Should be under $1,000

Coytee

Little update.

I'm wondering if Lucky might be a good name.  I'm also thinking about "Winchester" or "Magnum" or something like that.

Just hung up with the Vet's office.  Spoke to the gal who sets the appointments (verses the Vet himself)

She said dog is doing great and acting very happy (maybe I'll name him Happy!)

She said the Doc said it looks like instead of being kicked as per original thought, once he got in there, it looks more like he might have been shot. (in the mouth)  :emotion-45:  :angry:  :emotion-45:

Sometimes I despise the human race.   :angry2:

I was told I might be able to pick him up tomorrow.  If so, I'll get a picture or two and post them.

• Like 1

My means are not without limits.

Chloe: (white dog in avatar) about $2,000 after she was lost, then found at the lake edge UNDER the embankment, had been snake bitten, lump in her throat about the size of a lemon.  Had an infection on her side about the six inches across.  When I went to pick her up, they let her go from another room...and she came out to see me.  I didn't even recognize her.  (clay coloring from the lake had turned her to a reddish brown)

Freckles: $3,000  had urethera (sp) issues and leaked.  Vet did $1,500 worth of tests, recommended we take her to the teaching Vet school (UT Vet school).  Turns out they did another $1,500 worth of tests....were the SAME DAMN TESTS my vet did.  They recommended (as HE did and the exact reason why I took her there) that maybe a collegen injection in there would help.  I said screw you....  another $1,500 can buy a LOT of diapers!  Really ticked me off.

Otis:  $1,500  He's our Parvo survivor.  Got him as a pup...2 days later, back to the vet with parvo diagnosis.  They had him for a week and he survived.

Rosie:  $750  Born with a malformed ball joint on her femor.  Could hardly walk.  Vet diagnosed it, said surgery could cut the ball off and being so young, her muscles would compensate for it as it healed and she'd be normal.  As it healed, it turned out she was a little rocket when she ran.  She ran like the wind.  This extra mobility got her running with our dogs as they followed the truck.  My wifes cousin was in the truck.  She got to close to the tire and was run over/killed.

Carrot Top: Cat  about $1,000  Been diagnosed with diabetes.  Give him 4 shots per day.

Blackie: Cat  $600 I think.  Did something and stretched some of her tendons or something.  Had to be in a full leg cast for about 3 weeks for it to heal.

Daisy: dog $1,000 the pads on her paws were "rotting" off.  Vet said she was probably kept in confined area and the acidity of her urine was ripping up her pads.  Whatever it was, once we got her here, it healed.

These are just the quick ones that come to mind.  Daisy and Chloe also had eye issues (surgery)

Found another 6 dogs out here that we got to vet for shots before finding them new owners.

We seem to be a favorite dumping ground.

It was so bad at one time that my vet's wife (jokingly) said she was about ready to start putting in requests from us...  "Say Richard, anyone leave a Lhasa Apso or a Poodle lately???  We have someone looking for one....what's in your inventory???

Sigh.

I use to say I have a $200.00 limit on dogs.  That was until the first time I took Ginger to the emergency vet for chewing sugar free gum(turns out its deadly to them).  That was over $200, at this point I had over $500.00 with adoption and mange treatment.   Then I was blind sided when I took Bandit in to get his teeth cleaned, that was over $400.00 as they had to pull 11 teeth(turns out most dogs don't even use their teeth for eating).  Sigh. 

Brindle_boxer_female.JPG

He stayed at vet again last night.  Might again tonight, not sure.  Seems that is day by day.  Once we bring him home, we'll be feeding through the tube.

Called the Humane society of East Tn 

http://www.humanesocietyetn.org/Adoptable_Dogs.html

Turns out the gal I spoke with there, is best friends with one of the gals at my Vet.  She was going to call her yesterday (gal at society was going to call gal at vet) and try to get some pictures so they can post them on their site.

She asked if we'd foster him while they look for home, I said yes....  at the risk of becoming attached.

The Vet is calling him Bullet.  My wife and I are leaning more towards Lucky.

I talked to the vet yesterday.  He confirmed that the dog has been shot.  Bullet went through the front of the face (I'm thinking near the nose), through the mouth.  Broke at least one tooth and tore up his tongue.  Lodged itself back near the spine (base of the head I guess?)

No bones broken, missed the brain and missed the spine itself.  Actually, seems it's rather lucky!!

He said the bullet is there to stay.  Dog was responding very well and starting to act more like a puppy.

I'll be in that area both today and tomorrow.  I'll be talking to the Vet about when I can bring him home.  I'll get some pictures then.

• Like 2

Meet Lucky.

You can see a little red mark in his front lip.  I'm guessing that's where the bullet entered.  I saw the X-ray.  Seems it broke his canine tooth, took a slice out of his tongue and ended right at the vertebra.

I saw the X-ray and took a phone picture.  I'm not sure if/how I can transfer the phone picture here, I'll try.  The bullet looks like it either stopped just short of the bone or more likely, had lost most of its momentum and stopped at the bone.

You can see the feeding tube hanging out of his throat.

He weighs 29 1/2 pounds.  Vet said he thinks he's about a year old, not 5 months as previously thought.

Oh, and the bill is currently at $1,300, not under 1K as originally thought.

We have him in a little "mud room" as the wife calls it.  She's preparing a dog crate for him so he'll be segregated from the other dogs while healing and have a side access door to go outside (on leash).  She's put a little space heater in there for him and put a separate bed near the door so when he's out of the crate, he can lay there and watch outside yet still be protected.

post-12967-0-17620000-1452818994_thumb.j

post-12967-0-22540000-1452819051_thumb.j

Edited by Coytee