The Universe as a Hologram - I Dreamed a Dream of Life

Jim Naseum

One can dream and imagine, but that dream is not reality. A person cannot create from dreams, excepting that a person may take the ideas dreams create and actualize them through physical actions.

If you say different ... you're dreaming :D

So Neil Diamond was wrong when he sung 'I am... I said' and this?

"Did you ever read about a frog

Who dreamed of bein' a king

And then became one

Well except for the names

And a few other changes

If you talk about me

The story's the same one"

Mark Twain said the same thing if you look at Mungkiman's post.  But don't misquote Descartes.  Call a corollary a corollary from the start.  Personally I don't think Descartes ever meant the corollary or even thought it.

Edited by oldtimer

Except for those who don't believe there is a reality independent of the mind. Well, that's at least me.

Not sure you understand it.  Main point of the final is that there is NO reality independent of the mind. 

Goes back to Descartes, "cogito ergo mundus talis est."

Barrow and Tipler: "Observers are necessary to bring the Universe into being."

Dave

What I read of B&T is that the conditions of the universe are necessarily those that can be comprehended by "life". And, it appears that they certainly view human life as objects within a real universe.

Except for those who don't believe there is a reality independent of the mind. Well, that's at least me.

Not sure you understand it.  Main point of the final is that there is NO reality independent of the mind. 

Goes back to Descartes, "cogito ergo mundus talis est."

Barrow and Tipler: "Observers are necessary to bring the Universe into being."

Dave

Descartes? He is intuiting his EXISTENCE. And, it is well within some universe.  In short, it would be the opposite proposition.

And you don't.

Of course not.

If all our minds died in the next minute, would not the mockingbird in my yard sing in the morning?  Would the cats still not scratch the bald cypress trunks and the squirrels not find the acorns?  What arrogance do you subscribe to that says the universe only exists because we think it does?  The anthropic cosmological principle people are bad enough, but that is a magnitude of order worse.

And you don't.

Of course not.

If all our minds died in the next minute, would not the mockingbird in my yard sing in the morning?

No. How could he sing, when he is not an independent object?

Would the cats still not scratch the bald cypress trunks and the squirrels not find the acorns? 

No.

What arrogance do you subscribe to that says the universe only exists because we think it does?  The anthropic cosmological principle people are bad enough, but that is a magnitude of order worse.

Why would arrogance favor one position or another? We ARE the universe looking back on itself. Playing hide and seek. Our minds are just the universe expressing it's energy. The mocking bird and the tree and the human are just lumps in a fabric of energy.

I would think "arrogance" might apply to those who imagine they are unique and separate objects. 

Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face
Caesars Palace, morning glory, silly human race
On a sailing ship to nowhere, leaving any place
If the summer change to winter, yours is no disgrace

Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are
Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are
Lost in summer, morning winter, travel very far
Lost in musing circumstances, that's just where you are

Caesars Palace, morning glory, silly human, silly human race
If the summer change to winter, yours is no
Yours is no disgrace, yours is no disgrace, yours is no disgrace

Death defying, mutilated armies scatter the earth
Crawling out of dirty holes, their morals, their morals disappear, yeah

Caesars Palace, morning glory, silly human, silly human, silly human race
If the summer change to winter, yours is no
Yours is no disgrace, yours is no disgrace, yours is no disgrace

Battleships confide in me and tell me where you are
Shining, flying, purple wolfhound, show me where you are
Lost in summer, morning winter, travel very far
Lost in musing circumstances, that's just where you are 

Descartes? He is intuiting his EXISTENCE. And, it is well within some universe. In short, it would be the opposite proposition.

Wasn't referring to Descartes particularly.  Might have been any number of similar thoughts on the situation. Actually, he was rather late to the party.

Dave

• Like 1

Today, Mark on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.  :P 

Third Eye

Where is that somewhere when you are on LSD or DMT?

When you're on acid you're tripping. :)
Yes, tripping into another dimension out of the limit less dimensions possible. The mind creates all these worlds. Imagine the mind of a schizophrenic. Which ever state you are in, you could never be convinced there are others.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Man cannot, by force of will alone, create something by simply imagining it to be. Man can, by knowledge and logic, discover the nature of what has been created. This is a real world, the reality of which we may understand if our perception of that reality reflects the nature of that reality. We exist within a four dimension space-time continuum that is part of a 10 dimension universe. We can see and experience only the four dimensions in which we exist and we cannot see the others, which likely create the four dimension continuum that is the visible universe.