$125 La Scala - Oh Geeze! What have I got myself into now?

Matthews

I bought some Raw Birch LaScalas that had not been treated since the '84. I simply got some mineral oil and spread it all over the wood then let them marinate for about an hour before wiping dry. They now have a beautiful glow to them and its not necessarily a permanent option.

I've refinished my CF-4's but they had a nice veneer on them, so I used a golden oak stain and topped it with polyurethane, but of course I was keeping them.

I finished some DIY speakers with semi-gloss black over 3/4" MDF, two coats.  It gives a pretty good finished look (not furniture grade) and it takes less than a gallon of of $22 paint.  No spray can, use a good quality roller with 3/8" (fine) nap

I wasn't sure about the LS's because of the wood used.  I was assuming these would be purchased for use inside, not a garage.  For a living room I like the look of the wood, but that is all personal preference.  If the mineral oil would dress them up, that would be an economical finish that might look good. 

The problem is I don't know how bad the wood looks.  Black hides a lot of flaws.

+++

A solid suggestion by others ^^^ is to NOT finish and let the buyer have some options, but I'm thinking that will take at least $100 off the final selling price, unless you refuse to finish them and then add $100 since the unpainted wood is now a highly desirable "feature."  B)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

...this is how bad

OK, Ok, I'm convinced!  No more pictures, it's hurting my eyes!

Black paint it is.  :D

(another feature for which you can charge extra since black fits in with any decor)   :emotion-21:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Hard to give good advice when you don't know what you want to do with them. With this much damage to the wood, a clear coat or stain or coat of paint wont hide enough of the damage. These pigs need several applications of lipstick and possibly some perfume as well. The hard work you have done so far will look best with the Duratex finish that will hide most of the problem areas and will give you at least one style that looks finished. A style many find desirable.($36 @ PE including roller) A frat house did this to them and another frat house would be excited to get a functional road ready pair. There are plenty of frats in Columbia! If you want to take it a step further, bring them to my shop and we can wrap the perimeter in aluminum in less than an hour. Man cave (frat) approved look.  Just trying to find more work for you since you flew through the first 20 stages of this process. All of this free advice is worth every penny!

• Like 3

Hard to give good advice when you don't know what you want to do with them

I understand, Mookie.  The input from EVERYONE is much appreciated.  My own indecisiveness certainly does not help in bringing this to a conclusion. 

Here is the "hidden problem".  I need to get these done fast!  It is highly likely I will be driving to KC next weekend to get my old Scala's back.  The fella whom I sold them to is taking heat from a certain special person (aka - not WAF).  I made him an offer yesterday and he is to get back with me tomorrow.  There is just not room in my tiny little house for 4 La Scala, 2 Chorus & 2 R-115's.

To make it short, something is getting put on these cabinets tomorrow. I have plenty of poly on hand.  I have black spray paint, on hand.  The hardware store is mere minutes down the road for the changing of the mind (this happens often).

Or, perhaps you need a project, Sir Mookie :D   - bet you have some duratex laying around the shop...

Here is the "hidden problem". I need to get these done fast! It is highly likely I will be driving to KC next weekend to get my old Scala's back.

I see your problem.  You have put in a ton of work.  Eight hours of sanding, ie putting your nose within a few inches of wood with sawdust flying for eight hours is NOT as much fun as it sounds like.  :wacko:

With a deadline looming, I vote you do whatever is most expedient in your opinion that will maximize chances of getting a fast sale with a decent profit.  There really won't be any "profit" if you factor in the cost of your labor, so you are basically going to break even on these, if that.

Perfection is the enemy of good.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

If you have the time, and I know you don't have much of it, I say fill the cracks and voids with bondo, fiberglass, or wood filler, sand them smooth and paint them. Jimjimbo's look great painted. I think that would yield the best return on your investment.

• Like 1

That big center oil capacitor has got to be replaced but the small black capacitors are probably ok. I got some of those old black square ones and they test good still and they are old. I vote on filling the bad gouges with filler and leave them raw. You could get that old woofer fixed and sell it not sure how much to get it repaired though.

You seem to be having a lot of luck past few months. Got the Chorus then got the Scalas and now getting your old Scalas back. WOW.......Rick

• Like 1

You missed my point on the free advice being worth every penny! I was saying it is easy to come by and worth as much as you paid for it! Do whatever you think will work for you. There have been many good suggestions, you just need to pick one and go. I like Jim's idea of slow down and figure it out but now you have added the new dimension of time is of the essence. My last bit of "free advice" is: buy a bigger house and keep all of the speakers! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Other than slow this project down, I have no plans set in stone. I have spare K77Ms, K55Ms, crossovers, even an unopened quart of duratex and a roller, so I have lots of options to muddle through. At this point, I plan to wash the current crossovers and then burn them. No matter which direction I go, it will be slow and fun. Matt needs to go get his original Scalas back from Kansas City now. (I hear that guy has two pair he is trying to move!)

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1