The Force Awakens - Official Thread (HERE BE SPOILERS)

wvu80

It's true great minds can think alike.  If I knew the right people I might have been fairly successful at writing comedy.  I do recall watching the first several seasons of South Park thinking that they were reading my mind.  Obviously they did it on their own but people of a certain mindset tend to think along the same lines.  So I'm really kidding when I say Murray stole it from me---only because we have never met.

It's true great minds can think alike.  If I knew the right people I might have been fairly successful at writing comedy.  I do recall watching the first several seasons of South Park thinking that they were reading my mind.  Obviously they did it on their own but people of a certain mindset tend to think along the same lines.  So I'm really kidding when I say Murray stole it from me---only because we have never met.

It's actually very hard to find people within a circle that have the same mindset for things. My sense of humor was always warped as well, and in your face. I have always loved deadpan and in your face comedy. I thought the Chapelle show was brilliant, as well as Tosh.O. I think Daniel Tosh is hysterical as well as Anthony Jeselnik, Jim Norton, Dave Attell, but not so much with Dave Chapelle alone with his stand up though.

I did a bunch of songs as a pre-teen and teen that were comedy songs and recorded them onto cassette. Didn't get me anywhere though.

I so rarely go to movies now either, 150" screen and Rf 7ii's make the home experience so much more enjoyable, but I'm going out for this one. We have tickets to a 7pm 3D imax showing on the 17th! I can't think about it, I get too excited,

the only thing that helps me stay focused is that the prequels were a let down. But Lucas is gone and this one has potential to be so much more "intelligently" done!

I am also not a movie going person, but this one will get me off the couch as well.  B)

I've watched the trailers now several times, and it's clear to me what the movie is about, and the foreshadowing is done in the first trailer, with the first questions;  "who are you?  Where do you come from?"

(no spoilers, this is all well known from the trailers)

Older characters Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy all have to come to grips with their new reality and define themselves as who they are today, not who they were 30 years ago at the end of the last movie.   Things have not gone well for this group since the fall of the Galactic Empire.

The newer characters also have to come to grips with their past, even though they don't know their past. 

Kylo Ren is the new bad guy and has a connection to his past which defines his present.  But what is his true destiny?

Rey the female lead is "nobody" by her own admission but must now discover herself and choose who she will become. We know who she is, but who is she really?  What is her connection to the others, and to the Force?

Fin was a stormtrooper in the First Order but now has forsaken that order and must redefine himself, and choose his own path.  What powers lie within him?

"Who are you?" is the question the the millennials must answer for themselves, possibly for the first time in their lives.  It's a question not asked these days, but is being resurrected in The Force Awakens, a question for a new generation.

It is truly a movie for a new generation.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Or Family Guy Blue Harvest. Better than the other FG Star Wars tributes.

Red 3 standing by.

Red 6 standing by.

Red 5 standing by.

Red Buttons standing by.

Redd Foxx standing by.

Big red standing by.

Red October standing by.

Helen Reddy standing by.

Simply Red standing by.

I am also not a movie going person, but this one will get me off the couch as well.  B)

I've watched the trailers now several times, and it's clear to me what the movie is about, and the foreshadowing is done in the first trailer, with the first questions;  "who are you?  Where do you come from?"

(no spoilers, this is all well known from the trailers)

Older characters Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy all have to come to grips with their new reality and define themselves as who they are today, not who they were 30 years ago at the end of the last movie.   Things have not gone well for this group since the fall of the Galactic Empire.

The newer characters also have to come to grips with their past, even though they don't know their past. 

Kylo Ren is the new bad guy and has a connection to his past which defines his present.  But what is his true destiny?

Rey the female lead is "nobody" by her own admission but must now discover herself and choose who she will become. We know who she is, but who is she really?  What is her connection to the others, and to the Force?

Fin was a stormtrooper in the First Order but now has forsaken that order and must redefine himself, and choose his own path.  What powers lie within him?

"Who are you?" is the question the the millennials must answer for themselves, possibly for the first time in their lives.  It's a question not asked these days, but is being resurrected in The Force Awakens, a question for a new generation.

It is truly a movie for a new generation.

Also interested to see how Fin gains possession of Luke/Annakin's light saber.

• Like 1

Also interested to see how Fin gains possession of Luke/Annakin's light saber.

(no spoilers answer)

I think I sorta know, but I'd rather not say because I've read enough of the spoilers (rumors) blogs that now I can't remember what is rumor and what was in the trailers.

(spoilers maybe, directly below)

There is a whole set of books in what is called the Star Wars EXPANDED universe, but GL has made it clear that ONLY the movies are canon, so the movies will be consistent with themselves and are independent of story lines from the books, comics, cartoons and games.  I think the books could produce some outstanding movies, but the SW Cinematic Universe goes its own way.  The Thrawn Trilogy featuring Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn is super well written for adults, but there are no indications it will ever become a movie.

There is an interesting series that focuses on families, Leia and Han marry and have several kids which includes a son who goes to the dark side and daughter who becomes a powerful Jedi.  Luke marries a dark side assassin called the Emperor's Hand, turns her to the light and has a son named Ben who becomes a Jedi.  The story lines are cool but have nothing to do with the movie.  The kid's names in the books are not the same as any of the characters in the upcoming movie.

/spoilers

Edited by wvu80

There is a whole set of books in what is called the Star Wars EXPANDED universe, but GL has made it clear that ONLY the movies are canon, so the movies will be consistent with themselves and are independent of story lines from the books, comics, cartoons and games.  I think the books could produce some outstanding movies, but the SW Cinematic Universe goes its own way.  The Thrawn Trilogy featuring Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn is super well written for adults, but there are no indications it will ever become a movie.

Which makes things interesting...at least as far as the movies are concerned.  Someone in the new movie will have had to retrieve the lightsaber and it will need to work it's way to Fin.  I've tried hard not to read into too much of the speculation, preferring to wait until I see it on the screen. 

I'm also interested to see how Luke will fit in with the new movie.  Abrams has been very coy about Luke and hasn't included him in any of the trailers.  Personally, I think it's more to give the fans something to discuss/speculate on, but it was an interesting choice to purposely withhold him from any teaser/trailer. 

Which makes things interesting...at least as far as the movies are concerned. Someone in the new movie will have had to retrieve the lightsaber and it will need to work it's way to Fin. I've tried hard not to read into too much of the speculation, preferring to wait until I see it on the screen.

Very insightful.   :emotion-21:  I will respectfully decline to help your insight any further until after we have both seen the movie, but I have some ideas.

I love the action adventure genre, sci-fi adventure, etc.  Some of those movies are action scenes tied together with some dialog.  I am thinking that this particular movie will return Star Wars to its storytelling roots, with some great action/adventure in between. 

I think this will be a thoughtful movie that may inspire the younger viewers to actually ask themselves the existential question the movie raises; "who am I?"

I hope so.  B)

Edited by wvu80