MDF... can it be repaired?

Schu

I would not use bondo. System 3 makes products that can repair and or replace anything made of wood and can be subsequently shaped or carved. Once it is dry it can be sanded, veneered, etc.. It is sold on Amazon as well as most home supply stores.

It will last longer than the original wood it replaces and you can paint it, nail into it and put screws in it just like real wood. Google System 3 to see if it will bond with MDF. You can call their tech line with questions

Edited by Wolfbane
  • Like 1

I've used West System epoxy on lots of wood but not MDF.  It is amazing how far it soaks into the wood!  Wood is like a straw with this stuff.  I've injected epoxy with a syringe into cracks like this until it won't fill anymore and then clamp.  Syringe is trashed with one use and you have to be quick.  Throw it in a metal can outside when done... the chemical reaction gets really hot and can combust.  

• Like 1

Curious how the pictured damage would affect sound ?? Other than cabinet resonance perhaps with the weaker corner ??

I took a pair of beat up Lascalas a few years ago and wrapped the cabinet with another 1/2 inch all the way around and made some solid hardwood trim for all the edges, You could pull away anything thet prevents the new panel from laying flat, glue down the new panel then fill any gaps between the panels at the edge, trim out the edges

It would make for a stiffer cabinet which theoretically equals less resonance