Completely Content....At Least For Now

Youthman

• Moderators

Last night, my son and I rented Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.  I have always enjoyed the MI Series and this one did not disappoint.  Throughout the movie, I found myself continually smiling as I thoroughly enjoyed the sound from my HT.  Over the past several years, you have watched Youthman go through quite an array of Klipsch speakers.  :blink:  It was a goal of mine to own every Klipsch Reference speaker and as you can see below, I have come pretty close to it.  :D 

speaker-list-08-24-15.jpg

Last night's movie night confirmed for me that my system is right where I want it to be.  The LaScala Trio provides an incredibly seamless soundstage that is wide and has much more detail in the top end and better midrange than my previous RF-83 / RC-64.  Moving to an LCR was one of the best things I believe I have done for my setup.  I can't wait until I'm able to move them behind the new 150" AT Screen hopefully sometime in January or February.  :D 

The more I listen to the LaScalas, the more I love them.  They truly are fantastic speakers and exactly the sound that my ears like.  When I first got them, I shared that they were horrible at producing bass.  That is not entirely true.  I've now discovered they do very well at producing bass....just nothing like the slam I was used to with the previous RF-83's.  The bass that they do produce is extremely smooth and not boomy.  This is no longer a concern of mine as the (3) RSW-15's handle the bottom end.

The RSW-15 Trio provides plenty of slam for movies and pressurizes the room with ease.  One day,  I will likely move to an DIY IB setup with maybe two or four 18's just to be able to reach below 20Hz but that will be down the road after the new front wall is built.  I'm sure that will be a fun project to make.

Overall, I'm extremely content with how my system sounds right now.  It has been journey and a process that has spanned over several year period.  To the new guys....take your time...enjoy the journey.  I've had as much fun building my system and listening to various Klipsch speakers as I have enjoying what I have right now. 

Merry Early Christmas to all of my Klipsch friends.

• Like 9

The bass that they do produce is extremely smooth and not boomy.

It's a revelation, isn't it?  People equate what they hear from the car whose windows are flexing next to them in a rhythmic pattern as "bass."  Yuk. 

You know you have bass when a 32' pipe sound softly and you hear all the sonic complexity it has to offer.  Horn loaded bass, like horn loaded anything, is accurate.  Accurate doesn't satisfy everybody.  Only those who want TRVTH instead of illusion.

Dave

• Like 3

• Moderators
It's a revelation, isn't it?

Yes, it's quite different than what I always heard from typical non-horn speakers. 

You know you have bass when a 32' pipe sound softly and you hear all the sonic complexity it has to offer.

That was another thing I forgot to mention.  During Mission Impossible, there is a lot of Orchestral music for the score.  Man it sounded fantastic!

• Like 2

• Moderators
That's quite a extensive list Youth.

Living in Florida helps.  For awhile, there were amazing deals all of the time.  I bought them knowing I could easily get the money I had in them if I chose not to keep them.  The only set I wasn't able to get back what I had in them was the RF-5's.  Bought them for $450 and sold them for $425.

It sounds like you found a group of speakers with your La Scalas.

Not following you here.

I was content once but then I joined this forum.

yeah my rf-82's rc-52, 4 rs-42's and 3 rsw-10d setup was one of the best setups i had ever heard. i loved showing it off. then joined this forum. within 3 months or so i had rf-63, rc-64, rs-62, rb-61 dual pb-13 ultras. added xpa-2/5. then thought i had the greatest setup on earth. lol that lasted a year and a half.  :lol:

however i have had the cinema stuff for about two years now i believe. and the same with the 18's. i am beyond content. in fact the 6 more 18's i bought i am in no hurry at all to add them. i am happy where i am i really only bought them anticipating moving into a larger home theater hopefully. 

• Like 1

Ha Ha! I came here with a 5.1 Icon V series, a receiver, TV and an LG blu-ray player. I was in heaven and had extra disposable income. My dad had a lot of great gear that I never appreciated growing up.

I'm still in heaven but wonder how happy I'd still be without stuff I never knew about.

Like they say, It's not the destination it's the journey getting there. That's the fun part for me but I'm still trying to figure out when I'll get there. :)

• Like 2

That's quite a extensive list Youth.

Living in Florida helps.  For awhile, there were amazing deals all of the time.  I bought them knowing I could easily get the money I had in them if I chose not to keep them.  The only set I wasn't able to get back what I had in them was the RF-5's.  Bought them for $450 and sold them for $425.

It sounds like you found a group of speakers with your La Scalas.

Not following you here.

I meant to say you found a great setup with those La Scalas.

• Moderators
I meant to say you found a great setup with those La Scalas.

I gotcha.  Thanks.  Yes, I'm very pleased with them.  I've only heard pair of LS (Jeff Hoak) several years ago and I just remember how crystal clear and detailed they were.  Sooooo much sound from them and they get ear piercing loud very quickly.

• Like 2

• Moderators

WVU, yes, I'm only using the 5008.  It's an absolute beast! 

I did.  Previously I was running a Harman Kardon as a pre/pro with a Sherbourn 7/2100a (200 x 7) amp. 

I purchased this system as an "Lot Asis" for $1100.  After getting it all home, I discovered the 5008 was completely locked up and had to send it off for repair.  Think it cost me $200 to have it repaired.  The batteries in the Monster UPS were bad.  The lady was moving and called me the next morning to see if I wanted this 82" Mitsubishi TV for free since she was moving and didn't want to pay to keep it in storage.  Heck yeah!  Kept it for about a month then realized I had no need for it since watching 80" vs 103" in the HT wasn't very impressive.  Sold it and the 6 pair of 3d glasses for $1000.

In the end, I decided to keep the 5008, the HDMI cables and the Reese Hitches.  I gave Wakejunkie the 1008 and sold the rest for a total of $2988. 

After using the 5008 for awhile, I realized I no longer heard any sonic difference with or without the Sherbourn amp due to the LaScalas high sensitivity so i sold the Sherbourn.  When I had the RF-83 / RC-64, I did hear a difference (not night and day), mostly in added bass (even at lower volume) and better separation of musical instruments. 

So do you now have ten 18" subs?

yes and no. ten are in my house. the 4 going on in the theater now. and six sitting in their packaging waiting on boxes to be built. i'll add on to my build thread. but having the 4 18's already i am in no hurry. maybe spring. i am currently having fun building other things right now. got some fun things in the works.

I have personally experienced 10 18" subs at an AVS GTG back in November. John Wick sounded amazing! (sidenote - don't mess with a man's dog)

8 SI 18s were up front and 2 HSTs were right behind you for nearfield. 

To me - there is no substitute for nearfield 18s. I hope to have some solid horn loaded subs up front one day, but that will accompany some sealed subs nearfield (maybe 18s, maybe 21s...maybe even a 24...I ain't picky about size). 

• Moderators
yes and no. ten are in my house. the 4 going on in the theater now. and six sitting in their packaging waiting on boxes to be built. i'll add on to my build thread. but having the 4 18's already i am in no hurry. maybe spring. i am currently having fun building other things right now. got some fun things in the works.

Yes, that's what I was asking.  So you have plans to have ten 18" in your setup.  You have issues bro?  LOL

• Like 1