RIP Scott

MyOwn

Oh my how quick people are to judge.  Jim for one, you should know that genetics and environment only increase addictive risk, not guarantee it.  Kudos to you and your siblings for overcoming the increased risk.  How about shame on those with less risk who fall into the trap?  Well we know how you feel but shit happens and some fail.  Just because someone has a greater creative spark than the rest and that leads to a modicum of success does not magically make them any less resistant than the rest of us.  Like Jim says, a lot of boring 9 to 5ers fight the same battle.  Some win some lose.  I don't understand why anyone would not want to wish a dead person RIP.  Unless it was personal.  In  my life there has been only one person whom most stood back from and refused to be a hypocrite at a funeral.  That person happened to be a scab, and worse...

I say RIP. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why anyone would not want to wish a dead person RIP

Not saying it's not a "sad" thing as I enjoyed his music very much, but he chose this, no one forced it on him. RIP for someone to me doesn't carry the same weight anymore, same as how everyone now says everything is EPIC, or prayers being sent your way.

It's a tragedy when someone dies as young as this, but he wasn't shot. He wasn't run over. He didn't have cancer. He chose a lifestyle.

RIP to me is used more when someone has died due to having something happen out of their control.A mother dying on the table giving birth,a cop being shot trying to save other people being shot, a person drowning and dying trying to save someone.There's a difference to me than a lifelong junkie who went into rehab only to take himself out numerous times is not tragic.

Maybe I'm wording it wrong, maybe I'm not PC enough for most people,but again he chose this lifestyle.No one forced him to do this. Same as the actors who died this year from overdoses. How is it a tragedy when they chose to do this to themselves? To me the tragedy is how people are revered as almost above others when they die from self inflicted choices.

I am by no means angry at anyone or anything, I just choose not to think it's as tragic as some may think it is. And of course I wish no one a bad afterlife or pain in it,I just think RIP is overused. No one deserves to die in my book either,unless they are a murderer, rapist, or hurt children.

• Like 1

Jim for one, you should know that genetics and environment only increase addictive risk

I also disagree with this as well. We are taught right from wrong as kids, and our own bodies know right from wrong just by our "gut" feelings. To me, and maybe this is just me, it's a simple choice to make. Druggies to me have always been victim based in their thought process in life vs people who have chosen to quit or people who have not done them at all are proactive in their thought process. My environment was worse than most peoples were, and I never used it as a crutch for my shortcomings, even the ones I have as an adult. Again, I see things in black and white, no grey. That doesn't make me right or wrong either, it's just my thought process,and my thought process has always been,if I can do it,anyone can. And by no means am I trying to start anything with anyone on here,it's just my opinion as yours is your opinion. Neither one of us is wrong.

Jim for one, you should know that genetics and environment only increase addictive risk

I also disagree with this as well. We are taught right from wrong as kids, and our own bodies know right from wrong just by our "gut" feelings. To me, and maybe this is just me, it's a simple choice to make. Druggies to me have always been victim based in their thought process in life vs people who have chosen to quit or people who have not done them at all are proactive in their thought process. My environment was worse than most peoples were, and I never used it as a crutch for my shortcomings, even the ones I have as an adult. Again, I see things in black and white, no grey. That doesn't make me right or wrong either, it's just my thought process,and my thought process has always been,if I can do it,anyone can. And by no means am I trying to start anything with anyone on here,it's just my opinion as yours is your opinion. Neither one of us is wrong.

Disagree all  you want, the statistics are there.  I gave my kudos to you and your siblings.

So you have a different definition of Rest in Peace.  For the rest of us, it simply means rest in peace.  It's not  PC, it's not judgemental, it's not an elevation of  status or anything other than an acknowledgement of death, and no ill wishes.

I just think it's overused in today's society as are other statements. Again, I'm neither right or wrong, nor are you or others who think that way.

Disagree all  you want, the statistics are there.  I gave my kudos to you and your siblings.

I don't want you to take this wrong on what you're saying, and I appreciate you saying it. I also hope I word this correctly.

Me coming from what I came from was how I grew up,it was the norm for me seeing this,even though I knew it wasn't normal. I don't think anything I did to get out of where I was was anything special.To me it was 2 choices and simple choices. 1. I could stay where I was and accept being the way my parents were, or 2. Get out of there and make sure I did everything I could to not be like them. I chose number 2.

My point is I wasn't victim based, I was proactive. I also don't keep people who are victim based in my immediate circle. It may sound F-ed up, but I choose this so my kids have better potential than I did growing up.

I didn't get to finish high school as I lived on my own at 16. I had to work full time as well as go to school for as long as I could. I was in gifted and talented for my whole school life. I played sports and baseball/football were my sports where I had the potential to get scholarships for college. But I had to give that up. I didn't get to go to college. I even had teachers offer to pay for me to stay in school and chose not to because I didn't want to be a burden to someone.

For a long time into my early 20's I hated the world and my parents. On my mothers and fathers death beds I told both of them that my payback to them for what they did to me was that I wasn't going to be like them and they would never see how successful I became or never see my children. I told both of them I would never forgive what they did to me, but accepted it. My father almost killed me as a 6 month old and my mother covered it up for him. I had a fractured skull, 2 broken legs,and a broken arm from him in a drug induced stupor and couldn't walk until I was 2.5. My mother and father picked up and left the state to avoid prosecution. This was 1969 so things were a little different back then. I was beaten daily when confronting people in my house,and was told to leave the house when I was 15 when a man tried messing with my 12 year old sister at the time. I could go on and on, but I don't need to.

Maybe this is why I don't feel the need to say RIP when a lifelong druggie dies when they had every chance to turn their life around, maybe it's not. Maybe it's why I see things with no grey area, maybe it's not. But this is my thought process on things and life.

Do you have an alternative for acknowledgement?  Something maybe like "OK you're dead don't come back and haunt me dude!"

Lol, I'm not happy he died, more of I just felt at some time he was going to die due to his drug use. It may not have been from drugs,it could have been a weak heart from doing them all those years.

I can say that when my parents died,and their 21 friends they were involved with died, I didn't shed a tear. To me they got what they brought on themselves.

I will also say a lot of people look at me harsh with how I am until they get to really know me. Once they do,they see how I really am. Then my A$$hole persona goes away with them.

As much as I don't like a junkie, if they came to me for help,I'd extend my hand to help them, but they'd really have to want to change for me to do that.

Edited by Jim

The point is then don't say anything, if it's not just common respect for a life gone.  MDeneen made derogatory comments about BB King.  What is the point in that?  Drug related or not?

I will leave this before it gets out of hand, but know we have differing opinions and we can agree to disagree.

I loved Alice in Chains, and unfortunately the guitar player went down the same path figuring heroin is more important than life. I think he turned up dead in a alley, if I recall.

Alice in Chains' guitarist, Jerry Cantrell, is alive and well.  Vocalist Layne Staley overdosed in his condo in 2002.

It's too bad about Scott.

I hate to see anyone pass for whatever reason. We all just have life and everyone has their own battles. I enjoyed all of Scotts work whoever he was playing with. I hope the DeLeo brothers keep on keeping as they were a big chunk of the song writing.

Here is one of their albums that i thought was very good, but never got its due, but isn't that the case with most really good content that never meets the mainstream mumbo?

STP,  Shangri La Dee Da, the whole album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTY_yK8H8cY

Edited by Max2

Is there any decent musician who is not on drugs? 

As I am reading this I just happen to notice that a Carley Simon & James Taylor duet is on.  JT was a big heroin user in the 70's.  Some make it, others do not. 

I am not sympathetic, but rock stars are under a lot of pressure created by their environment.  They have a world of people telling them they are genius and stadiums full of people essentially worshiping them.  The internal pressure to remain on top must be huge if they are not strong enough to see what is really happening in their world.  The recent movie "Birdman" was a very interesting look at this. 

Anyway, RIP.  I liked their music. 

The cold fact is that Scott loved drugs more than he loved his own children. He would rather get high than watch his children grow up, and that is what killed him. Like all junkies he was a selfish person. My condolences to his children.

Jim, your personal story is a terrible one. I am glad you were able to overcome the incredible difficulties you had to endure.