New hardware

John Warren

Ok.  After how many years?  A new autotransformer?  And why?

For those of you that are in to this sort of thing, I've decided to design and source a new autotransformer.  This is uglier than the ones offered by my friends but it is no less capable.  It was a design job for a customer and decided to work it into a new network (I own the design and sourced the supplier).  There are some advantages over resistor pads but that's another topic for discussion.  It's bi-filiar wound and pretty stout.

Link to page.

http://www.northreadingeng.com/baffle_insert/R2_Klipschorn_baffle_insert.html

post-864-0-00780000-1444040146_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

John.  I had no idea you work on vintage mac!!!.  This is great.

I have sent stuff to Terry Dewick for years as well as many of my audio buds.

I was at Terry's last fall.  He is moving very slow.....physically.  He gets way behind on work too.

It is nice to know of another option for the vintage stuff.  I'm gonna spread the word.....

great website BTW.

----------------------------

VINTAGE McINTOSH SOLID-STATE AMPLIFIER SERVICING
Although vintage McIntosh amplifiers are a well made and durable many of the components in the circuits are life-limited, having lives that depend on hours of use and operating temperature.  As parts "field-age" in service, they degrade and the symptoms of degradation manifest themselves as buzzing sounds, mains "hum", noise (distortion) and "loose" bass response.  

POPULAR VINTAGE MODELS WE SERVICE:
AMPLIFIERS

MC2105
MC2100
MC2505
MC250
MC100 
MC50

INTEGRATED AMPLIFIERS
MA5100
MA6100

PRE-AMPLIFIERS
Contact us to discuss your specific needs.

TUBE AMPLIFIERS
Contact us to discuss your specific needs.

Thank you sir!

Mr. Dewick is a real gentlemen and skilled technician.  He's been at it for quite some time.

There's really no better way to understand how something like an autotransformer works than to design and test one!  My supplier is a transformer company and although they've been winding coils for years, this sort of thing was new to them.  

Fun stuff!

post-864-0-95220000-1444094107_thumb.png

Edited by John Warren

Guest David H
Why are you smearing poop on your caps.

LOL :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:         Calvin???

Edited by GotHover

Now here's your chance to get into a good technical discussion related to network design and how it works with the horn assembly you take the discussion to the gutter.

Nice.

Besides, they're sitting in a pair of Klipschorns just outside of Portland, OR so not much I can do about it now.

Nice to know that someone can take a ribbing without melting down like a two year old.

Feel like telling us anything about it.

I am curious about that material John, does it solidify somewhat, like rubber?

Dear God man it's just RTV (Dow Corning 732) Black

(Christ, next time I'll use Grey).

I'm of the less technical here so bear with me.  Is this structural, to reduce vibration or have some other purpose?

I'm of the less technical here so bear with me.  Is this structural, to reduce vibration or have some other purpose?

It's just to keep them from rubbing, buzzing together.  The Silicone rubber can be removed without trashing the caps.

I don't like parts rubbing into each other when handled or shipped.

• Like 1

Its got to survive the KHorn good vibrations :rolleyes:

This is the baffle insert that the network was designed for.  It's a swap out of the factory Klipschorn assembly.  The Selenium horn is a nice unit and reasonable cost.  I noticed Bob Crites is selling a replacement tweeter based on a B&C driver.  I think that tweeter would be a nice, lower cost option to the Faital unit shown in the photo.

post-864-0-38220000-1444212526_thumb.png

post-864-0-90820000-1444212831_thumb.png

Edited by John Warren
  • Like 1