What Exactly is Terrorism?

Jim Naseum

I think I am hearing Zen and Travis propose that since documents don't always (or may seldomly) predict terrorism, we should allow undocumented people to come here.

Thats a good point. Lets have a National ID. On it would be your immigration status, handgun status, whether you have paid fees for your pets, if you have filed your tax returns, child support and anything else you want to add.

Everyone is documented.

Require everinenthat visits here to have a chip implanted so we can track em everywhere they go.

By God if we are too stupid to understand the freedoms we have we can sure change that in a hurry. Hpw dare we let anyone in, we are nuts. Next thing you know the Scottish will want to come.

I say build a wall and don't let anybody come in.

By the way, Saudi Airlines has direct flights to 3 major cities over there from 3 cities in the USA.

I grew up without all this terrorist BS occurring here. If you are used to it or numb to it, I feel very sorry for you because you missed out on a much better way of life.

I think the terror was just focused on other people, wasn't it? We terrorized Indians, then slaves, then blacks during the KKK days. They were certainly terrorists, right?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Well if you feel guilty for your deeds, make amends.  I am constantly kicking Germans in the head.

Sent from my block of Kraft Cheese using a talking Tilapia      

I think I am hearing Zen and Travis propose that since documents don't always (or may seldomly) predict terrorism, we should allow undocumented people to come here.

Thats a good point. Lets have a National ID. On it would be your immigration status, handgun status, whether you have paid fees for your pets, if you have filed your tax returns, child support and anything else you want to add.

Everyone is documented.

Require everinenthat visits here to have a chip implanted so we can track em everywhere they go.

By God if we are too stupid to understand the freedoms we have we can sure change that in a hurry. Hpw dare we let anyone in, we are nuts. Next thing you know the Scottish will want to come.

By the way, Saudi Airlines has direct flights to 3 major cities over there from 3 cities in the USA.

I grew up without all this terrorist BS occurring here. If you are used to it or numb to it, I feel very sorry for you because you missed out on a much better way of life.
I think the terror was just focused on other people, wasn't it? We terrorized Indians, then slaves, then blacks during the KKK days. They were certainly terrorists, right?

Well if you feel guilty for your deeds, make amends. I am constantly kicking Germans in the head.

Sent from my block of Kraft Cheese using a talking Tilapia

My deeds? No, I didn't shoot any Indians, or lynch anyone, or blow up any churches. I am not a terrorist, or killer. I don't even enjoy putting bullets into the brains of elks or elephants or lions or ducks, for the purpose of decorating my den. Maybe you misunderstood my post? Did you read it?

A neighbor took me hunting in 1971. He gave me a nifty rifle with a scope and all. We carefully trekked the woods until..... There it was... A nice buck with quite a good set of antlers. He pointed, we stopped, I aimed through the scope. And then saw the face of life I was about to erase, and put the barrel down. "Let's go home, George. This is not for me."

I'm sure however that I have hurt people's feelings. But not by violence. I say, let's all read more carefully! Lolo!

Edited by MrCatsup

So far I see a lot of fear mongering, political gamesmanship and posturing, and very little substance. I see no real solutions.

Just thoughts and prayers.

One persons "thoughts and prayers" is another's "we need to make these guns more difficult to obtain by passing another law".  Both statements may appear futile and self serving by those who deliver them. 

The condescending cover which says "God Isn't Fixing This", mocking those who offer thoughts and prayers, is slow to point out that this happened in one of the most gun restrictive states in the union.  The headline could equally have said "Gun Laws Aren't Fixing This."  Then all the tweets of those  politicians who are clamoring for two or three more gun laws, which would make it that much "extra illegal" to kill innocent people, could have been used to drive the point home. 

"They broke 27 laws, if we just pass two more, it will stop them in their tracks, vote for me in 2016."  Go get 'em tiger - you're really onto something.

Those gun free zone signs are a slam dunk too, people just don't violate those...

Thoughts and prayers or gun free zones... I know which one I'd like more of.

• Like 1

The planned parenthood shooting was absolutely terrorism.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2015/11/notes-on-act-of-domestic-terrorism.html?m=1

Now that was funny. Great opinion piece, and what little factual material he included, is entirely factual.
This is what you will never hear:

Robert Dear was a terrorist who was radicalized by reactionary propagandists who are on AM radio 24/7 in every major market in the USA.

• Moderators

One must wonder if there is actually a desire in this administration to prevent terrorism at all. It's hard to conceive.

Generally speaking, I think it's pretty well established that the government likes a good boogeyman and typically is in no hurry to completely get rid of them.

Pay attention to what Russia has been saying recently. They're in there now bombing all they can, while saying that our government has been lying, that they haven't really been bombing targets like they claim. Why would they say such a thing if it were false? They have no reason to tick us off about this. If anything we should be working together, yet according to them, we even leaked the flight path of their plane that got shot down.

If you know about this, then you know more than you are letting out. And so do I.

Who is really the terrorists in all this?

A year into fighting people who cut off the heads of innocent people we find an old adversary taking the lead role and doing more in a month that what we ever accomplished. But instead of joining them in the fight, we allow a NATO country to shoot down one of their jets while it conducts their nations very effective missions against our common enemy???? And now we are discovering (at least those who look at where the facts lead are discovering) that a NATO country may be helping to finance our enemy by purchasing their stolen oil?

Again, who is really the terrorist? And who here cannot stand to see the truth?

Infowars! I can't subscribe to that. However, I think the whole thing is party-driven, think-tank crap run by complete idiots who have no business being entrusted with national security.

Yiu are being pretty tough on Condi, she was doing her best, and I think she isnpretty smart.

I hope she gets the National Championship payoff team selections right.

We disagree on Condi. Smart? Perhaps in some ways. National security? Not so much.
Well there you have it. I think you are probably right, but she was way smarter than the guy who hired her which I guess is what really matters.

Apparently so, if what they are saying about foretelling the WTC attacks is true. However, after 9/11, it has been very, very clear. There is no room left for debate anymore - zip, zero, nada, zilch. They are intent on inflicting major terrorism over here. I think it's the fool who ignores clearly-expressed intent. How on earth will they be able to say, "We didn't see it coming?"

Who is "they"? I thought the "they" is different from the "they" in 9/11. And I thought.

No room for debate? You must not have had to try and get anything accomplished for a client in Washington. did you watch the 911 Commission Hearings on C-Span, I did. About the only thing that wasn't subject to debate was the date of occurrence.

Then you had all of the nuts come out, like they always do, and the "they" became a conspiracy between the original "they" and the Administration and/or the CIA, and/or (fill in the blank).

Here is the key, the "they" have always been around, throughout history, when one "they" is defeated, eliminated or dies out, another "they" pops up to take "theys" place. There will always be a "they", there is too much profit in it.

The condescending cover which says "God Isn't Fixing This", mocking those who offer thoughts and prayers, is slow to point out that this happened in one of the most gun restrictive states in the union. The headline could equally have said "Gun Laws Aren't Fixing This." Then all the tweets of those politicians who are clamoring for two or three more gun laws, which would make it that much "extra illegal" to kill innocent people, could have been used to drive the point home. "They broke 27 laws, if we just pass two more, it will stop them in their tracks, vote for me in 2016." Go get 'em tiger - you're really onto something. Those gun free zone signs are a slam dunk too, people just don't violate those... Thoughts and prayers or gun free zones... I know which one I'd like more of.

Didn't you read what the MOD wrote about not bringing up Guns? Seriously, My guess is that given these shooters had Kevlar vests and semi-automatic weapons if anyone would have pulled out their gun they would've been shot. Of course if everyone had semi-automatic weapons and Kevlar vests it would be a different story and a different America.

One must wonder if there is actually a desire in this administration to prevent terrorism at all. It's hard to conceive.

Generally speaking, I think it's pretty well established that the government likes a good boogeyman and typically is in no hurry to completely get rid of them.

Pay attention to what Russia has been saying recently. They're in there now bombing all they can, while saying that our government has been lying, that they haven't really been bombing targets like they claim. Why would they say such a thing if it were false? They have no reason to tick us off about this. If anything we should be working together, yet according to them, we even leaked the flight path of their plane that got shot down.

If you know about this, then you know more than you are letting out. And so do I.

Who is really the terrorists in all this?

A year into fighting people who cut off the heads of innocent people we find an old adversary taking the lead role and doing more in a month that what we ever accomplished. But instead of joining them in the fight, we allow a NATO country to shoot down one of their jets while it conducts their nations very effective missions against our common enemy???? And now we are discovering (at least those who look at where the facts lead are discovering) that a NATO country may be helping to finance our enemy by purchasing their stolen oil?

Again, who is really the terrorist? And who here cannot stand to see the truth?

Infowars! I can't subscribe to that. However, I think the whole thing is party-driven, think-tank crap run by complete idiots who have no business being entrusted with national security.

Yiu are being pretty tough on Condi, she was doing her best, and I think she isnpretty smart.

I hope she gets the National Championship payoff team selections right.

We disagree on Condi. Smart? Perhaps in some ways. National security? Not so much.
Well there you have it. I think you are probably right, but she was way smarter than the guy who hired her which I guess is what really matters.

Apparently so, if what they are saying about foretelling the WTC attacks is true. However, after 9/11, it has been very, very clear. There is no room left for debate anymore - zip, zero, nada, zilch. They are intent on inflicting major terrorism over here. I think it's the fool who ignores clearly-expressed intent. How on earth will they be able to say, "We didn't see it coming?"

Who is "they"? I thought the "they" is different from the "they" in 9/11. And I thought.

No room for debate? You must not have had to try and get anything accomplished for a client in Washington. did you watch the 911 Commission Hearings on C-Span, I did. About the only thing that wasn't subject to debate was the date of occurrence.

Then you had all of the nuts come out, like they always do, and the "they" became a conspiracy between the original "they" and the Administration and/or the CIA, and/or (fill in the blank).

Here is the key, the "they" have always been around, throughout history, when one "they" is defeated, eliminated or dies out, another "they" pops up to take "theys" place. There will always be a "they", there is too much profit in it.

I don't remember too many "theys" when I was growing up.  I am quite certain violence in America has escalated since then.

The planned parenthood shooting was absolutely terrorism.

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2015/11/notes-on-act-of-domestic-terrorism.html?m=1

Now that was funny. Great opinion piece, and what little factual material he included, is entirely factual.
This is what you will never hear:

Robert Dear was a terrorist who was radicalized by reactionary propagandists who are on AM radio 24/7 in every major market in the USA.

How was he radicalized?  I don't hear explicit calls of "death to the abortionists."  But I could be wrong.  I just don't think that kind of inciteful speech is even allowed in America... certainly not on public radio stations.

September 11, 2001 was a wake-up call and when we went into Afghanistan we had most of the world on our side and as allies....When we changed the mission and invaded Iraq we became part of the problem---This current terrorism is because we didn't change the dynamics when we could....Not to make this any more political than it need be look at who we had for allies in that mission and then see who left us when we *liberated* Iraq....What this thread is missing is a real understanding between the difference between the Shiites and the Sunnis and how the Middle East and surrounding areas changed with that one decision....

• Moderators

Everyone is documented.

You did? You were here before Aryan Nation, the KKK, Whitman on top of the tower, the bombing of the Olympics in Atlanta, Oklahoma City.

You are one of the most well read and articulate people on here. You just seem to want to define terrorism as only being caused by people from a certain geographical area. I understand the reasons for that as being important for logical argument in debate, but that is why I keep going back to was last week an act of terrorism in Colorado?

If it wasn't then we all need to go back to the OP and figure out what terrorism is and what isn't. This is vitally important because "We" as in "the people" seem to be very reticent about our rights and personal privacy when they erode in the name of the war on terrorism.

If last week was an act of terrorism then it makes it a much more difficult problem to deal with, because any solution has to be palatable along a wide width of the political spectrum and that isn't going to happen.

You are the great voice of libertarianism, and that is the most difficult dance of all, because to go after terrorists, whether domestic or foreign, requires an expansion of government. For some it is good expansion, for others it has gone way to far already, for still others any government expansion is bad.

OKC was clearly terrorism, it became political the moment it was announced. You take a look at the people who had to retreat from their initial comments and conclusions they made. I think the current buzz word the that is "walk back."

When I was growing up we called it being "in error", "wrong" "mispoken" "jumping to conclusions" and it bore on a person's credibility. Now they just walk back and move on.

Good post and it's hard to believe you only have 1,000 more before you can actually get into political debates on the Klipsch forum. ;)

I too paid attention to the 9/11 commission hearings and there is a reason no one is using the previous administration as a beacon of successful Terrorist campaign except for the internal surveillance that the NSA did--Admittedly, some I agree with but some I thought was  over the line...

Everyone is documented.

You did? You were here before Aryan Nation, the KKK, Whitman on top of the tower, the bombing of the Olympics in Atlanta, Oklahoma City.

You are one of the most well read and articulate people on here. You just seem to want to define terrorism as only being caused by people from a certain geographical area. I understand the reasons for that as being important for logical argument in debate, but that is why I keep going back to was last week an act of terrorism in Colorado?

If it wasn't then we all need to go back to the OP and figure out what terrorism is and what isn't. This is vitally important because "We" as in "the people" seem to be very reticent about our rights and personal privacy when they erode in the name of the war on terrorism.

If last week was an act of terrorism then it makes it a much more difficult problem to deal with, because any solution has to be palatable along a wide width of the political spectrum and that isn't going to happen.

You are the great voice of libertarianism, and that is the most difficult dance of all, because to go after terrorists, whether domestic or foreign, requires an expansion of government. For some it is good expansion, for others it has gone way to far already, for still others any government expansion is bad.

OKC was clearly terrorism, it became political the moment it was announced. You take a look at the people who had to retreat from their initial comments and conclusions they made. I think the current buzz word the that is "walk back."

When I was growing up we called it being "in error", "wrong" "mispoken" "jumping to conclusions" and it bore on a person's credibility. Now they just walk back and move on.

I am too young for the KKK stuff.  I was born in 1968 and grew up through the 1970's. During that time, I don't remember too many of these mass atrocities happening in the US.  Nowadays, it seems like every month, there is something.  I maintain something has changed, and the younger generation has members who are more vicious and violent than ever.

• Moderators

As far as I know, political correctness is not part of law enforcement.

I suppose you never waited in those TSA lines in the airport? Never read-up on the outcry against "racial profiling?"

How does all that connect? Racial profiling is against the law as a violation of equal protection.

Not in an airport it isn't or within 50 miles of a border by a customs on border official.
So are you saying the 14 th amendment doesn't apply there? Or, by simple practicality all the people at the southern border are Mexican?

You can profile people at an airport. There is clear case law on that. I guess you never watched Miami Vice. They can sniff your luggage, check your bags, decide who gets a more extensive search. It was commonplace in the mints after 9/11.

Have you ever driven theough the immigration inspection coming back from TJ, or an AG inspection into California, or back from Vegas. Those are "border" crossing inspection stations. The Rhenquist Court, and way before, said LE could develop profiles to select whose car gets pulled out of line for a full inspection.

Away from an airport or border it is absolutely illegal to pull a vehicle over or stop someone based on profiling. In addition, "he fit the profile" is no longer a means to establish reasonable suspicion or probable cause.