*wanted* K-400 horn lens

Matthews

I believe the top one is the oddball. Lars

actually the bottom one is the odd ball, to me.  They do both have near identical dimensions except the mounting holes are slightly different.  This is purely a cosmetic issue.  I have OCD and it will drive me nuts...

If I weren't planning on keeping this pair, it really would not matter.  However, this pair is home now :) 

Thanks

• Like 2

post-36834-0-31640000-1451178443_thumb.j

So, the top one has the big "PWK" in the casting? So what does the other one show for info or ID ? Lars

several differences...

The one with the seam also has the odd ears on the outside of the lens throat and the BIG k-400 id near the lip/mouth

edit: Geeze, this is going to drive me bonkers :wacko:

Edited by Matthews

I believe the top one is the oddball. Lars

actually the bottom one is the odd ball, to me.  They do both have near identical dimensions except the mounting holes are slightly different.  This is purely a cosmetic issue.  I have OCD and it will drive me nuts...

If I weren't planning on keeping this pair, it really would not matter.  However, this pair is home now :)

Thanks

Oh yea, I hear you. I suffer the same thing, and every time I'd look at them it would bother me. Question is someone must have done that in the past. I couldn't see it coming from the factory like that. Anybody chime in on that.

• Like 1

I bet it did come from factory like that.....The odd one is from around 1972 or earlier my 1972 k-horns have those in them. Depends on when they started getting the newer ones might have just put them in to get rid of one older one. Probably just different companies making them..Rick

Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

If it matters....  the one on the right with the logo (and K400 stamp) centered, is exactly like mine which were bought new in 1979.

Might give an idea of how old it is.  I'll bet the one on the left is a newer version where they trimmed some excess off to save materials/manufacturing costs (??)

• Like 1

Can you tell what year those Scalas are from ???

I can't, Rick.  They do have back panel factory labels but the hand written serial numbers have disappeared.  One is in much worse condition than the other (water damage). They plywood was separating badly.  I got good handle on it today (glue/clamps/sanding).  With a little wood filler, I think it will actually turn out quite nice in the end.

post-36834-0-62160000-1451350270_thumb.j

• Like 2

Don't the older ones ring less?

all the K400 horns ring - as do the tweeter k77 -T35-T350 metal horn -and it was definitely more costly for PWK to purchase a metal horn - versus a plastic unit -

-so did PWK actually prefer the ringing tone of the K400 - it sure seems like it -

• Like 1