Refinish cabinets?

LeonBryant

So, I just purchased a solid pair of Forte IIs on eBay. I've ordered new tweeter diaphragms and crossovers from Bob Crite. While the cabinets are solid, they do have a few scratches because they did not get the TLC they deserved over the years!

My question is whether any of you have done any refinishing on cabinets? One school of thought is to leave the in their vintage condition, and that would not bother me. But I'd like everyone's thoughts on this. Can they be sanded and then stained again? Will that affect their value in any way?

The online Klipsch family is awesome and i really appreciate the knowledge in the forums.

Leon

post-62186-0-47600000-1452283536_thumb.jpost-62186-0-04000000-1452283555_thumb.j

First off, Welcome to the forums.

Is the damage on the corner in one of your pictures the worst of the damage? If so personally I would try to fix that. Do you know what the finish is? Is it oil or lacquer, I mean. Oil finishes are very easy to redo/renew, lacquer takes more time and skill. This assumes you intend to keep these, which sounds like you do since you have already contacted Mr. Crites.

I really am not sure, babdono. I'm going to assume it's probably oil-based stain. So, I should be able to refinish the same way I'd refinish any solid wood cabinet? In other words they are not laminated as some other brands of speakers?

Yes, I am definitely keeping them! :)

Thanks!

Your finish is Oiled Oak veneer. That is a thin piece of veneer over MDF.

The only way to fix that would be to splice in a small piece of Veneer or totally revenuer them.

If I was me, I would keep them the way they are and if it really bothered me, I would keep my eyes out for a perfect set and replace them when the opportunity presents itself.

While those speakers have an excellent sound in my opinion, they are not valuable enough to justify a revenuer in my opinion.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and enjoy the ride :)

Roger

I am in the process of redoing mine that came in black. The tops were warped due to water damage. I redid the covers already,and will be sanding down the speakers and attaching Brazilian Rosewood veneer.

Cost of the fabric was $40.00, cost of the veneer was $150.00. Cost of the speakers was $350.00. I also did the Crites crossovers and ti diaphrams.

post-59264-0-35360000-1452288312_thumb.j   post-59264-0-65720000-1452288327_thumb.j

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

I am in the process of redoing mine that came in black. The tops were warped due to water damage. I redid the covers already,and will be sanding down the speakers and attaching Brazilian Rosewood veneer.

Cost of the fabric was $40.00, cost of the veneer was $150.00. Cost of the speakers was $350.00. I also did the Crites crossovers and ti diaphrams.

attachicon.gifspeaker veneer.jpg   attachicon.gifupdate speaker pic 2.jpg

They should be very pretty when you are done :)

Roger

attachicon.gifspeaker veneer.jpg   attachicon.gifupdate speaker pic 2.jpg

Those should look great when you're done

Mark

If it is oil finish as Roger states this is what I would do. Fill that crack/missing veneer with this:

https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/plastic-wood-solvent-professional-wood-filler/

use the natural or lightest oak one because when you re oil it will darken. Sand your patch to the original lines of the wood so the smallest amount of patch remains just to cover the defect. Then use one of these:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-wood-finish-stain-marker

to mimic the darker grain strands in the oak veneer

Then lightly resand the entire cabinet. Be careful when re sanding because as others have stated the veneer is THIN.

Then re oil with Watco natural oil finish.

• 2 years later...