Bob Crites CT120 tweeters

kg4guy

I replaced one of the K-77-D's in my La Scala 2's with a CT120 today.  Install took about an hour - had to square-off the rounded corners of the tweeter cut-out on the motor-board so the CT120 would fit.  Got everything buttoned up after a little bit of fiddling around.  The difference is noticeable right away.  The CT120 is clearer, more detailed, and free from any coloration.  Off-axis sounds better too.  I didn't make any changes to the crossover (it's a big honkin' crossover inside the La Scala 2 BTW).  The volume of the K-77-D and CT120 seemed to be matched - at first I thought the CT120 was a bit louder but I don't think so - it's just clearer and revealing more details.  I only had a chance to listen to a few songs today.  Tomorrow I'll do some more detailed listening before swapping out the other K-77-D.  

Update - I've been running CT120's in my LS2's for nearly week - fantastic.  However, after further listening, I did need to attenuate the CT120 a bit because it was just too hot relative to the mid and bass.  Here's a comparison of the K77 vs CT120 using REW.  (Note I'm a REW novice just using my Macbook mic to take some simple measurements.)  This graph was produced with the K77 in the left speaker and the CT120 in the right - so there are some room variations in play here - but close enough.

post-61736-0-67640000-1465858594_thumb.j

After installing the CT120 in both speakers, I tried attenuating them with the treble tone control but didn't care for that approach.  Then I tried a super high tech method - I stuck about .75" then upped it to 1.5" of open-cell foam into the throat of the CT120 horn.  I like it.

post-61736-0-87760000-1465858634_thumb.j

The foam knocks down the volume evenly across the frequency response of the CT120 - very much inline with the rest of the drivers now.  I'm going to run like this for a while to see how I like it.

Two things are easily noticeable:

1) the CT120 is an exceptionally smooth and revealing tweeter.

2) It has a different timbre than the K77 - I think because it gets rid of that hump in the 6.5Khz to 8Khz range - it might be my personal ear/preference, but I don't like the sound in that frequency range.  Kind of a cupped sibilance ssshhh sound to the K77 that always bothered me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question on these Crites ct120 tweeters. On my belle klipsch speakers, the highs are wicked bright (I'm from New England, that means very bright). I need to lower the treble pretty low compared to flat on the receiver. If I install these tweeters in my belles, will that make a difference on brightness?

Edited by dtr20

I absolutely love my belles. But since this is an upgrade product and I don't understand all of those charts that were posted, I'm just trying to figure out what these do over the stock tweeters. I took a guess on the brightness.

There smooth up top is how I describe them. I have em' in Cornwall I along with the Kappa c and ALK uni's.

005_zpsjisybeuo.jpg

Is it similar to the difference between the stock klf-series tweeter diaphragms and the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms? I absolutely love the upgraded tweeter diaphragms in my klf speakers. I'm trying to decide to upgrade or not. For $200+, I need to know what to expect before purchasing. It's not like the $50 titanium upgrade which was well worth the gamble, not to much risk. Thanks

On my stock La Scala-2's, the CT-120's were louder than the K-77 and I needed to quiet them down with some foam to make them more inline with the other drivers.  I would guess they would be even "more wicked" on your Belles.

After several weeks, I prefer them over the stock K-77s.  If you liked the difference between the stock KLF tweeter compared to the same tweeter after a titanium diaphragm upgrade, then I'm thinking you would like the voice of the CT120 (even though it's mylar not titanium) over the K77.  One of the reasons I pondered the CT120 upgrade on my LS2s for a while was I always liked the cleaner sound of the K-107 titanium tweeters on my Heresy 3's over the K77s on my LS2's.  We're probably getting into personal preference territory here but I feel the CT120s have a cleaner modern sound while the K-77 is more old school.

It wouldn't be a $200 gamble considering you could easily sell them here if you don't like them.  Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

I haven't read through all of these pages here yet but wanted to say I just installed a pair of these in my HIP's and they sound incredible!! Way more open detailed airy, just about everything is 10x's better than the old k-77's that were in there. OK, I don't know about 10x's better but definitely night and day difference. Substantially more noticeable than the titanium tweeter upgrade in the forte / Chorus models. I've cranked these up a bit as well and they don't seem to get harsh sounding at all, just stay silky smooth!

Only down side for me was they would not bolt right in the stock location because the magnet hit the top of the cabinet, I had to carve out an inch and a half square about 1/4" deep to get them to sit in place flat. Not a big deal but I wasn't expecting it. I emailed Bob Crites and he said it was the first he's heard of it, apparently they fit in the standard Heresy just fine. Driver locations on the HIP motor board may have been pushed up a bit because of the slot port on the bottom I'm guessing?

On 6/28/2016 at 5:11 PM, Deang said:

I guess I'm one of the few left that actually likes the K-77. Very forgiving, with a sonic signature the matches the K-55. I'm fine with it.

You should have said that you were one of few old fart holdouts left. LOL. For those who don't care to hear harmonics above 12 Khz.

19 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I haven't read through all of these pages here yet but wanted to say I just installed a pair of these in my HIP's and they sound incredible!! Way more open detailed airy, just about everything is 10x's better than the old k-77's that were in there. OK, I don't know about 10x's better but definitely night and day difference. Substantially more noticeable than the titanium tweeter upgrade in the forte / Chorus models. I've cranked these up a bit as well and they don't seem to get harsh sounding at all, just stay silky smooth!

Only down side for me was they would not bolt right in the stock location because the magnet hit the top of the cabinet, I had to carve out an inch and a half square about 1/4" deep to get them to sit in place flat. Not a big deal but I wasn't expecting it. I emailed Bob Crites and he said it was the first he's heard of it, apparently they fit in the standard Heresy just fine. Driver locations on the HIP motor board may have been pushed up a bit because of the slot port on the bottom I'm guessing?

You might want to consider converting the AA network in your HIPs (only if they are ported) to a Cornwall B network. See my Heretical Heresy posts on how to.

On 6/30/2016 at 6:46 PM, dtr20 said:

Is it similar to the difference between the stock klf-series tweeter diaphragms and the Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms? I absolutely love the upgraded tweeter diaphragms in my klf speakers. I'm trying to decide to upgrade or not. For $200+, I need to know what to expect before purchasing. It's not like the $50 titanium upgrade which was well worth the gamble, not to much risk. Thanks

If you have a "B" network in your Cornwalls, it's LITERALLY a drop-in. You will be amazed at the sound of cymbals.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You might want to consider converting the AA network in your HIPs (only if they are ported) to a Cornwall B network. See my Heretical Heresy posts on how to.

I just sent my crossovers in to Crites for a re-cap but he hasn't received them yet. I really like the sound they put out now and not sure I want to change that? They don't do much for bass but I have dual subs so the bass is handled more than adequately. I really love the sound of guitars, bass guitars and vocals with these speakers, they are so life like and incredible. I really like the fact that the horns are cranked up to a higher sensitivity as like I said I have the sub bass handled and really like the details the high sensitivity bring out of the source material.

I've listened to these tweeters for several hours now with lots of different material at various volumes and they're just incredible. I've never really thought of tweeters as adding that much to the sound but these just have to be heard to be believed. I give them an enthusiastic two thumbs up for anyone on the fence considering these.

The CT-120 is a fine modern crystal clear tweeter for sure, but the crossover it's paired up with makes a huge difference in how it behaves.  In the case of the AL-5 in my La Scala 2's, I found the CT-120 a little too hot above 8Khz and difficult to tame because it's SPL output steadily increases from 6Khz to 16Khz.  I tried some open-cell foam in the throat of the CT-120 to knock down SPL by about 3db across the entire frequency range of the tweeter (green line), but this resulted in missing dynamics in the 5khz to 8khz range and still too sizzly highs above 8Khz compared to the K77-D (blue line).  I guess I too am an old fart because I've been running the K77-D's now for the last two months or so.

solo CT120 vs K77.png

Yes, this reminds me that every situation is different. Currently I'm in a small room and my listening levels are no where near what they used to be at my old house. Casual listening for me now is in the upper 60db range, 67-68db? If I had these in a larger room and played them louder on a regular basis maybe my impressions would be different? All I can say is that they are working great for me here and now.