custom d'appolito heresy with 2x 10in or 8inch woofers?

efzauner

well then it's a good thing my Cornwall XO's didn't implode when I put the squawker and tweeter on top of the cabinet, horizontal to each other, and physically time aligned. my ears must be broken too. ;)

Always the dramatic one.  Take a look at a Cornwall one and a Cornwall  two.  Notice how the woofer is in  different place.  I remember reading that even if you used the same drivers and horns, the crossover wouldn't interchange due to the driver orientation.

And i had my cabinet laying on its side. the woofer wasn't even directly underneath the other drivers. *gasp* :P

this is too complicated.. I think I will buy Bose... :P

agreed the simplest thing to do is try a few things!

thanks guys. 

If I were doing this and just wanted to try a few things I would make the Mid and Tweeter on a removable mount so you can rotate them easy to see what sounds the way you want.  Like this guy.

klipsch lunch-037.JPG

That crossover in a heresy is designed for it sitting the way it does. Not any other way.

wait, what?

I'm thinking he means tweeter, mid, woofer config, not cabinet orientation.

regardless, the crossover is not designed with regard to wave dispersion patterns. its function is the splitting of electrical signals between drivers. right?

No there design with the baffle and layout of the drivers in mind as wel.

this was always my understanding. But who knows. Lots of things I'm wrong about. Just disregard anything I've said.

If you want a true d'appolito, close attention needs to be paid to:

- both the distance between the woofers and next driver in the crossover (three-way would be the mid) and themselves - the driver interaction will cause nulls at particular frequencies in the vertical axis

- crossover slope for the lobes and nulls.  There are different recommendations for 2, 3, or 4 db per octave roll-off

- frequency of the crossover - to allow the proper driver interaction because driver distance is a larger component of the design than the original speaker was

- listening position and height due to narrower listening window from the d'appolito design

An additional 2cents.

Or I'm wrong - don't just fold up because someone disagrees with you. I was really hoping Chris A would chime in. Or maybe Roy?

not folding up. I've really ventured off into the DIY world. And I'm only starting to learn about crossover stuff. So I was just saying im learning and could be 100% wrong. I'll sit back and wait on others as to chime in. I'd love to hear from Roy myself as well. I've been debating going active on cinema gear just to try and found settings reccomended for it. It says to delay the hf horn. That makes zero sense to me when the woofers are direct firing. But once against that's me just being theoretical and not really knowing what I'm doing all at the same time.

this is too complicated.. I think I will buy Bose... :P

agreed the simplest thing to do is try a few things!

thanks guys. 

If I were doing this and just wanted to try a few things I would make the Mid and Tweeter on a removable mount so you can rotate them easy to see what sounds the way you want.  Like this guy.

klipsch lunch-037.JPG

how fast can that rotate? does it have a motor on it like the old Leslie? 

Problem Solved....Snagged a lovely minty pair of KLF-C7!  for C$100 each! Less than a couple of DIY woofers!

Now to find a pair of KLF-20 of 30.... I think I know where!

CF4 or CF3 would be dandy too. 

What would be a decent price for them? notwitstanding the baffle board deglue issue...

I don't see many coming up for sale. 

So...pair of ugly Heresy walnuts for sale... and the 9.5/10 Tangent 400s when I get a replacement.

Problem Solved....Snagged a lovely minty pair of KLF-C7!  for C$100 each! Less than a couple of DIY woofers!

Now to find a pair of KLF-20 of 30.... I think I know where!

CF4 or CF3 would be dandy too. 

What would be a decent price for them? notwitstanding the baffle board deglue issue...

I don't see many coming up for sale. 

So...pair of ugly Heresy walnuts for sale... and the 9.5/10 Tangent 400s when I get a replacement.

Your in Montreal? PM me info on the Heresy set if you don't mind.

CF4 or CF3 would be dandy too. What would be a decent price for them? notwitstanding the baffle board deglue issue... I don't see many coming up for sale.

CF-4 v1 in great shape $800.

CF-3 v1 in great shape $600

Those are top price points, so version, condition and location need to be figured in as well.  And you are right, you don't see them come up for sale all that often.  Owners have cult-like devotion to them so you don't see them on CL everyday, but they do come up every few months.

Edited by wvu80

That wasn't for rotating.  It was a prototype.  I'm thinking they were made that way for ease of removal and replacing during research and development.

Not really.  But, maybe a prototype.  The tweeter/squawker plate is made so you can keep the wide dimension of the horns horizontal no matter the orientation of the cabinet.  That preserves the horizontal dispersion the designer intended.  It's pretty common in pro audio. 

My brother built a Heresy based center channel. I think he used two 8 inch woofers in parallel and placed the squawker and tweeter long axis vertical.  It gives the center channel high directivity and gets the woofer centerlines pretty close together (I remember discussing that with him along with the wavelength of 700 Hz.  If you want I can get his design details when he gets back in town. 

Not really. But, maybe a prototype. The tweeter/squawker plate is made so you can keep the wide dimension of the horns horizontal no matter the orientation of the cabinet. That preserves the horizontal dispersion the designer intended. It's pretty common in pro audio.

That makes sense as far as rotation goes but they were definitely prototypes that Roy showed us last year.