New TV Recommendation

rockhound

Well it looks like my 8 year old Pioneer Elite has bit the dust. So have any of you done recent research on HDTV's? Here are my requirements....

1. Viewing distance is about 12.5 ft 

2. Budget of 1500

3. Content is mostly DirectTv, AppleTV and some blu rays every now and then.

4. Low lit room no direct sunlight to worry about

I don't need 4k and I don't need a smart TV I just want something reliable with a great picture, got any recommendations?

I post this same basic thought, anytime someone is inquiring about new T.V. recommendations, but I truly think it applies.  The fact that you have a budget set makes this really easy.  Go to the store that has the largest selection to view and look at all of the T.V's in your budget, preferably with the setting adjusted comparably and select the one that you think the picture looks best from your normal viewing distance, looking at the same source material on the screen.  Prior to doing this, you may want to rule out certain manufacturers and or models, based on reliability and customer service.  Once you have selected one or more models that you like the picture, features and price, just spend minimal time, searching the market price and make your decision.  If the best price is critical and saving some money is paramount, then typically the best deals will happen just prior to the super bowl, and if not, buy it and start enjoying.  What I like about a picture doesn't have anything to do with what you like.  Just my .02 cents worth.

I post this same basic thought, anytime someone is inquiring about new T.V. recommendations, but I truly think it applies.  The fact that you have a budget set makes this really easy.  Go to the store that has the largest selection to view and look at all of the T.V's in your budget, preferably with the setting adjusted comparably and select the one that you think the picture looks best from your normal viewing distance, looking at the same source material on the screen.  Prior to doing this, you may want to rule out certain manufacturers and or models, based on reliability and customer service.  Once you have selected one or more models that you like the picture, features and price, just spend minimal time, searching the market price and make your decision.  If the best price is critical and saving some money is paramount, then typically the best deals will happen just prior to the super bowl, and if not, buy it and start enjoying.  What I like about a picture doesn't have anything to do with what you like.  Just my .02 cents worth.

I don't disagree I do however want to do my research on things you mentioned and be "an informed buyer" vs listening to the sales pitch at the store. 

After almost 10 years I just bought all new TVs. 

Check out the Visio M60 C-3 to come in under budget.  Slick deals "hot deals" is a good place to watch. 

I got a Samsung 7000 series and a few 8500 series.  The 7000 is nice, but the 8500 has better wifi and a much nicer interface / remote etc.  Just set one up last night and could immediately stream HD from youtube.  The 7000 could not stream in the next room over the wi fi (these TV's are pretty far from the router).  A new router also just arrived so I hope it helps the 7000, but the 8500 is fine with the old router.  The 55" 8500 can be had for $1500.  The 65" is $2000.  These were each less on quick ebay deals on Black Friday from authorized re-sellers, but even at the current prices, they are well priced compared to over the summer.

Another nice one is the Sony 850.  A 65" is $1800 at Frys (my mother just bought one a few days ago). 

The Samsungs are also able to be controlled and mirror a phone or tablet.  That will be very nice for online content.  I will probably get rid of cable and the better TV makes it much easier to do so.

• Like 1

After almost 10 years I just bought all new TVs. 

Check out the Visio M60 C-3 to come in under budget.  Slick deals "hot deals" is a good place to watch. 

I got a Samsung 7000 series and a few 8500 series.  The 7000 is nice, but the 8500 has better wifi and a much nicer interface / remote etc.  Just set one up last night and could immediately stream HD from youtube.  The 7000 could not stream in the next room over the wi fi (these TV's are pretty far from the router).  A new router also just arrived so I hope it helps the 7000, but the 8500 is fine with the old router.  The 55" 8500 can be had for $1500.  The 65" is $2000.  These were each less on quick ebay deals on Black Friday from authorized re-sellers, but even at the current prices, they are well priced compared to over the summer.

Another nice one is the Sony 850.  A 65" is $1800 at Frys (my mother just bought one a few days ago). 

The Samsungs are also able to be controlled and mirror a phone or tablet.  That will be very nice for online content.  I will probably get rid of cable and the better TV makes it much easier to do so.

Sammy makes good stuff from what I have read. The Vizio sets both E and M series are getting good reviews for the money. Thanks for the information.

After looking for a TV since Thanksgiving I picked a 60 in Visio M series for a grand at Costco. Still in the box, unpacked. One of the last locally owned brick mortar A/V store is closing and when looking around I see a 55 inch 7 series Samsung Plasma on the wall. We talk, it is perfect, less than 50 hrs., as all top plasmas the picture is incredibly real, deep blacks without the almost too shocking "real" colors of 4K HD. $500 out the door - thanks Ill gladly take it. Back to Costco to put $600 back in my pocket and I get the plasma I wanted all along. Oh yeah, and picking up a Parasound DAC at half price to finally get into the computer/digital/streaming craze. And maybe a couple other goodies, who knows.

I'm behind on TVs. Do any of them offer an APP to control the TV from a phone/tablet?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Most of your SMART TV's do in some fashion.  I know Samsung does.

Bill

Edited by willland