Duh...took half a century to figure out the right fryer

Mallette

I've had several electric fryers over the years.  No matter what price they were never big enough and didn't recover fast enough when you put in the food.  They got nasty and uncleanable.  A year or so ago I finally got back to gas cooking like God intended and had a nice 20k btu center burner.  Fried in a big pot on it and such a relief.  Fast heat, fast recovery, and no butt pucker hoping it didn't boil over. 

But, still had the nuisance of storing the oil and cleaning the pot.

Was in Walmart and wandering past the pots and my eye lit on a cheap, big pressure cooker and the lights went on upstairs.  Don't know why it didn't occur to me before.  Thing was less than 30 bucks and plenty of room for oil.  Best of all, when it cools you just lock the lid on it an put it in the pantry until next time. 

Am I the last to figure this out?

Dave

• Like 1

gas cooking like God intended

LOL.  God intended wood and then charcoal, not earth farts.  So did you ever read the history of Kentucky Fried Chicken of which the main revolution was the use of a pressure cooker?  Their stuff would still be good today if only they used real chicken and learned how to make decent side dishes.

• Like 5

LOL.  God intended wood and then charcoal, not earth farts.  So did you ever read the history of Kentucky Fried Chicken of which the main revolution was the use of a pressure cooker?  Their stuff would still be good today if only they used real chicken and learned how to make decent side dishes.

KFC coleslaw is OK, not a big fan of much of their other sides but the biscuits are edible.

I go to Carsons ribs to get coleslaw, best i ever had but the place is expensive.

Their stuff would still be good today if only they used real chicken and learned how to make decent side dishes.

I worked in 2 different KFC's in 2 different states in my younger days.  KFC actually had ribs at one time.  They were fantastic, some of the best I've ever had anywhere.

He He Earth farts, good one. :lol:

Never heard that terminology before.

There are additional risks to using a pressure cooker with oil for frying.  Pressure frying is typically done at a lower pressure than most cheap pressure cookers can handle (cheap may only have a 15 psi setting while other pressure cookers may have 6 psi) and gasket material may not hold up under the hot oil, among other risks.

http://missvickie.com/howto/fry/frying.html

Edited by Fjd

Seems you must need a few years on you to use/know about pressure cookers. I have and use one quite often. My mother used the venerable Mirro pressure cooker and I learned from her the technique required for proper cooking yet not blowing the damn thing apart. The older cookers could be dangerous little devils if too much pressure built and not released properly, heaven forbid you were looking down on it should the safety plug blow out the top! Yes you would have a .38 caliber sized hole in your head.

The new designs are much safer and easy to use, the toughest meats can be rendered fork tender in a fraction the time of oven cooking and flavors are infused into the meat much more so under pressure. I do believe with the right seasoning one could pressure cook an old shoe and be tender as can be!

I've been using a pressure cooker for decades and use it regularly.  The one I have at the moment has two pressure levels and will cook a pot of pintos in 12 minutes.

And, yes, I knew about KFC...but I do NOT pressure fry.  Not sure about the safety aspects and really don't care to pressure grease into my food.  Shrimp take 3 minutes.  Fries maybe 8.  Fish 5.  Why would I want to speed that up?  Even the Joy of Cooking fried chicken (the very best recipe ever, including even my mothers) still only takes 12 minutes or so and a pot roast 20. 

The point is easy, clean storage and no clean up...as well as plenty of room. 

I know a  lot of folks who cook...but I'd never run across anyone using a pressure cooker that way. 

Dave

• Moderators

I have a couple of pressure cookers here, I only use them as a conventional pot because the size and thickness are good. There old and missing the part that went on the top to control pressure.  

But the main reason I have never tried a real pressure cooker is I am scared of them :o I never seen it happen but I do remember my Grandmother cursing as she tried to clean red beans off the ceiling and the rest of the kitchen. :blink:

But the main reason I have never tried a real pressure cooker is I am scared of them

No reason.  Grandma's was probably defective or ill designed.  The valves today in any reasonable unit are pretty much fail safe with no mechanics involved. 

However, I can't see getting any benefit from pressure frying other than speed...which I don't need if I have enough heat.  Our "real" PC is a Fagor as well.  Has a large pot and a smaller one as well.  Super nice unit with two pressures and the ability to release pressure (with CARE...that steam will GIT you) I really like. I'll bet JL's wife's chicken is awesome, but probably a lot like the Joy of Cooking one.    It's the only one I ever found that made for both a great hot crust that remains crunchy when cold out of the fridge.   Perfect for picnics or day after munching.  JofC isn't absolutely foolproof but still the best all around book on the planet for western style cooking.  I've a big Chinese one I bought over there years ago called the "Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking" and it's sort of a JofC for the orient.  While we have a bunch of others if I were on the Martian colonist manifest those are the two I'd take. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Yes, I think the 97 is the newest one I have.  I don't know anything about newer ones.  As mentioned, not everything in there is a winner but it's so large and varied there are a lot of really great ones.  The fried chicken is one such.  If you are any good at cooking...and I know you are...the thing is to look at what is there and you can pretty much determine whether it's going to be a winner or need modifications.  I forget which one it is, but they have a basic spaghetti sauce that is stupidly simply and with really great meatballs (I have my own recipe for those and don't look at anything) its really great. 

Actually, I probably have one older than that as my brother got me one when first married in the 70s. 

Of course, one of the main good things is all the basic and ancillary information in there about spices, ingredients, etc that are hard to find in one place. 

Probably should mention that I'd want a third:  "Good Meals and How to Prepare Them" from the Good Housekeeping Institute published in 1927.  Due to the date, it's a wonderful crossover from the 19th century to the 20th.  Has info on game preparation and seriously old fashioned basic recipes.  Number of things like "Tomato Aspic" long out of fashion.  There are pages of "Charts for Quick Breads" and for other things that are priceless and wonderful.  Found it in an old house I rented back in the early 70s.  I have to keep it in a plastic bag now it is so used and loved.

Dave

• Like 1

There are additional risks to using a pressure cooker with oil for frying.  Pressure frying is typically done at a lower pressure than most cheap pressure cookers can handle (cheap may only have a 15 psi setting while other pressure cookers may have 6 psi) and gasket material may not hold up under the hot oil, among other risks.

http://missvickie.com/howto/fry/frying.html

Dave, are you pressure frying or just using the big pot in a conventional manner?

I've been using a pressure cooker for decades and use it regularly.  The one I have at the moment has two pressure levels and will cook a pot of pintos in 12 minutes.

And, yes, I knew about KFC...but I do NOT pressure fry.  Not sure about the safety aspects and really don't care to pressure grease into my food.  Shrimp take 3 minutes.  Fries maybe 8.  Fish 5.  Why would I want to speed that up?  Even the Joy of Cooking fried chicken (the very best recipe ever, including even my mothers) still only takes 12 minutes or so and a pot roast 20. 

The point is easy, clean storage and no clean up...as well as plenty of room. 

I know a  lot of folks who cook...but I'd never run across anyone using a pressure cooker that way. 

Dave

Dave, i was just asking cuz it seemed to me like FJD took it that you were pressure frying.