RIP Scott

MyOwn

I was a great big STP fan when they came out and them and Alice In Chains were my favorites within the grunge faction. Still am a big fan. And what I'm going to say will most likely have a bunch disagreeing with my comments.

Anyways, to me RIP is not warranted. This is a guy who had everything, money, career, women, adulation, and anything most others dream about. And what did he do? Thought he was to big for it to happen to him. I don't for one minute believe drug addiction is a real "disease",same as I don't think alcoholics have a disease. You aren't born with it either, you don't get it in your blood stream from sexual contact, you don't get it from eating bad foods.It's a habit formed due to your own lack of control. I don't for one second believe it's in our "genes", because if it was, I'd be a junkie also. My sister would be a junkie. Cancer is a disease, HIV is a disease, one of which is gotten from bad choices.

Both my parents died from AIDS from heroin use and sharing needles, both my parents were alcoholics, both my parents had every excuse in the book not to get help for their habit. And on the flip side, I know people who have gotten help for their habit. What is the difference in them? Choice,and one's body and mind having decided they've had enough and WANT to make the change in themselves.Nothing more,nothing less. When a junkie or alcoholic decides they've had enough, they will quit and find the support in order to quit.

I was around this daily as a kid and teenager,I saw people die in front of me, I saw people OD, I saw people come into our house to rob us for the drugs that were there. Why didn't I turn into a junkie due to it being in my "genes"? My younger brother and sister did the same as I and we all tried our hand at certain things, but we stopped. My sister due to religion, and me due embarrassment.My brother still dabbles in weed and beer, but why isn't he also a junkie?

It to me comes down to taking responsibility for your actions and doing something about it. I didn't want to become a low life loser like my parents, so I didn't.It's that simple to me.Others I know took longer,but also got rid of their addiction.And that's all it is, it's an addiction or bad habit. I don't see any grey in between,it's black and white for me.

Not looking to offend anyone who has had an addiction, or is struggling with that addiction, just to me it's just that. It's not a disease.Ask any person that has goner through rehab and that has stayed clean and they will all say the same thing,it happened because they were fed up and were ready to quit. There are no drugs prescribed for them to quit, they don't need to take meds daily so it doesn't come back. It's a lifestyle change. A disease doesn't make one pimp off their wife for drug money like my father did to my mother. A disease doesn't make a mother do what her husband asks because it's a disease, she does it because it's a choice she made.

So for people to say it's sad or RIP for someone who didn't have the respect to the people who gave him the life is almost a smack in the face from the person who did die to the people who did follow them. Having bought their music,I was an enabler for him to continue his drug habit. That's how I look at it.

Again, sorry if anyone takes offense to this, but I just don't see it as a real sad situation. They had a choice and chose the road more traveled.Not the one less traveled.

• Like 1

Having bought their music,I was an enabler for him to continue his drug habit. That's how I look at it.

I don't think anybody is offended or even strongly disagrees with you, but if we all boycotted music from substance abusers, our collection would be rather slim and most likely pretty boring.  

I do look up to James Hetfield for conquering his abuse habits.  Most likely this is a rare thing given the situation.  

• Like 2

Having bought their music,I was an enabler for him to continue his drug habit. That's how I look at it.

I don't think anybody is offended or even strongly disagrees with you, but if we all boycotted music from substance abusers, our collection would be rather slim and most likely pretty boring.  

I do look up to James Hetfield for conquering his abuse habits.  Most likely this is a rare thing given the situation.  

By no means was I also implying to boycott either.Just making an observation. Now hindsight is 20/20. Some of us would probably have said, myself included, that I wouldn't buy anyone's music if they refused to clean up. There are tons of musicians as well as everyday 9-5 people who have cleaned up, and who haven't cleaned up. Difference is the limelight they are cast into.

I don't disagree with you on your comment, however, I look up to the 9-5'ers that do it more than the people who have the money,backing,and fan outpour more than I do the people in the limelight. It's a little harder for them IMO.

Not sure if anybody else has seen him in concert or watched the blu-ray I posted earlier, but his on-stage persona is quite disturbing to say the least.  He dances around like a, I dunno, a stoned leprechaun auditioning for Lord of the Dance.  Being in high school in the 90's, STP was a staple, so I love the music, but I can't hardly stand watching him.  I saw them in concert in the early 2000's opening for Aerosmith, I don't remember it being quite so bad back then.  The concert blu ray is just plain weird though.  The bass guitar tone is very nice on that blu ray though, like the classic Ampeg growl.  They captured it very well.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Does anybody know the name they originally wanted to use? It was STP, the record company said "No"

STP=

Mighty Joe Young.  

I've always been surprised that they got away with using the STP oil company logo.  Just seems odd.  Supposedly the band's name actually came from this logo, but after they got famous I figured they'd get a cease and desist letter from the real STP.  

They originally said STP stood for Shirley Temple's P****

I'm glad they changed it!

Ha, wow, didn't realize that.  I thought you were asking about what the wanted to call the band before the STP thing.  

Oh…I didn't know about the Mighty Joe Young thing either.