Should be under $1,000

Coytee

Here's his X-ray.  You can see "snow" pattern in his mouth....those are chips of his teeth that were damaged.  Bullet is in back of head.  You can also see the feeding tube on his throat.

Feeding him has been interesting.  Take some water, put it into the tube to clean it out.  Take three (large) syringes of this mush food, push it down the tube.  Take more water to clean it out again (and to give him some hydration)

Let it sit for a moment for the contents in the tube to settle to the stomach....then, through the tube, you can hear a gurgle/gurgle....which evidently, is the water leaving the tube for the stomach.

He has then had his stomach growl a bit and what seems to have been, a belch. 

2-cans of high density food, designed for tube feeding per day along with 2-cups of moistened (dry) dog food.  Pain pill in the morning and his de-worming stuff at night, mixed in with his food.

Brought him into house today, in an enclosed room (where speakers are) so he can meet/interact with our other dogs one at a time under some controlled conditions.  Introducing him first to Chloe (avatar picture) as she's the most friendly of all of them and likes everyone she meets.  Will worry about other dogs later on.

Also brought a crate in here for him so he can stay in here and start getting acclimated to what goes on inside the house instead of the garage room he was in for 2-days.

Spoke to the wife about what to name him?

I don't care for "Bullet" as I don't care to keep that memory alive.  "Lucky" came to mind....  

(keep in mind that regardless of what I come up with, I'll go with whatever she wants)

Then, with the offers above, I got to wondering, could I somehow show some homage to the Klipsch forum?

Could I call him:

"Belle"  Hmmm...nope, he's a he...  so Belle won't work

'Scala'??  Doesn't ring my bell either

How about "PWIK" (pronounced like prick but with a 'w' instead of an R) , as in "PWK"

nope....don't care for that either...  sounds like I'm speaking with a lisp.

I then asked wife, what do you think about "Wilbur"???

She stopped...  said he kind of looks like a Wilbur to her

She's putting Wilbur under consideration, along with Lucky.

post-12967-0-17020000-1452961221_thumb.j

• Like 1

Second realization....

I have not yet ever heard him bark.  The most I've heard is a soft wimper.

Not sure if using his tongue might be part of a bark and it's sore...  or maybe he's just quiet (unlike Chloe who's quite the yapper)

Went to the vet today and had the tube pulled out of his throat.  He's gained about 3 pounds (which represents about 10% of his weight!!)

On walking in, everyone at the vet said they could tell he's gained some weight.  Not only that, he's gained some energy....wanting to play more with our dogs.  Trouble is....one of our dogs...  isn't too playful and although she's half his height, she probably has 5 solid more pounds on her and she's a "take no prisoners" type.  We keep them separated.

He's spent more time with the other dogs in the basement room (finished room where the Jubilee's are) so if nothing else, he's being exposed to some nice sound.

He barked last night for the first time I'm aware of.  Might have been more of a blurt than a true bark....but he's trying.  I'm wondering if his mouth/throat are still a bit sore and it's easier for him to be quiet.  He does whine a bit when you prepare to take him outside or feed him or go for a ride.

Not sure yet that he enjoys a car ride.  I've had to pick him up and put him in the car.  The other dogs will bounce and jump right into the back seat.

It really seems as though he's 4 weeks old and doesn't know anything or been exposed to anything.  The vets assistant was speculating that perhaps he's been meandering around wild.  This would explain his wildness...but, not explain that we found a flea collar on him when he showed up.

He's a climber.

Wife went to the mud room to walk him....couldn't find him.  Then she heard a noise.  Turning to look....we have one of those plastic (cheap plastic) garbage cans.  Can is in corner of room with cheap plastic lid on it.  Dog is standing on the lid working his mouth through a couple cracks in the lid to pull some paper out.  He freezes as he realizes he's been busted.  Then....the (cheap) plastic lid starts to slowly bend as he is sinking into the can.  (when in reality, the lid is simply going from an upward / outward curve to a more flat position)

That kind of freaked him out so he jumped off.  Wife pulled the can into the garage and out of the mud room.

He's kind of skittish.  If you pet him while he's not looking, he'll startle easily.  If you clap your hands, make a noise....he's quick to twitch.  Chloe was a bit like this when we first got her.  Today, she's the most outgoing & social of the bunch.  Maybe the wife can work her magic on him.

My wifes brother and nephew are here.  They're emptying out their fathers (deceased) garage....after 2 1/2 years.  I guess they wanted to wait until it was 14 degrees instead of doing it in the 60's or 80's.

We've been busying cleaning out the house for the last couple days so Wilbur has had some quiet time while the other dogs get to roam wild/unleashed outside.  Not very fair but I don't trust that he'll just run away and compound his problems. 

Vet said we can give him a bath now in spite of the little hole in his neck.  Went on to say that as the entry point for his feeding tube heals, we might see some ooze come out and not to panic.  Just wipe it away.  Said the tiny hole should heal in a couple days.  I have to take him (Wilbur) back to the vet in about a week to get the rest of his sutures out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The rest of the story:

Lucky healed a bit more.  I don't recall what I might have said earlier in the thread but, it's simply easier/faster for me to type it again than read it!!

So he healed, had tube taken out, got him 'fixed', got him his shots.....so he's ready.

I listed him in Craigslist on a far fetched idea that maybe someone would be looking for a younger dog.

He has turned out to be an absolute sweetheart of a dog (most are!) but he really, really seems to have a wonderful disposition.  He's simply a "NICE" dog!

I was nervous at first about letting him out without a leash....so we kept pretty tight control over him.  Our dogs run loose as they know where the house is and won't run off.

(before anyone gets religious about dogs running loose, realize that I'm at the end of a dead end road.  A lake surrounds the farm on three sides so we have zero through traffic.  We have some acreage surrounding us so have no issues with other people....  you can almost call me a hermit!!)

Anyways, nervous about letting him out.  If we keep him I know we have to face that sooner or later.  Finally got him out on the leash and got him accustomed to coming to me on command.

Finally, I went out with some treats, let him loose and he was utterly fantastic.  He went to the far side of the field to play with (rough house) our smallest dog Chloe.  (she's also the fastest and most athletic)

When he was WAY over there, I called him.....he left her and came racing to me full speed.  He turned out to have a habit of almost running me over (whomever called him)

Wife & I went to field and took turns calling him from one end to the other.  Wanted to get him used to coming on command and also wanted to wear him out!

One morning, around 5:30 I took him out....I asked myself, am I ok if he's not on a leash???  I went out with him and took it off.  Now, we usually have dear hanging out in the side field so I went away from it.  Don't you know, we had several deer in the main field and we were walking right towards them.  They ran into the woods, up the hill, down the other side and then went from my left to right (couldn't go any other way or they'd run into the lake!)

I called him and nothing.....I was kicking myself.  It's dark, he's chasing some deer....I don't know if he'll find way back or even want to.  My dogs can be gone for 2-3 hours (or 5 minutes) when they chase after a deer.

I called again and I heard some rustle going from right to left.....I wondered if he was backtracking or I was hearing another deer?

I called again....silence.....called......suddenly, he bolted into the light (dark out, house lights on illuminating the field a LITTLE bit)  He was again, racing full steam towards me and just about barreled me over.

I was now 100% comfortable that I can take him out without a leash and he'd respond to me.

I got a couple emails on Craigslist about him.  One was a gal who said she had a dog, wanted a friend for him (knew Lucky had been fixed), also wanted a dog for her son.

She came over with her son.  Seems she has three children.  One of them has had a heart transplant at the age of 3.  Her dog (Marley) was about the size of Lucky and was intended for her 8 year old...  Her husband was against them getting a dog but, when her 3 year old saw the dog.....he started talking.  Seems he had been near mute prior to then and the addition of Marley kick started his speaking.

So Marley stays!  Marley was also earmarked for the eldest child, but it seems Marley bonded with the 3 year old and is actually acting more like an alert dog for them when the child has some issues.

So now, the 8 year old is a bit let down that "his" dog has bonded with his little brother.....enter their search and finding Lucky.

They came out, we all met and played in the field.  They liked Lucky so they left and the following Saturday, the whole family returned and, they brought Marley with them.

Lucky & Marley immediately took to each other.  They were racing & prancing in the field, taking turns chasing each other, stealing the ball and running away.

Looked like it was going to work.

Plans were made to take Lucky to them the following Sunday (last Sunday)

My wife had not seen any of this.  She told me she was nervous.  "if they have 3 children, they don't need one dog, let alone 2 dogs!"

"She's got a special needs child.....  how can she also handle one dog, let alone Lucky??"

"They better not beat the dog while training him"

"I'm a far better judge of people in these matters than YOU are"

So this is the attitude she went with when we went over to their house with Lucky.  I told her that if they "failed" her standard, I was going to let HER break the childs heart because I personally, was very comfortable with the situation.

We got there and they had made home-made dog treats.  The husband had told Marion some of his tecnhiques on training them.

They explained that they are hoping on training Marley to become a service dog for their special needs child....and hope Lucky can also do same.

I can see my wife slowly coming around!

It was starting to look like they finally passed her test....

We were getting ready to leave and I poked her to look and notice.....

Their eldest child was inside the fenced area with the dogs.  Marley was over to the side chewing on the chew toy.  

Lucky?

Well, Lucky was sitting at attention, fully facing the boy, his back was 100% facing us as he was concentrating on what the boy was doing/saying.

I nudged her and said "I think it's going to be ok"

We left.

Honestly, it was a pretty bitter-sweet moment.  I'll miss that trouble maker!!

• Like 2

We decided Wilbur didn't work....we kept going back to Lucky.

Their boy told me he was going to name him...

Well, to be honest, I forget.  I'm pretty sure it's the name of a super hero.

Something like Beowolf or Super Bay.  I forget.

Just got back to this thread.  Thanks for the nice comments.  I about busted my gut with the Richard Simmons picture.  That was funny.

We've not yet heard from the new family.  We traded emails/phones.  Wife asks every day....  nothing yet.  Why don't you email HER and ask her how it's going?

Well honey, I gave you their email/phone information....I'll be more than happy to do so when you retrieve it for me.

She keeps putting of getting it for me and keeps asking me if I've done it.

I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.