Black Friday Previews at Best Buy - Some Klipsch 1/2 Off

Mighty Favog

Since I own one of the "Lower Lines"--the despicable Synergy F-20--I can speak to the harsh tweeter issue.

I think it depends on the related equipment you play the speakers on--but my speakers DO NOT have a harsh tweeter at all.

They sound pretty good but could be better because the GUTS--the un-named electric parts inside--SUCK.

That's why I'm having my GUTS redone---I'm expecting them to sound even better when I get my new and

Improved Guts back.  Too bad Klipsch took a System like this and used 5 dollar parts for the guts--they

have real potential for sounding very good--I'll keep the forum posted after my mods are done.

I don't know if Klipsch used the same cheap parts in the Best Buy Line.

The Synergy line predated the Icon, which predated the "Reference" at Best Buy.

However, I will say first generation Synergy speakers were TOTALLY different from the later generation. The SB-3 is still one of the best budget speakers I have ever heard.

The R-26F I heard was being powered by a Pioneer Elite model (I don't remember which, but my mind is wanting to say the SC-92). He also had the matching center and surrounds with an R-12SW. The bass on the sub was muddy, the center channel was flat for half of the dialogue it was passed. The surrounds were alright. The entire setup was not my cup of tea, but the guy loved them - so whatever. My RF-3 configuration would steam roll that setup any day of the week unmodified.

That being said, at half off if someone wanted to buy new...this is a great deal. Just don't get bent out of shape or injured over it like some people do on that wretched day.

I have a sold a ton of Klipsch speaker to try different ones but, kept my VF 15's which have an aluminum tweeter.  Different strokes for different folks.  I wish I would have kept the Icon VF 36, center and surround compare to what I paid.  This was the first Klipsch BB large series of speakers and Klipsch needed to make a good face in the mass marketing big box stores.  The flower or smooth horn gave them a special smooth sound characteristic. 

To bad the Icon W and X lines  like the V series were short lived.  The then Reference speakers gave them a serious run for the money.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Personally, I am not a fan of that BB value line at all. The speakers are harsh and tinny to me though. I find the SB, KSB and even the B series speakers in both tower and bookshelf blow these away. 

At the BB special half off it makes them a decent choice. Good starter package I guess for an entry level. Then again, for the fact that the B, SB and KSB lines sell in good used condition for less than the BB prices I would search Ebay instead.

I went and gave a short listen to the r-26fs this afternoon while doing some of my xmas shopping. To me, they have a clean, slightly bright sound to them. Of course, BB is not the ideal listening space ( especially for bass tones ), but even so the bass was clean and tight. Imaging wasn't bad considering thier poor placement. Overall they were pleasant to listen to despite the less than ideal conditions. I wouldn't pay the full price for them though ( especially when the Reference Premieres aren't much more pricewise ), but for the Black Friday 1/2 off price IMO they are a good deal ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I chose to pick up the R-26F's to see how they would sound in my listening space. Worse comes to worse I can always return them.

The most noticable difference was the bass...I can definitely listen to music w/o my sub ;). The highs were similar to my R-15M's, but the overall tonal balance was better. That slighty bright sound I heard at BB became "sweet" in my space. Imaging was a lot better since I can position them better ;).

Home auditioning IS the best route to test speakers. So far, I find the R-26F's to be a well-balanced, clean-sounding speaker...worth the 1/2 off BF sale.

Next step, maybe use my R-15M as rears? see how movies sound ;)...