Cool new USA based company / tube amps

joessportster

I have said nothing but nice things about his amps,

That may be so but....................................

Post 75 you said you didn't like his corporate BS and basically accused him of being dishonest.

Post 84 you were compelled to re-arrange his words for him.

Post 103 you felt the need to tell how sincerely disappointed you were in his choice of build.

Post 109 you referred to his (proposed) build as a turd.

All of these things could have been left out or expressed differently to get your point across.  There's been many discussions as of late of wanting to encourage new members with technical knowledge to participate in this forum.  In order for the tube section to thrive we need to make new members feel welcome, not critique them right off the bat.  Maynard worked hard to get this sub section into the forum and (even though I don't understand much of the technical jargon) I like it and would love to see it thrive as the synergy between tube amps and Klipsch speakers is something we all agree on.  Again, technical DISCUSSION is encouraged.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 4

xxJPMxx:

Im not agreeing with anyone on anything, what i am doing is admiring the knowhow and the Tweeks that follow, that helps everyone out.

JPM it sounds like you are talking from experience, instead of messin around here, start another thread focus on you're experience you have with all things tube, hell im up to pick up on something i did not know anytime.

Iv gotten knocked on my azz by HighVoltage more than one time when i was a kid, :o it took someone like you around to say, hey kid, dont touch that!!  

Edited by minermark

Then I like non-linearity. My favorite pre-amp at home has three 12AU7's in it. Not only does it sound phenomenal, Maynard was extremely impressed with how it measured on his scope.

Some people like the added distortion. Besides we don't know any details of that circuit, it could have feedback, or it could simply cut down on distortion by just moving the volume control :D  

Here is the issue with that schematic. The volume control is at the output and today's sources put out 1-2Vrms. I count with that load line 30V swing at the plate from -2 to 0v and 20V swing from -2 to -4. So you have a source say putting out 4V peak to peak (1.4Vrms) and you have a amp hooked up with an input Z of 100k, You are going to get 48V peak to peak (17Vrms) w/ 3% THD. Then you are going to attenuate that 17Vrms down to 1Vrms to drive the input of the amp. So you have gone from 1.4Vrms to 1Vrms and added 3% THD distortion. Not a great design. Most people only need a volume control w/ buffer for today's sources to drive today's amps.

Green line is the load, blue dot is the operating point.

smx4gRX.png

Just a thought here JPM, i build a few things here and there and if you would have chimed in on me with this techie stuff, hell i would have sent you one to experiment with, tune/chart it anyway way you wish and send it back, sometimes another tech or two hands on maybe better in the end, maybe not.

I think a lot of builders on this forum have gained perfection at the hands of anothers input, id make nice with ToolShedAmp. 

If I shell out $2800 for a Genesis 6, can I ask for upgraded speaker terminals (like, say, WBT's)?  I'm sure they have zero effect on the sound, but from a purely cosmetic standpoint there are much better choices than those $3 RatShack parts bin lookalikes that are on the back panels of Toolshed Audio's (otherwise beautifully finished) amps.

If I shell out $2800 for a Genesis 6, can I ask for upgraded speaker terminals (like, say, WBT's)?  I'm sure they have zero effect on the sound, but from a purely cosmetic standpoint there are much better choices than those $3 RatShack parts bin lookalikes that are on the back panels of Toolshed Audio's (otherwise beautifully finished) amps.

Hi Krispy Kirk,

The binding posts I use are actually REAL plated Copper, as much as I'd like to use the WBT Chinese "Knock-offs" to visually make everyone feel better, I believe they use a plated STEEL core. As for the "real-deal", I doubt very much you would be willing to pay the difference. Please see the link below.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/WBT-74485.html

Cheers!

Matt.

BTW, the binding posts I use cost $26.00 ea. Any customer can upgrade anything they would like and only be charged the difference at "cost". :)

• Like 1

Kirk, please restrict vendor type sales questions to PM, thank you.  TSA, if you would reply in like, that would be good as well.

Thanks, Carl.

Sorry Carl,

Feeling "beat up on lately" :(

It's all good my friend.  Thanks for your contributions.

• Like 1

When is the sequel

Sequel?  LOL :P

Well, it has not been brought up until now, but...

as of today, Matt of Tool Shed has agreed to custom build me a pre-amplifier (not to be confused with the other pre thread) to match my custom built G6.  WooHoo!!! getting excited about tubes again   -Thanks Matt, of Tool Shed Audio- WooHoo...

Stay tuned all :emotion-21:

edit: get back to work Matt :ph34r:

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 2

When is the sequel

Sequel?  LOL :P

Well, it has not been brought up until now, but...

as of today, Matt of Tool Shed has agreed to custom build me a pre-amplifier (not to be confused with the other pre thread) to match my custom built G6.  WooHoo!!! getting excited about tubes again   -Thanks Matt, of Tool Shed Audio- WooHoo...

Stay tuned all :emotion-21:

Matthews, Brother enjoy the music...I cannot wait to hear what you are hearing :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Kirk, please restrict vendor type sales questions to PM, thank you.  TSA, if you would reply in like, that would be good as well.

Thanks, Carl.

No problem Carl, the question was purely rhetorical.  I have no intention of replacing my Response Audio Bella EXtreme Platinum 3205 tube integrated with Tool Shed amplifier.  I was merely pointing out that the choice of output terminals appeared less than optimal given the asking price.  The answer I got was exactly what I expected: "You want the good stuff?  You can't AFFORD the good stuff!"

Much respect by the way for the job you and the other moderators do around here.  I was a moderator at a (now-defunct) drumming equipment manufacturer's forum for the better part of a decade and I've seen it all.  We should compare notes sometime.  The topics and the forums may change but the trolls are always the same wherever you go!

I think I may be done here.
I think you may haven taken it wrong Matt. I hope you stay, it would be the forums loss if you are done.

NOOOO!!!  :angry:

Matt, you are a great asset to this forum.  Please don't let the opinion of one or two sway you to go.  It is only by being an active member, asking questions and looking for direction I have been able to develop and continue to build on this beloved hobby.  Ultimately, this forum is how I found you and Tool Shed Audio. Through the direction of some trusted members, I was enlightened, freely given advice and guided.  If it were not for the forum, it would have been the blind leading the blind.   Remember, tube dummy here...

Some on here will anger you and try to get under your skin.  I ignore and accept them for what they are. 

Don't let one or two rotten apples spoil the bunch!!!

Stay, my friend !!!

I think I may be done here.

Matt, everyone on the forum occasionally has some "darts" thrown at them.  Big deal!!!  When that occurs you at least know that your comments are being read- much better than being ignored!  I think you should hang around.  It's really a fun place, and the guys who hang out in this forum section are, of course, the nicest!  Now, watch the "darts" which will get thrown at me for saying that!!!!! :D :D :D

Maynard

• Like 1