What are your go-to news sources?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I'm a bit of a news junky and I'm always checking out a handful of sites for my fix. My list of favorites is a bit light, however, so I'm looking to find more and I was wondering what sites you guys use as your go-to sources?

Here are my current favorites, and why I use them:

Drudge Report. This site is a news aggregate and I can usually get the top headlines in the country without a lot of glamour.

Huffington Post. I love the layout and design. It's first rate. Their headlines are usually a little bombastic and colorful, but they provide good content.

Zero Hedge. Very basic economic site that provides inside analysis to what is going on 'behind the scenes.'

Breitbart. Another site that I like on how it is laid out. And just like Huffington Post their headlines tend to be outrageous, but I lean towards those only because it provide a little levity to offset the heavy news.

Martin Armstrong. This is primarily a pay site but he does provide free commentary and you can get a ton of information about the complete economic picture of the world. He's internationally known and consults at that level also.

So that's it. For a news junky it's pretty light and so that's why I'm looking to expand. I don't watch any TV so that's why I have nothing to list there. So help this news junky expand his list and tell me why you use those sources?

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I'm open to all sorts of opinions. And I'm not afraid of opinion/editorial - it's what I'm always trying to solicit here, but sometimes I don't do a good job of making that clear.

Whatever you've got that you find interesting and informative is what I'm looking to add to my list.

Edited by Steven1963

Drudge, FreeRepublic, Hot Air, NewsBusters, Town Hall, CNSNews, StrategyPage.  While FreeRepublic can have some heated and personal comments (people will be people, after all), you will get much reported and discussed in ways often omitted entirely, or barely mentioned in most main-stream-media.

Guest Steven1963

Great topic.

I'm glad you think so, Travis. It was a chore writing it twice.

Edited by Steven1963

Drudge Report

I like to scan InfoWars once a week but I have to overlook the conspiracy stuff. They report stuff that nobody else will though, and if you like Drudge, well, Drudge links there all the time.

For fun stuff I like fark.com

various financial stuff like ZeroHedge.

Guest Steven1963

Drudge Report

I like to scan InfoWars once a week but I have to overlook the conspiracy stuff. They report stuff that nobody else will though, and if you like Drudge, well, Drudge links there all the time.

For fun stuff I like fark.com

various financial stuff like ZeroHedge.

I forgot to mention infowars. Yes it can be hard to sift through but you are right they hit on stuff nobody else will touch.

news is a loose term...i think..if my electric rate is going up..wow that is big newes. i need to no about it. if some  goverment guy "says something"...i call that gossip...like who cares.... not me for sure..on tv and web most of what is called news looks more like gossip to me.siome of it is fun, but it could all be made up and i wouldn't know the difference. ...i read a story once by a reporter from national inquirer who said they all sat around and just made stuff up on the fly..you know..elvis has a secret wife.. and so on. if a government guy blabs  no one can verify it,... and it's just as useful as gossip. almost all of what is called news is just the blabbing of goverment guys and gals.

point a camera anywhere to collect news. if you live in hollywood or washington or new york you might capture a known person gabbing...this is news!!! 10 million people blabbing endlessly is news. just pick the blabbing you like. pick one that has the same idea you have!!

my answer: your local paper

Fox News, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN.  I deleted MSNBC from my channel listings because it was so blatantly venomous there was no usable information.

I watch Fox News the most because they show more original un-edited footage of people talking, pres, etc than any other network.  I can hear the person talk in their own words then decide how I feel about it rather than let the media tell me what they think I should know.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

• Moderators

For general news, aggregated, I like

Google News Reader

Flipboard

The Week, in the print edition.

For magazines, and websires I read:

The Economist

Foriegn Affairs

Harvard Political Review

National Review

The Atlantic

I have been extremely interested in the media, on the "media". I just subscribed to the Journal of Media Psychology to try to get a better understanding on that subject.

• Like 3

I watch and listen to Fox News, Fox Business as I find at least you hear both sides of the story. I have absolutely no use for CNN or MSNBC. I also keep on top of news with feeds on my facebook from the Drudge Report, The BlackSphere, David Webb, Allen West, and a few others. My favorite shows are Megyn Kelly, The Five and Outnumbered on Fox News channel. I am also a huge fan of Glenn Beck, Dana Loesch and The Blaze

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

• Moderators

"Martin Armstrong. This is primarily a pay site but he does provide free commentary and you can get a ton of information about the complete economic picture of the world. He's internationally known and consults at that level also."

Before he went to prison I believe he was getting something like 5,000 to 10,000 an hour for investment advice.

I guess the question I would have is: what is he internationally know for?

I remember reading a great article about him,Pi, Fibonacci numbers, etc. being related to the stock market, but I can't remember where now, it will come to me.

Guest Steven1963

Martin Armstrong claims to have designed a compute program that can predict market cycles both on a micro and macro scale. He claims the reason he was sent to prison is because that program was demanded and when he wouldn't turn it over, he was sent to prison for contempt for several years.

He is out now, and running a business consulting large corporations and other entities even larger. His free blog, while sometimes convoluted and filled with grammatical errors (lending to a credibility issue, in my book), is filled with insight and bits of future market forecasts. He is, from the limited time I have been following him, amazingly accurate. He says it isn't him, it's the computer.

All I know is his success rate is astounding.

Guest Steven1963

I go to the ever popular, and never bias MSNBC  or  FOX

Please be careful here. I don't want another of my threads locked.

• Like 2

I subscribe to and read the print New York Times and Washington Post.  There's way too much to read all of those, so I look for good articles, op-eds and occasionally editorials, to focus on and read.  I also scan the AOL opening splashes for new and different.

I watch MSNBC for political news and shows, but switch to CNN for more substantive news and analyses concerning war activity, disasters, etc., and occasional trials and special events.  They tend to use knowledgeable panels instead of single same-old reporters like MSNBC.  Fox is a lot of work to ID and filter out its frequent tendency to put anti-Dem spin on things.  MSNBC shows have quite a bit of that, too, but it's much more objective and agreeable to me and not quite as sneaky as Fox.  Fox can be very good, but you've gotta watch out for them.

The Fox Business Channel has some very good programs, like Oliver North and Strange Inheritance.  I don't have much confidence in their business and finance news, and much prefer CNBC for that.

For TV news, I watch 60 minutes and have settled on CBS evening news as the most succinct, on-target, and focused.

For the Sunday AM talk shows, I watch the Fox/Chris Wallace hour, and then flip between Meet the Press and Face the Nation.  I generally skip the ABC hour.  After that, CNN is pretty good in spots, so I taper off with Fareed Zakaria's GPS.

Generally speaking, I don't like to watch obviously biased programs, at least ones I disagree with.