Digital Photographers -- Monitor Calibration

J M O N

I'm looking for some advice from digital photographers on monitor calibration.  I have numerous photos that I haven't spent the time to post process with much attention to detail simply because I don't have a calibrated monitor.  It's been on my list of things to do (things to buy -- but I keep buying more speakers instead!).  The other part is that I'm not completely sure of what I need to do.  I'm not a professional photographer so I don't intend on spending a ton of money, but do want to get set up where at least I can be fairly confident I have a monitor that is "close" where I can get prints made and not be completely dissappointed with the results.  Although I don't rely on income from photography, it is a semi-serious hobby that I don't spend nearly as much time as I'd like to with it.

As I am planning on getting a decent HT projector, I know some monitor calibrators will also calibrate projectors so that would be a bonus.

Anyway, l know there are some pretty serious and even pro photographers on this forum so I'm looking for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Good question, I want to hear the answer also, I have a good monitor but have no clue, is a special monitor needed ? There may be something online that can be used to calibrate a  monitor ? I know I have the wrong cable on this monitor so i need to get the better on first, I never think about it.

• Like 1

FWIW.  In Windows control panel you can choose Display and there is a color calibration option. It is by eyeball

At first it didn't work for my laptop because there was a generic driver for the display but I fixed that.  Also, the laptop does not have knobs to tweek hue, contrast, brightness.  Maybe your display does.

I don't know the extent to which any of this will make the display conform to what is printed.  And maybe color printers have adjustments to play with.

In any event, the price is right.  Free.

WMcD

• Like 1

The question here is how accurate to you want to be accurate? Test discs for TV's/monitors cost about 50 dollars, test prints for scanners cost about 50 dollars, but the video adjustments that come with your video card just cost an eyeball.

JJK

• Like 1

I've been doing photography on the side for the last 12 years.  One of the best investments I made was a Gretag-Macbeth Eye-one Match monitor calibration "mouse" and software 10 years ago.  Gretag-macbeth was purchased by X-Rite years ago.  This basically looks like the same thing I have with updated marketing and software:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/894645-REG/X_Rite_cmunsml_ColorMonki_Smile_Color_Calibration.html   Modern monitors are much better calibrated out of the box than a decade ago.  But if you want your prints to match what you see on your monitor, you can't trust your eye.  For $70, I'd take a serious look at this simple device.

Note, when I say "prints" I mean images that you upload to an online lab for printing or prints on a home printer.  I have never calibrated my printer - modern epson profiles are pretty damn good.  Get your monitor calibrated with an X-rite Smile, then use something like Photoshop to use your monitor profile for editing, and then save it down to a standard sRGB color space.  From there, you can send it to an online lab (most expect files to come in with an sRGB profile) or use Photoshop to convert it to your printer profile prior to sending it to your printer.  It all starts with a properly calibrated monitor though.

If you are doing work for clients and they want to be sure "IBM Blue" looks the same online, on prints, and in magazines, then you need the really expensive calibration stuff.

• Like 1

I use software from Color Eyes Diplay Pro with a X-Rite colorimeter that I bought several years ago. This combination does a very good job of producing a very close match to the Adobe 1998 color space. What that means is my Dell 2790w monitor reproduces a wider than a sRGB color gamut. This allows me to edit photos with a very good chance that the printed picture matches the color on my monitor screen. The other thing that will help enormously is to have paper profiles for the printer and paper you use to make prints. Online photo services will have profiles for the paper they use. By using the printer paper profiles with a calibrated monitor you can "proof" the photo on screen to see if any color is out of the gamut of the paper and ink you are using. Photoshop allows this and I think Lightroom will too. Once you get your monitor calibrated either print your photos yourself or use an online service. I use an online service because in the long run its less expensive than doing right at home. And frankly no matter how much I spent on printers, paper, and ink I was never as good at printing as the guys who do it for a living.

So, how to begin? Check to see what color gamut your current monitor supports. Most newer monitors are very capable. Then look at colorimeter that supports all your intended purposes. There are ones for just about any budget and purpose.

Also, read the forums on printing at dpreview.com. Lots of great information.

Mark

• Like 1

another option is to just purchase a monitor that is 100% sRGB capable, and calibrated from the factory. That way you don't have to buy any calibration software, but you get a nice monitor?

Here's an example of one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=877854&Q=&O=&m=Y&gclid=Cj0KEQiAtMSzBRDs7fvDosLZmpoBEiQADzG1vMPHLim3PPM--Uk4pG9omdZGWdXAsGUR391HUzqAtF4aAgbp8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&A=details

"The PA248Q comes pre-calibrated right out of the box to help you avoid the confusing setup steps many monitors require. With 100% sRGB color reproduction"

There are more expensive 4k versions also, but this one is just fine for photographers at your level. Or so my professional photographer friend told me so, when I asked him in reference to this post.

EDIT: my friend also pointed out that calibration of your monitor and/or your printer is exclusive to you. Meaning that while your setup will be in 'tune,' if you have prints done somewhere else, you are at their mercy for calibration.  For us 'audiophiles,' that means that while you may have recorded the music from your meticulously set of chosen amp and speakers, it isn't going to sound the same on someone else's radio shack setup.

In those instances, choose a reputable service for reproduction accuracy.

You may also want to read here for more information on the subject:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3374743

And here for some additional resources:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll take a look at them in more detail but in the meantime, let me clarify what I am looking for. I do want a calibration device as I know that doing it by eye is just not accurate and consistent enough.  Monitors do change over time so buying a calibrated monitor will only be sufficent for a certain period of time.  As I understand, monitors should be calibrated about once every month when used in a pro-quality environment (if not more often). 

While I am just a hobbyist, I am looking for pro-quality results (or at least approaching that level).  I shoot in raw format and as such, all images require some level of post processing.  The type of results I am after would be to get photos suitable for printing and hanging on the wall.  I do like to enter some of my photos in contests such as at state fairs and such.  I have also joined photography clubs and would often enter my photos in their contests as well.

Right now I am leaning towards getting an X-Rite i1 Display Pro.  There is currently a $30 rebate that expires soon and I just missed out on a one-day sale by B&H where the price was $160.  This device normall sells in the $200 + range so I'm willing to pay around that price.  I would've bought it had I not just barely missed out on that offer.  I'll have to keep a close eye out for any other special prices.  This device can also calibrate projectors so I'm assuming it would be great for a HT projector as well.

I don't plan on printing at home so will use printing labs for that purpose.  I've printed at Costco with good results but without a calibrated monitor, I don't always get the exact result I was hoping for.  I've also used M-Pix when I want to get something a bit better than Costco.

I know that getting a monitor calibrator is just the first step and there are many things I'll need to learn with regards to color management, but I am looking to take that first step.

Edited by JMON
  • Like 1

JMON,

I calibrate my monitor once a month and let the software keep track of the final numbers. That way I can tell if my monitor is changing over time. Most people keep the brightness settings way way too high on flat panel monitors so when they print the first reaction is "my prints are too dark". 

Good Luck,

Mark

• Like 1

My photographer friend asks what gear you are using to take your photos with. He's wondering if you are putting too much effort on the back end, and not the front end, of the process. Only, he says, because of your stated status (not professional). In other words, are you using a Rebel t5 with a kit lens, or do you own professional level gear to warrant professional level processing. It starts there, he says, not at post.

• Like 1

We use a Spyder3 on one of the computers in our art lab. The man who does all of our publication editing and photo placement uses another tool, but has a special monitor that he bought for the job. He also sits in a room with no windows and turns the lights off when he is doing the initial editing and corrections, as the daylight will throw off your color balance.

They have many newer models, and they really aren't too expensive.

• Like 1

Good question, I want to hear the answer also, I have a good monitor but have no clue, is a special monitor needed ? There may be something online that can be used to calibrate a  monitor ? I know I have the wrong cable on this monitor so i need to get the better on first, I never think about it.

I'm not the expert, but I believe you don't have to have a special monitor, but there are better monitors for photo processing but they can be pricey.  I know of highly-skilled photographers (non-pros for hte most part) that use common, consumer-grade monitors and are able to produce outstanding results.  If I can get there without a pricey monitor, that's the route I would like to go.  I don't want to spend say $1,000 or more on a monitor and have to replace it every few years.

A friend of mine once loaned me his Spyder cailbration tool years ago but I was unable to calibrate my monitor.  I had an old CRT monitor and the range it was capable of just wasn't enough.  I now have an LCD monitor that should do better (still not pro-quality).  If I have to buy a better monitor, that would be a consideration but would like to attemp the cheaper way first to see if I can get it to work for my needs.

Could I interest you in a Spyder4TV HD?  http://spyder.datacolor.com/discontinued-products/

I used in to cal my TV.

Edit: I finally found out what model I have; doesn't seem right for what you need but the brand has some that are.

Thanks for the offer but that seems to be geared towards calibrating televisions (as you may have pointed out).

You don't need an expensive pro monitor, but there are consumer monitors that are better suited for photo editing vs ones that are better suited for gaming.  my samsung is at least 8 years old and needs an update, but I haven't really dug into this yet.  I'm sure if you google search "best monitors for photo editing" you will get some choices at B&H.

FWIW.  In Windows control panel you can choose Display and there is a color calibration option. It is by eyeball

At first it didn't work for my laptop because there was a generic driver for the display but I fixed that.  Also, the laptop does not have knobs to tweek hue, contrast, brightness.  Maybe your display does.

I don't know the extent to which any of this will make the display conform to what is printed.  And maybe color printers have adjustments to play with.

In any event, the price is right.  Free.

WMcD

Thanks for this tip!  I wasn't aware that it was there.  I went ahead and gave it a shot.  This is calibration by eyeball, but at least it gives some tools to use to give you a better chance with your eyeball. I'll still need a calibrator, but until then this may improve my calibration a bit.  I had used eyeball calibraiton by finding some images that contain many standard colors that are intended to be used for eyeball calibration.

The question here is how accurate to you want to be accurate? Test discs for TV's/monitors cost about 50 dollars, test prints for scanners cost about 50 dollars, but the video adjustments that come with your video card just cost an eyeball.

JJK

I'm looking for pretty accurate results -- more than just eyeballing it.  As mentioned in another post, I'm willing to spend on the order of $200 to get a calibration tool and there are some out there that are respected for less than that.  So I should be able to find something that will work well in my price range.

If you are doing work for clients and they want to be sure "IBM Blue" looks the same online, on prints, and in magazines, then you need the really expensive calibration stuff.

I don't have any clients and probably never will so likely won't have to worry about that level of accuracy.  I guess maybe I will have some non-paying "clients" on occasion in the form of friends and family. Whenever I go to weddings I normally take my gear with me and attempt to take photos (without getting in the way of the hired photographer).  I frequently get requests for my photos so I do want to provide photos that have been properly processed on a calibrated monitor.

I use software from Color Eyes Diplay Pro with a X-Rite colorimeter that I bought several years ago. This combination does a very good job of producing a very close match to the Adobe 1998 color space. What that means is my Dell 2790w monitor reproduces a wider than a sRGB color gamut. This allows me to edit photos with a very good chance that the printed picture matches the color on my monitor screen. The other thing that will help enormously is to have paper profiles for the printer and paper you use to make prints. Online photo services will have profiles for the paper they use. By using the printer paper profiles with a calibrated monitor you can "proof" the photo on screen to see if any color is out of the gamut of the paper and ink you are using. Photoshop allows this and I think Lightroom will too. Once you get your monitor calibrated either print your photos yourself or use an online service. I use an online service because in the long run its less expensive than doing right at home. And frankly no matter how much I spent on printers, paper, and ink I was never as good at printing as the guys who do it for a living.

So, how to begin? Check to see what color gamut your current monitor supports. Most newer monitors are very capable. Then look at colorimeter that supports all your intended purposes. There are ones for just about any budget and purpose.

Also, read the forums on printing at dpreview.com. Lots of great information.

Mark

Lots of good info here and the kind of stuff I need to learn.  Will bookmark for future reference.  Thanks!

P.S. I too determined a while back that using color labs for printing is probably the most economical path.  As long as I am not in a rush for the print (and I never am), I should be good with that approach.