Any one what to go lion hunting?

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

That's why we have a warning system.  

Might as well shut this one down. Provoking others with bait in a non political setting is never going to end well.

We are doing our best to give a little leeway, and locking a thread is the last thing we want to do.

A thread on the forums was just locked. Am I to assume warning points were issued prior to the lock?

Warning points can be issued at any time and aren't always predicated upon a thread being locked.  

Guest Steven1963

I also see that some want to carry on the discussion about Planned Parenthood in another thread and hope it's alowed to stand because I do have feelings on that subject as well.

It was locked. Ironically I created it to take the title away from anyone who might have been thinking about creating the thread. In it I detailed how I didn't think it was a good idea that this subject be talked about on these forums.

I was attacked by more than one individual for even making the thread. Even though I took the position that I did so to make sure anyone who was thinking about doing it, could first see that we probably shouldn't 'go there.'

There are a few on these forums that cannot handle difficult subjects and they wouldn't even entertain the title much less the subject matter that it shouldn't be brought up here.

My point was this guy had a 3 digit IQ. He knew better with his 50 large game kills and his past documented trouble of the poaching of a large Black Bear. He was a loser at heart, stop protecting his actions and call a spade a spade.

There you go. Was it necessary to attack my position before you could make yours known? It's not hard to state your position without trashing someone who takes the opposite stand.

I agree with you on certain levels. And perhaps I confused your post with others on here and thought you were also saying that hunting in general was archaic. Perhaps you are! And I would disagree. Does that threaten you to the point that you feel the need to interject personal accusations?

But I'm not protecting him. If you read my posts as you say you did, finding my 'BS' enjoyable, then you'd see I think there are far, far more important things going on in the world, and right here in our country, that are more deserving of some Lion losing its life.

No, I don't think hunting is bad and I am far, far from a vegetarian. Yes, I do think killing an endangered or majestic animal is very, very uncool. Forgive me my personal banter against your posts. However, you are creating "situations" and passing the given topic for other problems instead of just talking about the topic at hand, which is the illegal killing of Cecil.  Im really not certain where you stand going back and reading all of your posts again.   Of course there are more important, horrendous things going on right this very moment in the US and sadly they are happening to children, but that is not what we were discussing in the thread.

• Moderators

I also see that some want to carry on the discussion about Planned Parenthood in another thread and hope it's alowed to stand because I do have feelings on that subject as well.

It was locked. Ironically I created it to take the title away from anyone who might have been thinking about creating the thread. In it I detailed how I didn't think it was a good idea that this subject be talked about on these forums.

I was attacked by more than one individual for even making the thread. Even though I took the position that I did so to make sure anyone who was thinking about doing it, could first see that we probably shouldn't 'go there.'

There are a few on these forums that cannot handle difficult subjects and they wouldn't even entertain the title much less the subject matter that it shouldn't be brought up here.

I'm very familiar with the subject matter in the thread and the posters involved.

If you care to discuss this further you can revert to PMs.  

The OP has asked that this remain on topic.  Thank you for your cooperation.

I don't think it went down that way, but I could be wrong.

It looks to me as if someone considered your act to be kind of smart-alecky.  It reminds me of an episode of "The Practice" where Danny (I think that was the chunky, Italian attorney's name) was told by a judge that he could not argue to the jury that the victim deserved killing, and that if he argued on that basis he would be held in contempt.  So, closing argument begins, and Danny says, "Members of the jury.  I am not going to argue that that scumbag, Vinny, deserved killing.  Never mind he was a rapist, a murderer, a drug dealer and a child molester with multiple, repeat convictions.  Because no matter what, you aren't going to hear me say a guy like that deserved to be killed."

I got a good laugh out of that.

• Like 1

Might as well shut this one down. Provoking others with bait in a non political setting is never going to end well.

Hey, I made it in before the close!  :D

So far on a simple thread requesting people to go on a lion hunt, I have seen responses which include anthropomorphism, atheist thought, Buddhism, Nihilism, and argumentation for the sake of arguments sake so strong it made my head swim (and yes, my wife accuses me of arguments for the sake of arguments also, but that's different because she is just plain wrong about that  :P )

We have lost our way in this thread; what about the children?  :unsure:

We should all take heart, stand up for what is right, and declare loudly:

cecil32-1024x993.jpg

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• Moderators

when I was 16 or so, bunch of guys said, lets go shoot rabbits in the desert! Ok, say i. we jump in a couple gars filled with various guns and go to the desert. I borrow a gun and the guy show me how to shoot it. we all run around the desert for hours shooting like mad all over. blah, blah. then, for some reason a rabbit runs behind a little mesquite bush, but hes on MY SIDE of the bush. not far from me. i aim and shoot and hot the rabbit. he jumps in the air with a weird rapid twwitching which I see and then flops down. i run up to it to see what I killed, but it wasn't dead. standing over it, it is breathing like very very rapid, his eye looks up to me. at this moment all i feel inside is the pain and the suffering of this brown rascal, trying so hard to breath and he is asking me - why did you shoot me? what did I do to you? and my stomach is knotted to watch this little think suffering and I hear it crying at me. i wondered if it could be repaired? but no, it was dying too slow. I shot it again to make it stop breathing and make it stop asking me why. I never again took a life with intention like that. just for fun, just to screwe around and just for a thrill. it made me sick for a long time to think of this rabbit. i began to understand that suffering is the same for animals as humans. why MAKE new suffering?

later in life i got pet dogs. oh my!!! i learn how animals love, how they feel, how they suffer, how they know humans, how they know we know them! this was the final straw for me to know that if dogs have such sensations and feelings, then arrdvark and zebra will too. and little brown rabbits. death happens, and even intentional death like beef cattles. but not with a hardness of heart, or intention of getting a thrill from the pain of animals. Nature involves death, but morality involves knowing it is not right to cause pain in exchange for mere excitement of our ego. because if we can do that to lions and bears, we can do it to any living thing we judge to be inferior to us.

if aliens ever do land on earth. we will slaughter them long before we know if they are good or bad. we will slaughter them like lions and rhinos and hang the alien head on wall.

I'm with ya, but are you saying "meat is murder"? (Kind of a catchy phrase there).

Is consuming meat a moral question? Is it ok to purchase meat in a supermarket, but not hunt?

There was a Kung Fu episode dealing with eating meat and Cain said "I do not kill to eat." I told my parents that, my mom gave me more salad and vegetables. My dad kind of sat back and smiled but didn't say anything. I think I was in swim practice 2 or 3 hours a day at the time. I think I lasted about a day as a Shaolin vegetarian.

It eating meat is wrong that is going to be an awfully big room. If eating meat is ok, isn't killing, killing? Does it matter to the cow if she is killed by a mountain lion, a mechanical killing device at the slaughter house, or the by the farmer who raised her who is going to save that one to feed his family with?

It looks to me as if someone considered your act to be kind of smart-alecky. I

That's why I hoped it was part of the new norm....I totally agree that folks need a place to express their opinion, but think they would be surprised and bewildered that not everyone thinks like they do and have rational arguments against what they've heard on TV and the radio. 

• Moderators

That may be, but quit bringing it up in my thread.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Hey, I made it in before the close!  :D

So far on a simple thread requesting people to go on a lion hunt, I have seen responses which include anthropomorphism, atheist thought, Buddhism, Nihilism, and argumentation for the sake of arguments sake so strong it made my head swim (and yes, my wife accuses me of arguments for the sake of arguments also, but that's different because she is just plain wrong about that  :P )

We have lost our way in this thread; what about the children?  :unsure:

We should all take heart, stand up for what is right, and declare loudly:

cecil32-1024x993.jpg

That's the beauty of these threads. They start out one way and go in multiple different directions. If they didn't, it'd be "pretty Lion dead! Bad Dentist!" and all the replies would be "yeah!" or "No!" Frankly, I'm the 'no.' And every time I gave my reasoning I had to defend it. Which is fine. But yeah, it's better than everyone being in agreement. This thread would have been 2 pages long.

• Moderators

That's why we have a warning system.

We are doing our best to give a little leeway, and locking a thread is the last thing we want to do.

A thread on the forums was just locked. Am I to assume warning points were issued prior to the lock?

Warning points can be issued at any time and aren't always predicated upon a thread being locked.

Glad to hear that, hopefully I will not get locked because of just 2 or 3 people who cannot stay on a topic. Just delete their posts if need be.

• Like 1

From my point of view, I think the problem in the thread is not whether or not the lion hunter was irresponsible, negligent, evil or whatever. I think the thread was posted only to provoke responses from those who disagree with hunting a prize game animal. I don't like the fact that this lion waas taken but so is the way of the African continent. Pretty much lawless and immoral. Money can buy anything over there, from endangered species to sex slaves.

I think several people in the thread, and many more outside the thread wonder why people are standing up for the rights of a lion but not for unborn American babies. In actuality the US allows unborn children to be sucked out of mommas womb with hardly a voice of objection. Abortion apalls me too, but this is our morally corrupt society. I agree with those that voice that we should not allow this to go on, however this is a country of laws....and here the law makes abortion legal. Many of the US laws I disagree with, however if i hate this country so much i am free to move. I know tying the death of a lion and the cries of many to the problems of abortion and the deafening silence is thought provoking, but there are many Facebook pages and other public boards where you can comment and bait others into arguments. Probably better to move the debate elsewhere so feelings don't get hurt and feathers ruffled.

• Moderators

Whether you think some cannot "handle" or "entertain the title" of  "difficult subjects" is a mute point.  It's against the rules. That's reason enough to NOT bring them up here, not to mention the OP has requested that his thread stay on topic.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

That's the second time you've responded to me as if I'm the one who keeps coming back to it. If you re-read the first time you'll see I was advocating to keep the thread on topic. If you look this time you'll see that I was simply responding to someone else who brought it up. Calm down Travis.

Now we've heard everyone else opinions on your thread, but you really haven't delved into what you think of the situation?

• Moderators

From my point of view, I think the problem in the thread is not whether or not the lion hunter was irresponsible, negligent, evil or whatever. I think the thread was posted only to provoke responses from those who disagree with hunting a prize game animal. I don't like the fact that this lion waas taken but so is the way of the African continent. Pretty much lawless and immoral. Money can buy anything over there, from endangered species to sex slaves.

I think several people in the thread, and many more outside the thread wonder why people are standing up for the rights of a lion but not for unborn American babies. In actuality the US allows unborn children to be sucked out of mommas womb with hardly a voice of objection. Abortion apalls me too, but this is our morally corrupt society. I agree with those that voice that we should not allow this to go on, however this is a country of laws....and here the law makes abortion legal. Many of the US laws I disagree with, however if i hate this country so much i am free to move. I know tying the death of a lion and the cries of many to the problems of abortion and the deafening silence is thought provoking, but there are many Facebook pages and other public boards where you can comment and bait others into arguments. Probably better to move the debate elsewhere so feelings don't get hurt and feathers ruffled.

Once again, stay on topic and stop bringing other subjects that are not allowed into this thread.  

• Like 1

Okay, two lions walk into the bar

The first lion is slouched into his chair at the table with his paw covering his mouth.

The second lion asks what is wrong, the first lion responds he thinks he may have to go visit the dentist.

Second lion then points out the large spotlight outside the bar with a carcass attached to the truck.....nevermind the dentist came to you

First lion goes to visit dentist and is shot dead outside bar as second lion enjoys his drink.

• Moderators

That's the second time you've responded to me as if I'm the one who keeps coming back to it. If you re-read the first time you'll see I was advocating to keep the thread on topic. If you look this time you'll see that I was simply responding to someone else who brought it up. Calm down Travis.

Now we've heard everyone else opinions on your thread, but you really haven't delved into what you think of the situation?

Let me make it simple for you. YOU are the one who keeps bringing up that organization. I dont know if you have something important to say about it or not or if you think it is a media conspiracy I don't really care.

I am sorry you started another thread at my suggestion only to have it locked and removed.

Quit bringing up that organization in MY thread, or the fact that you couldn't talk about it in another thread.

Start another thread about the limitation of topics on the forum.

I am calm, but let me help. I am not looking for anyone to tell me why this is a big story. Hey start a topic on that.

Meat

Hunting

Hunting lions

Media's reaction

Is it evil to hunt. Is it evil to eat meat?

hunting and murder for intentional joy arises in people who have no spirit. often called consciousness. they are dead inside EXCEPT for the ego, which tells them they alone are important. they have no established connection with the feelings of other living things. they do not see any connection at all. ego says, only I exist, only I matter, no other thing is more important than I.

others develope spirit inside. they develope a connection to lving things....comraderie? a wholeness that sees other lifes as different but not unimportant. look at a whale and see the intelligence, the caring, the feelings they show for their offsprings. Lions dogs cats have feelings and consciousness. we even love pets, which are just dogs and cats. how about we go dog hunting with bow and arrow and kill all dogs in the neighborhood? hey, they are less than lions, less than humans, might as well have fun shooting them!! get excitement killing all the dogs in the area! mount they heads on the wall too!! sick? how is that sicker than murdering elks or lions for fun?

I hope the big God has special punishment for such unfeeling people. a room alone for eternity with no other living things?

Like Earnest Hemmingway? Chuck Yeager? Bud Grant.

They get their own room?

i don't know much about the motivations of those people when they killed. but sure, if it was for a thrill of killing other living things, why not eternity alone? those names mean nothing by themselves. does writing books give on the right to murder? flying planes? i find it ridicilous to exhonerate a killer because of his other job. it tells me people are not equal, some are so special they cana't be judged.

notice, i did not recommend hell. only a room by themselves to contemplate that they might appreciate other lving things.

I am not aware of any country that considers killing an animal illegally to be murder, not even in India where in some areas animals are considered sacred. It can be described as many things, but muder isn't one of them. It has a particular meaning. There is a fundamental reason for this that relates to how society,values human life and incorporates that value into a legal system.

Here is ten more to add to the room.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-legendary-american-hunters-pics/

Teddy, Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, etc.

right....its not murder by laws, even im not so stupid to think that. it is moral murder, which means his INTENT was unjustified. he plotted and conspired to kill the animal for nothing more than his personal excitement. thats a moral murder in a conscious world where we undwerstand animals have sentience. maybe yuo have never had a pet dog or cat, and you are unaware that animals are sentient, and they have feelings. could be. if you are that unaware, try to understand what is known today about animals. if you know, and you simply feel so superiror that you have the right to kill whichever ones you want for fun or amusement, i pity you.

i do not know if dan boone and dave crocket killed animal for amusement, but i suspect it was more about food. i can not judge those old cases you contonue to bring. I can judge the current one - - a very rich guy that is well fed pays $50000 just because he wants the thrill of that kill of a big lion. nothing to do with survivial, or eating food. its about another big precious animal head on wall and a photograph of The Great White Hunter. BARF!!!

i advise people to get a pet, and learn about their place in the universe with all the other life. you will be shocked at what you learn about animals.

• Moderators

Okay, two lions walk into the bar

The first lion is slouched into his chair at the table with his paw covering his mouth.

The second lion asks what is wrong, the first lion responds he thinks he may have to go visit the dentist.

Second lion then points out the large spotlight outside the bar with a carcass attached to the truck.....nevermind the dentist came to you

First lion goes to visit dentist and is shot dead outside bar as second lion enjoys his drink.

That's what you get for drinking.

• Like 1