What Exactly is Terrorism?

Jim Naseum

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” - Mark Twain

Are you suggesting that all poor people in raggedy clothes are bums on welfare? 

No sir. I was suggesting that when you dress like an army soldier, you are an army soldier. 

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” - Mark Twain

No sir. I was suggesting that when you dress like an army soldier, you are an army soldier. 

There certainly isn't much difference between the two.  Didn't you see all the footage showing how our soldiers are essentially police in foreign lands?  It's what they do.  Not all that surprising to me.

• Moderators

FBI is taking over investigation.

Let's hope they solve it faster than Patty Hearst, or Whitey Bolger.

SLA was a terrorist group. I think they solved it quick, it was a matter of apprehension, same for Whitey.

The US Marshalls seem to always get their man, or lady, sooner or later.

I cannot believe they are remaking Point Break, maybe the chase and hunt makes for great Hollywood stuff.

There certainly isn't much difference between the two.  Didn't you see all the footage showing how our soldiers are essentially police in foreign lands?  It's what they do.  Not all that surprising to me.

I'm still taken aback a little. In California, cops always wore blue until about 14 years ago. Then Army green started creeping in, then desert camos and now full blown "Iraq Invasion Gear" from head to toe. There were pictures yesterday in San Bernardino that were indistinguishable from shots I saw in Fallujah. 

It's going to be quite an adjustment to live in an occupied country. That's all I'm saying. 

FBI is taking over investigation.

Let's hope they solve it faster than Patty Hearst, or Whitey Bolger.

SLA was a terrorist group. I think they solved it quick, it was a matter of apprehension, same for Whitey.

The US Marshalls seem to always get their man, or lady, sooner or later.

I cannot believe they are remaking Point Break, maybe the chase and hunt makes for great Hollywood stuff.

If you mean burning down the club house of the SLA, that was the LAPD. The FBI came in to hunt for Patty Hurst afterwords. And how can you call the Bolger case "quick." Yeah, apprehension is sort of the point, isn't it? If there are more to this event, don't we want them apprehended pronto?

It's going to be quite an adjustment to live in an occupied country. That's all I'm saying. 

Totally agree.  That's exactly where we are headed.  We can either try things like protectionism to attempt to thwart it, or we can sit back with open minds and enjoy political correctness while we turn ourselves into Israel/Palestine. 

What do police have to have to go up for a "knock and talk", obtain a search warrant, to question someone, to bring them in for questioning.

Would they have found anything illegal if the owner consented to the search?

I saw two men standing outside Nieman Marcus last night speaking Farsi, one was on a cell phone, maybe I should have called it in?

Seems to me that a recent trip to Saudi, and a stash of AK-type semi-auto rifles in California, might be considered to be a red flag.

Regardless, what exactly is the point of police / FBI / NSA if they can never prevent anything? Might as well just admit what most people know anyway - police are primarily there to clean up the mess afterwards.

• Like 3

It really seems like the "intelligence" community is doing it's job.

I mean doesn't the NSA invade our privacy to prevent this sort of tragedy?

Glad you brought that up. The common belief is that yes, the NSA is listening to thwart terrorists. But that isn't why they are listening. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the Boston bombings, and yesterday wouldn't have happened.

Frankly, the government really doesn't give a crap about islamist extremism/terrorism/workplace violence/the patriot movement or any other descriptive they can come up with. If they did, gangs would have been eradicated decades ago.

What the government cares about is power and money. Keep that in mind and you'll understand why the NSA is listening. Threaten THEIR power, or interfere with THEIR ability to collect money and you'll be on their radar.

• Like 2

What do police have to have to go up for a "knock and talk", obtain a search warrant, to question someone, to bring them in for questioning.

Would they have found anything illegal if the owner consented to the search?

I saw two men standing outside Nieman Marcus last night speaking Farsi, one was on a cell phone, maybe I should have called it in?

Seems to me that a recent trip to Saudi, and a stash of AK-type semi-auto rifles in California, might be considered to be a red flag.

Regardless, what exactly is the point of police / FBI / NSA if they can never prevent anything? Might as well just admit what most people know anyway - police are primarily there to clean up the mess afterwards.

Remember you will never hear about (or hear very little about) the ones they prevent.  No one cares.  The neighbor said he thought they were acting suspicious over the last week.  He was quoted as saying that he was concerned enough to call the authorities, but he was afraid he would appear racist.

There is a balance, tattle tales are obnoxious, but thoughtful proactive citizens appear to be stifled by political correctness.  Imagine a knock on the door pre-empting this.  It would have been hard to do, they likely wouldn't have had enough for a warrant right away, things would probably be disposed of quickly, if they were of the mindset, they could likely sue for harassment, but possibly 14 innocent people are alive today.

Ultimately we don't know.

It really seems like the "intelligence" community is doing it's job.

I mean doesn't the NSA invade our privacy to prevent this sort of tragedy?

Glad you brought that up. The common belief is that yes, the NSA is listening to thwart terrorists. But that isn't why they are listening. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the Boston bombings, and yesterday wouldn't have happened.

Frankly, the government really doesn't give a crap about islamist extremism/terrorism/workplace violence/the patriot movement or any other descriptive they can come up with. If they did, gangs would have been eradicated decades ago.

What the government cares about is power and money. Keep that in mind and you'll understand why the NSA is listening. Threaten THEIR power, or interfere with THEIR ability to collect money and you'll be on their radar.

It would appear so. The NSA seems to be better at gathering information to target the correct advertising to you rather than what it's supposed to be doing.

Yes. Less armed. There's NO reason for cops to have anti land mine raid vehicles.

I would like a policeman to look like a policeman..

Badge, black or navy clothing, with a bulletproof vest, A taser, handcuffs, and a sidearm.

Not. Rolling up in a humvee, with an assault rifle and full riot gear for a traffic citation, or delivering a warrant.

And I would like stricter gun laws... Let's keep guns away from people with a violent history, and with mental illness. Some sensible laws may help avert some of these situations & reduce the fear the police have of the similarly strapped everyday civilian they are pulling over.

Being an officer is scary, no doubt.

I was pulled over recently for failing to signal a lane change. I pulled all the way over so I was off the roadway, and slightly leaning int the ditch, to give the officer safe distance from the roadway. I rolled my windows down. All of them. Removed my keys from the ignition and put them on the dash. I gripped my steering wheel at 11 & 1 so my hands are clearly visible.

When approached the officer asked for my license and registration. I requested permission to remove my wallet & then to open my glove box. After permission was granted I opened it with one hand and sat back and asked if he would like to check inside my glovebox first.

After the warning was given he asked why I was so cautious with him. I explained he has a scary job and doesn't know me & I don't know him. I don't want to be shot by him... Because I'm losing trust in cops for shooting first and asking questions later. And I want him to know he is safe around me --- even for a petty lane change warning.

Now imagine someone with a weapon and a cop comes up strapped for war & he's having a bad day-- and getting pulled over is the icing on the cake that day and he snaps. A readily available weapon allows him to act out of rage and kill.

If we had stricter gun laws he wouldn't have that option so EASILY available.. And the cops could use a taser or mace to subdue.

Instead it seems like we have rogue citizens who think this is the o.k. Corral and a small sect of officers that think the same.

The NRA and main stream media... More the Fox News type want us to think... You should be afraid! Go buy more guns and protect yourself.

More guns does not equal safety.. It equals more guns, more chances for a deadly weapon to be used.

In fairness, more gun laws don't equal more safety either.  CA, IL, NY, a lot of these states where these issues happen more frequently have the most strict gun laws on the books.  It's hard to imagine adding just a few more is going to tip the balance to less gun violence.

• Like 1

see something, say something. Isn't that what your government expects you to do?

I could link hundreds of such calls because someone saw someone open carry. (No, I'm not turning this into a gun debate, simply drawing a distinction).

The fact is, society is programmed by government and by convenient extension, the complicit media. THIS=BAD. So a lot of people think it is bad. THIS=NOT BAD. So a lot of people think it isn't bad. Even though events may prove otherwise. It's only those that are willing to dig a big deeper that know all the truths.

I think this was a terrorist attack based on the information I am reading. Our president says it could be workplace violence. Want to place a wager which storyline gets repeated more often over the next week?

Edited by Bella

• Moderators

"Our thoughts and prayers" is code for we don't need to change gun laws.

Interesting. And all this time when I said those words I thought I actually meant them, as I was thinking about them and praying for them. I must be completely stupid not to have been able to discern what my words actually meant.

And, are you advocating that a change to gun laws are necessary? What would you like to see changed?

Here's my thoughts: I'd like to see gun rights advocates treated in the same manner as any other right. I'd like to see the government adopt training programs similar to what the NRA provides. Perhaps we could have government subsidized training facilities in every major city, just like abortion clinics. Certainly this helps to being a 'well regulated militia.'

Why is my natural right constantly being demonized yet a right granted by government is funded, protected, promoted, and even prosthelytized?

When a politician or official says it on TV, not you.

We can't talk about gun laws on here, so unfortunately I can't respond, but I think they woukd be more in line with what the National Association of Peace Officers advocate.

I am pretty sure NRA advocates are treated the same as any other advocate for a special interest. Free to state their views and opinions, subject to other groups and individals to respond to their views. Whether people choose to accept it or not is a different matter. That has much more to do with the logic of their argument and their delivery.

Yes. Less armed. There's NO reason for cops to have anti land mine raid vehicles.

I would like a policeman to look like a policeman..

Badge, black or navy clothing, with a bulletproof vest, A taser, handcuffs, and a sidearm.

Not. Rolling up in a humvee, with an assault rifle and full riot gear for a traffic citation, or delivering a warrant.

And I would like stricter gun laws... Let's keep guns away from people with a violent history, and with mental illness. Some sensible laws may help avert some of these situations & reduce the fear the police have of the similarly strapped everyday civilian they are pulling over.

Being an officer is scary, no doubt.

I was pulled over recently for failing to signal a lane change. I pulled all the way over so I was off the roadway, and slightly leaning int the ditch, to give the officer safe distance from the roadway. I rolled my windows down. All of them. Removed my keys from the ignition and put them on the dash. I gripped my steering wheel at 11 & 1 so my hands are clearly visible.

When approached the officer asked for my license and registration. I requested permission to remove my wallet & then to open my glove box. After permission was granted I opened it with one hand and sat back and asked if he would like to check inside my glovebox first.

After the warning was given he asked why I was so cautious with him. I explained he has a scary job and doesn't know me & I don't know him. I don't want to be shot by him... Because I'm losing trust in cops for shooting first and asking questions later. And I want him to know he is safe around me --- even for a petty lane change warning.

Now imagine someone with a weapon and a cop comes up strapped for war & he's having a bad day-- and getting pulled over is the icing on the cake that day and he snaps. A readily available weapon allows him to act out of rage and kill.

If we had stricter gun laws he wouldn't have that option so EASILY available.. And the cops could use a taser or mace to subdue.

Instead it seems like we have rogue citizens who think this is the o.k. Corral and a small sect of officers that think the same.

The NRA and main stream media... More the Fox News type want us to think... You should be afraid! Go buy more guns and protect yourself.

More guns does not equal safety.. It equals more guns, more chances for a deadly weapon to be used.

In fairness, more gun laws don't equal more safety either.  CA, IL, NY, a lot of these states where these issues happen more frequently have the most strict gun laws on the books.  It's hard to imagine adding just a few more is going to tip the balance to less gun violence.

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1