What Exactly is Terrorism?

Jim Naseum

What do police have to have to go up for a "knock and talk", obtain a search warrant, to question someone, to bring them in for questioning.

Would they have found anything illegal if the owner consented to the search?

I saw two men standing outside Nieman Marcus last night speaking Farsi, one was on a cell phone, maybe I should have called it in?

Seems to me that a recent trip to Saudi, and a stash of AK-type semi-auto rifles in California, might be considered to be a red flag.

Regardless, what exactly is the point of police / FBI / NSA if they can never prevent anything? Might as well just admit what most people know anyway - police are primarily there to clean up the mess afterwards.

Completely true. All the NSA spying and terror lists and TSA and all the rest is for cleaning up after the fact. This guy looked like any of a million people up until he walk in with the gun. And that is typical, not exceptional. 

It really seems like the "intelligence" community is doing it's job.

I mean doesn't the NSA invade our privacy to prevent this sort of tragedy?

Glad you brought that up. The common belief is that yes, the NSA is listening to thwart terrorists. But that isn't why they are listening. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the Boston bombings, and yesterday wouldn't have happened.

Frankly, the government really doesn't give a crap about islamist extremism/terrorism/workplace violence/the patriot movement or any other descriptive they can come up with. If they did, gangs would have been eradicated decades ago.

What the government cares about is power and money. Keep that in mind and you'll understand why the NSA is listening. Threaten THEIR power, or interfere with THEIR ability to collect money and you'll be on their radar.

You're on to it now! 

Which is why I mock the sending out of T&P all the time. It's blatently insincere. 

The fact is, society is programmed by government and by convenient extension, the complicit media. THIS=BAD. So a lot of people think it is bad. THIS=NOT BAD. So a lot of people think it isn't bad. Even though events may prove otherwise. It's only those that are willing to dig a big deeper that know all the truths.

Of course.  This is the way people work.  It's how we are socialized.  If you were walking in a creek and picked up a big gold nugget, you'd be jumping for joy.  Why?  Because somebody told you THIS = DESIRABLE.  This kind of behavior is not "Big Brother."  It is just merely "brother."  No big deal.  No giant conspiracy there. 

What do police have to have to go up for a "knock and talk", obtain a search warrant, to question someone, to bring them in for questioning.

Would they have found anything illegal if the owner consented to the search?

I saw two men standing outside Nieman Marcus last night speaking Farsi, one was on a cell phone, maybe I should have called it in?

Seems to me that a recent trip to Saudi, and a stash of AK-type semi-auto rifles in California, might be considered to be a red flag.

Regardless, what exactly is the point of police / FBI / NSA if they can never prevent anything? Might as well just admit what most people know anyway - police are primarily there to clean up the mess afterwards.

Completely true. All the NSA spying and terror lists and TSA and all the rest is for cleaning up after the fact. This guy looked like any of a million people up until he walk in with the gun. And that is typical, not exceptional. 

... and to contain from further violence.   And to submit to prosecution...

It's going to be quite an adjustment to live in an occupied country. That's all I'm saying. 

Totally agree.  That's exactly where we are headed.  We can either try things like protectionism to attempt to thwart it, or we can sit back with open minds and enjoy political correctness while we turn ourselves into Israel/Palestine. 

There's a shot out of the blue. As far as I know, political correctness is not part of law enforcement, or the sale of guns. Last I know of, gun shops only care if you can pay, and pass the various b/g requirement. Cops will blow anyone's door down to serve a warrant no matter what you like to be called as an identity. 

I've never yet figured out why so many Americans resent the idea that people want to define their own identity.

Have you ever been in San Bernardino?

She lives in Mojave in a Winnebago

His name is Bobby, he looks like a potato

You may think they're

Dumb an' lonely

But you're wrong

'Cause their love is strong

• Like 1

• Moderators

Police seem to keep ramping up their militarization to keep pace with the armament of civilians.

The town I live in just got given some military surplus anti-land mine people movers. They're huge. They look like a giant bulldozer or something. And the police department said they would be using the giant vehicles... Yes more than one! For drug raids or hostage situtations...

They wear Kevlar vests and camo to feel more bada$$ than they really are. You're a cop, not some rainbow 6 warrior.

There is a greay documentary about this valled Peace Officer. Clithing used, machines provided for free, wtc. Manner of searches, SWAT teams.

I saw it with our local police union president and the Chief of Police. It was well done, points on both sides.

I just read a pretty good book about police militarization, I will post title on that as well.

I

One must wonder if there is actually a desire in this administration to prevent terrorism at all. It's hard to conceive. Refugees being brought in but not being screened thoroughly? A porous border?

Or let's assume our security apparatus' are genuinely working to identify threats and eliminate them - then why would these things be said:

"ISIS is contained." Just prior to the Paris attacks.

"There is no imminent threat." Just a week ago.

Does anyone in the media have the guts to ask the questions regarding those statements vs. reality? No.

I've never yet figured out why so many Americans resent the idea that people want to define their own identity.

It's far more complex than that.  We carry all kinds of definitions.  When it's national politics, it's Reds v. Blues.  When it's football, it's Texans vs. Colts.  When it's our combined safety against terrorists, it's (fill in the blank, and watch the Shiite spew).

As far as I know, political correctness is not part of law enforcement.

I suppose you never waited in those TSA lines in the airport?  Never read-up on the outcry against "racial profiling?"

How does all that connect? Racial profiling is against the law as a violation of equal protection. 

It's far more complex than that.  We carry all kinds of definitions.  When it's national politics, it's Reds v. Blues.  When it's football, it's Texans vs. Colts.  When it's our combined safety against terrorists, it's (fill in the blank, and watch the Shiite spew).

We can't get into it here. But, I feel like you are conflating two very different ideas. 

One must wonder if there is actually a desire in this administration to prevent terrorism at all. It's hard to conceive. Refugees being brought in but not being screened thoroughly? A porous border?

Or let's assume our security apparatus' are genuinely working to identify threats and eliminate them - then why would these things be said:

"ISIS is contained." Just prior to the Paris attacks.

"There is no imminent threat." Just a week ago.

Does anyone in the media have the guts to ask the questions regarding those statements vs. reality? No.

Because you have a lying, policy-driven, ideological administration which will say or do anything to further its agenda regardless of the events and occurrences which reality throws to the people.  The answer is, "No.  There is no desire to combat terrorism if to do so would hamper "greater policy."

this administration

All administrations. Do a fact check, please. In the period 2001 to 2008 Visas were being handed out to virtually ANYONE from the ME.  Free travel INTO this country is a mandatory need of the corporate business interests. You could never, ever, ever, even slow down that process. The CoC lobby will primary those legislators before they could say "boo."

As far as I know, political correctness is not part of law enforcement.

I suppose you never waited in those TSA lines in the airport?  Never read-up on the outcry against "racial profiling?"

How does all that connect? Racial profiling is against the law as a violation of equal protection. 

Right.  Just like "hate" crimes are against the law, too.  We were speaking about political correctness.

Why do all these police wear military desert camouflage?

Have you ever been in San Bernardino?

Many times. I live in SoCal. I bought my last car about a mile from the shooting sight. 

That's where they take

All the cars that they hurt

Come on and let's all go down to San Ber'dino,

I thought those guys were military???