinion and is why I responded like I did...Back to the lion discussion.

Lion killing?  You mean that story about some guy that hunted a lion that the MSM is distracting the population with?  That story that is on the minds of the sheep that accept MSM stories as "news" that they should be concerned about?

Sorry, I've been too busy paying attention to what is REALLY going on.  You know, how Hillary strides around on the presidential campaign trail when she should be in prison for lying to congress and destroying evidence that was subpoenaed, how "PP" has been illegally selling body parts of murdered children (whilst being funded by us of course), and how the Obama regime is currently trying to use the Social Security system to deny gun rights to millions of Americans.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good point. Here is my response:

That meat is unquestionably inferior in taste and texture. The only thing I can make of it is there must be 3 possibilities:

1. The guy is wired in a goofy way and really likes the meat,

2. The guy eats the meat to cover his unstable mental tracks (i.e., his lust to kill) , or

3. The guy gets the same kind of "thrill" from cannibalizing his victim.

I think the ones in the first category deserve a pass. The others.... Nope.

What if he is poor and gets his resident elk tag and shoots a cow and feeds his family for six months?